CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinematour Discussion   » Hanford, CA photo trip (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hanford, CA photo trip
Daniel Fuentz

- posted April 29, 2003 01:06 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
Today's trip to Hanford went well, photowise. I brought along my 11 year old nephew who helped out with picture taking. (Normally he takes good photos, but we'll see how these turned out when we get them back from the developer. [Big Grin] )

The first cinema I arrived at was the Hanford Mall theater, Cinemark's "Movies 8". I got several shots of the entrance and box office, located just inside the mall entrance. I was too nervous to go inside the lobby to take pictures becuase there was someone at the snack bar, so my nephew offered to go in and he took 4 or 5 shots of the lobby and snack bar. "You'll need more than just the outside for the website", he says. (Looks like we've got the next generation of CinemaTour fans in training! [Big Grin] ) If the girl cleaning the popcorn machine noticed him taking pictures, she gave no sign of it.

Next on the agenda was "The Movies" one of Cinemark's second-run dollar theaters (50c matinees). I had planned to go back to the Hanford Mall cinema to actually see a movie, but my nephew wanted to go to the dollar theater for some reason. It was 5:00, and the movie didn't start until 7:15, so I took some exerior photos, we bought our tickets and headed out to the Hanford Fox theater.

The Hanford Fox is currently being restored. Some of the wall around the entranceway was torn off but the rest of the theater looked very nice. I took several shots of the marquee and the "lookout tower" on top of the theater. Just inside the front door there was an old projector on display that I tried to get a shot of but I doubt that one will turn out. This theater was built in 1929 according to the Historical Register plaque in the entryway.

After milling around Downtown Hanford for a while, we went back to "The Movies" where we saw "Shanghai Knights". (Not my choice of film, but that was just barely better than "Kangaroo Jack".) While I was buying drinks and popcorn my nephew took photos of the lobby. Finding a decent seat in our auditorium was a challenge. Not just becuase of the middle-aisle layout, but becuase most of the seats were in a bad state of disrepair. We settled on two in the last row, but my nephew sank down in the first seat he tried. I suggested the one next to mine, but sitting there got him a spring up the backside. (We snapped a few examples of the seating offered here, but I don't know if those will turn out as I usually have bad luck with auditorium photos.)

The actual film itself was rather interesting, presentation-wise. The projectionist cut all the green MPAA ratings off the trailers, so they just played back-to-back like commercials on TV. There was no policy trailer, either. (I have never been to a Cinemark theater before, do they even have policy trailers??) The film itself was cropped on the sides, cutting off the ends of the captions. (I don't know the technical term for that, sorry...)

Our tickets said this was "The Movies #15", so if they number them in order this must be one of their older theaters. (It sure looked that way...)

Due to time constraints, I didn't look for the Kings Drive-In. There's already a tour posted for that one so it's not much of a loss photo-wise, anyway.

Next month the Madera Drive-In opens, so the next trip I take will probably be Madera...

|  IP: Logged

Eric Hooper

- posted April 29, 2003 01:20 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper         Edit/Delete Post 
AMC Theatres also cuts the green MPAA rating advisory off of the trailers, showing them back to back like commericals.

Great work on the photo shoot Daniel. Good post. Great info.

Dave Stambaugh

- posted April 29, 2003 01:34 PM      Profile for Dave Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Stambaugh         Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemark always removes the green band from trailers. They used to have a policy (the older ones starred "Front Row Joe") but they stopped using it about a year or so ago. At that time most of their policies I saw around here were trashed. Someone mentioned Cinemark removed them from service throughout the circuit and they've never issued anything new or different since.

Daniel Fuentz

- posted April 29, 2003 02:01 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
Really? They're SUPPOSED to do that? I found it kind of jarring, this rapid-fire barrage of trailers and ads. (Plus cutting off the green ratings cut into the soundtrack of just about every trailer) I guess if you're used to seeing them presented that way you wouldn't notice. The only time I was in an AMC theater the line at the snack bar was so long I didn't get into the auditorium until the movie had started so I didn't see the trailers.

The lack of a policy trailer didn't really bother me, it's just that I've been a fan of policy trailers since UA used the "Magician". (Although I have yet to see a trailer that's as good as that one, IMO.)

Scott Norwood

- posted April 29, 2003 05:16 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Landmark doesn't have a policy trailer, either. They used to show a godawful Pepsi thing, but they finally (and mercifully) got rid of that one.

