CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinematour Discussion   » Research & Photo Trip to Los Angeles (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Research & Photo Trip to Los Angeles
Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted April 28, 2003 02:57 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like Adam has finally convinced me to stop procrastinating and to stop being wishy washy and finally commit to taking the drive to Los Angeles and go on the photo / research trip to end all photo / research trips.

We're aiming to leave ?NoCal? Friday afternoon and be in Valencia where my friend Ken lives around 7 or 8. We're going to spend the weekend touring some of the more noteworthy theatres that Adam has never seen before (Chinese, Cinerama Dome, Westwood Village etc.) and then getting some of those hard to reach theatres and taking pictures.

So if you, or anybody you know, would like to meet up with us and check out some of the greater Los Angeles theatres, please contact Adam Martin or myself for coordination. Especially if YOU or somebody you know has access to projection booths and can give tours of them.

|  IP: Logged

Roger Katz

- posted April 28, 2003 06:08 PM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys need to come up to the Northeast US sometime. [Smile]

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted April 28, 2003 07:25 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
For those wanting to meet up in LA, please contact Scott. I am extremely busy trying to get the last few hundred of Scott's California photos in the database before we leave.

We will probably be taking the downtown theater tour and maybe something at the Egyptian. But I know nothing because Scott is arranging everything! [Smile]

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted April 30, 2003 08:00 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Laemmle Theatres. They rock. They have invited us to stop by and take pictures.

You gotta love FRIENDLY theatre companies that like doing what they do.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted May 01, 2003 12:58 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody cares that we're going to L.A. -- [Frown]

Bill Gabel

- posted May 01, 2003 03:20 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
Scott

If you are going to Laemmle's Monica 4 in Santa Monica. Please
don't trip over the bed in the booth between booths 2 & 3 [Rolling on Floor Laughing] It's the only booth in LA that has a shower. It's near booth 4. Also if you go downtown to see Laemmle's Grande 4. Please watch out going up the ladder to the booth. Also please take a few pictures of the consoles. One of the operators named each theatre after someone in the movie "Top Gun" [Rolling on Floor Laughing] (Iceman, Goose ...) And if your make a stop over at Laemmle's Sunset 5, take picture of one of the smallest scope screens in one of their house. (sorry I forgot what #) [Rolling on Floor Laughing]
Let me see, have I forgotten any one of a kind Laemmle designs
[Rolling on Floor Laughing] [Rolling on Floor Laughing] [Rolling on Floor Laughing] [Rolling on Floor Laughing] [Rolling on Floor Laughing]

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted May 05, 2003 12:04 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
WHOAH did we mis-manage our time or WHAT?!?!

We didn't get to nearly as many theatres as I would have liked. And we ESPECIALLY didn't get to as many Laemmle Theatres as we should have. I'll e-mail Laemmle later and thank them for the open invitation and hope they won't mind us stopping by on our next trip to LA.

It was a good trip though. We did the LA Conservancy's tour of the downtown theatres on Broadway. Got to go into a few of them and Adam took a truck-load of pictures. It's a good tour, I suggest any theatre-philes do it. It lasts about three hours and only costs $8. (or free if you're a member)

Outside of the tour, we kinda just walked around Westwood (in the rain) and then just went out drinking with some friends of mine. Too much theatre will rot the brain. Sunday we got some of the suburban theatres in Alhambra and El Monte and such.

Next time we'll do better... I promise.

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted May 05, 2003 06:10 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't call 422 photos in three days a mis-management of time, although us being out until 4am Sunday morning didn't help much. [Big Grin]

And I did redeem myself by wandering off and taking some photos (on the Broadway tour) where we were expressly told not to ... Now if I had remembered to put my phone on vibrate, it would have been spectacular! [Razz]

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted May 07, 2003 03:18 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
All but two or three of the tours are online now. Knock yourselves out. [Cool]

Be patient for the Orpheum tour. There are 65 photos on that page.

Daniel Fuentz

- posted May 07, 2003 03:50 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
The Orpheum tour is well worth the wait. It must be something to see in person! [Eek!]

Bill Gabel

- posted May 07, 2003 05:18 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
Adam you have a typo on the Orpheum page.

"The Orpheum closed it's dooes" [Smile]

Roger Katz

- posted May 07, 2003 05:30 PM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz         Edit/Delete Post 
So you are saying its dooes are still open then? [Rolling on Floor Laughing]

Bill Gabel

- posted May 08, 2003 08:53 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
They open the dooes every Saturday for the tours and special events. But the rest of the time the dooes are closed. But its great to see that the Orpheum still can open it's dooes, when
other area palaces can't even find their dooes. [Rolling on Floor Laughing]

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted May 08, 2003 09:33 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, already. I fixed the typo. [Embarrassed]

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted January 12, 2004 11:13 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to be heading down to Southern California to take some more complete photos and tours of theatres down there later this month.

If you or anybody you know has the hookup for getting me in for good photo tours w/o fear of management lynching me, I'd love to hear from you.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.