I never saw the UA policy, but I liked the old GCC "Candy Band" policies. There were two versions of it. I only have one print of the second version (which was labelled "new")...does anyone have extra copies of this to sell/trade? There was also a short-lived GCC "Enjoy the Show" policy that played from December '01 until the AMC takeover in April '02.

Paul Linfesty

- posted April 29, 2003 05:30 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Landmark doesn't have a policy trailer, either.
Every Landmark theatre I've been at in L.A. has run a Landmark snipe before every film I've seen(don't know if this could be called a policy trailer or not). It shows a globe with diifferent graphics rotating on it and a female voice says "Welcome to Landmark Theatres...Your Year round film festival."

Daniel Fuentz

- posted April 29, 2003 05:47 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never been to a GCC theater, so I know nothing of the "Candy Band". [Frown] (We only had Mann and UA theaters in these parts, until Edwards and Signature opened. Of course, now all UA and Edwards run the "Regal Rollercoaster") I wish someone would come out with a video of all these policy trailers... I would love to see the old UA ones again, as well as ones I've never seen such as the "Candy Band".

Bill Gabel

- posted April 29, 2003 05:52 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
The Candy Band trailer is now a part of history. And the same goes for the old GCC logo that looks like a projector and reels.

Paul Linfesty

- posted April 29, 2003 05:56 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an audio file only of the original GCC "projector and reels." Its always been my favorite, but I've now played it to boredom.

Daniel Fuentz

- posted April 30, 2003 03:37 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
The results of my first roll of film have been submitted. Look for tours of the Hanford Fox and the Movies 8 -- "Coming soon to a website near you". [Big Grin]

Scott, over on Film-tech there is a Quicktime movie of the UA "Magician" trailer. Go to the Film-Yak board, find the thread entitled "UA Policy Trailer" or something like that, click on the last page, and there you'll find a post with a link to the movie. Whether or not it's as good as the "Candy Band" I don't know, but I always thought it was the best trailer UA ever did.

Eric Hooper

- posted April 30, 2003 10:53 AM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite has always been the GCC Candy Band. Also, does anybody remember the GCC Floating Candy policy? It ran from about 1986 to 1992, when then the first Candy Band was introduced. Then new Candy Band was introduced in 1996, with Popcorn Bob and his Pepsi girlfriend. Seinfield once had a monlogue about that trailer: "Um, isn't it strange he's dating a Pepsi, and then he goes to the snack bar and buys her a - (get ready, it's coming)-Pepsi?" But since GCC closed here in SF in 1999, I've been going to UA and got hooked on their trailers (or policies). The UA magician is good, but my favorite UA policy was the one that began with the train pulling up to the theatre. Many jokes were made about that one, such as the guy whose head popped out of the popcorn. "Was he Orville's secret ingredient?" Also don't forget the "Lesbian 'Welcome' Lady." LOL. This trailer looked and sounded very cool though, way ahead of it's time almost. All UA's now do run the Regal Roller Coaster. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they just officially change the name to Regal on all of their theatres. But here's the best part. I did some 'shopping around' and was able to get copies the UA magician and Train policies on laserdiscs. I also found the GCC Candy Band (both parts one and two) and Regal Roller Coaster on film, and had them transferred to DVD. WAY COOL! [Smile] Now all I need is a copy of the Century Curtain Riser policy, and my collection will be complete. At least I can view that on their website. I never did see the new GCC Enjoy The Show, since all the GCC's here were closed by then. [Frown]

I just visited Film-Tech forums and learned the UA trailer I mentioned above is called the "Oddessy" trailer.

[ April 30, 2003, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: Eric Hooper ]

Bill Gabel

- posted April 30, 2003 01:23 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
I still have 35mm copies of the GCC Candy Band, Floating Candy,
Projector & Reels. Does anyone remember the GCC Timmy the Trash
Can trailer? Or the Pacific Theatre rolling wave from the early
80's?

Daniel Fuentz

- posted May 01, 2003 01:40 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
I have dim memories of the Pacific Theaters trailer, they used to show it at the Sunnyside Drive-In which I went to quite a lot as a child.

Also, my lobby pics of the Hanford Movies 4 didn't turn out. The only interior picture that turned out was a picture of one of their grungy seats.  - [barf]

Needless to say, I will NOT be returning to this theater to re-take the pictures!!

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted May 01, 2003 08:49 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Please send me a couple of the photos that didn't turn out and I'll see if I can do anything with them.

Chris Markiewicz

- posted May 01, 2003 11:12 AM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a scope and flat Consolidated Hawaii rolling wave trailer which I think is the same design as the Pacific one. The early 80's TRON-style fake neon?

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.