CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinematour Discussion   » Life on the road with Cinematour: What does it feel/look like? (Page 7)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: Life on the road with Cinematour: What does it feel/look like?
Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted June 08, 2008 10:12 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Usually it's just me and Adam which involves three 12-hours days of sitting in a rental car. Depending on where we go it can be a lot quick stops, a lot of long stops, or sometimes hours of driving between one closed theatre and the next.

Sometimes we meet up with local theatre enthusiasts/fellow cinematourers who have a good knowledge of the area so we can skip locations that have been demolished and who can also fill in some blanks on our Microsoft Streets & Trips maps. This is usually a bit more fun, but I've found we can tire out even the most enthusiastic person with our need to see EVERYTHING. A lot of people want to skip the closed theatres or skip the multiplexes, but we want to go to all of them even if it means taking pictures of a Blockbuster Video. Also Adam and I can get particular in how we navigate through cities, having worked together on this for so long we have a routine that sometimes derails our tour guide who is particularly eager to show us their favorites. Hell, Adam irritates the crap out of me with his need to walk through downtown (usually in the early mornings before things open) with a hand drawn map with addresses scribbled on it (usually addresses from 1932) so we can take pictures of ten buildings which may have been a theatre but due to renumbering we're not sure. And I'm sure I irritate the crap out of Adam with my constant excitement over some closed crappy multi-plex and my insistence that he take pictures of the marquee that's now been turned into a generic shopping center sign but was clearly the marquee for the theatre.

But overall Tennessee was an okay trip I suppose, the diversion down into Gatlinburg was somewhat of a bust. A lot of traffic through Pigeon Forge and in Gatlinburg itself, then end up driving through the Smokey Mountain National Forest for about an hour or so to end up in rural North Carolina and then back in to Chatanooga. I think between Knoxville and Chattanooga we took pictures of 3 theatres?

Sometimes I find it amazing all the places I've gone simply to take pictures of theatres and I've seen a lot of wonderful scenery but never taken the time to enjoy it. We didn't go into Dollywood, that would've taken up precious photo taking time. I drove through probably one of the most scenic national parks and all we did was stop to use the bathroom at the top of the pass.

I think I'm going to make it a rule on future trips to make sure we waste at least ONE hour of time doing something unrelated to cinematour, because by the end of each day we end up skipping five theatres or half-assing the last three stops because all we want to do is get out of the car and stay out of it for a good 5 hours... enough time to sleep.

Now it'd be a different story entirely if every major chain was friendly and let us take pictures... the world would be our oyster!

On a side note, I'm enjoying Matt Luthans and Larry Karsden's photos from Nebraska. It makes me happy to see others getting out there. It reminds me I should probably go take some pictures in my own back yard... there's a few new theatres that have opened that I've been too lazy to take pictures of.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Polidore

- posted June 12, 2008 10:09 AM      Profile for Scott Polidore   Email Scott Polidore         Edit/Delete Post 
damn,you were all over tennessee. sounds like u had a great time. i'll be having a submission this weekend (the happening) for the semi new toledo theater. forgot my cam the last few times and i regret it. i'll have it this time though.

Scott Polidore

- posted June 14, 2008 11:05 AM      Profile for Scott Polidore   Email Scott Polidore         Edit/Delete Post 
ok so i didnt have a chance to get any pics from the theater last night. fights galore had just happened before we arrived. maybe next time as the security was thick.

Scott Polidore

- posted June 30, 2008 06:14 PM      Profile for Scott Polidore   Email Scott Polidore         Edit/Delete Post 
i just submitted some photos of the long ghosted new franklin park mall cinema. enjoy

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted November 09, 2008 06:18 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
After failing to locate what we were looking for in Beulah, Colorado, (*ahem*) GPS directs us to our next location.

Not only did GPS fail to tell us that this was a dirt road, but it also failed (twice!) to reveal the magic passageway to the invisible road off to our left that would get us back to a paved road. [oogle]

-

Scott Polidore

- posted November 17, 2008 05:50 PM      Profile for Scott Polidore   Email Scott Polidore         Edit/Delete Post 
now thats scary

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted November 17, 2008 11:18 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Especially when it could've rained at any moment and turned that road into sludge.

Scott Polidore

- posted December 05, 2008 04:44 PM      Profile for Scott Polidore   Email Scott Polidore         Edit/Delete Post 
i was thinking just that

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted January 04, 2009 01:54 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't find an appropriate thread for this... but this is the sign from the background of my photo.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nocturnalalchemy/2053333744/sizes/o/

So so hot and soo so sad.

Scott Polidore

- posted February 26, 2009 06:53 PM      Profile for Scott Polidore   Email Scott Polidore         Edit/Delete Post 
looks all smashed [Frown]

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted February 28, 2009 07:37 AM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
Sigh....memories....

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted November 09, 2009 07:50 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Not even a parade can stop a Cinematour dorking trip!

-

No, we did not eat here. Mostly because Scott *really* wanted Taco Bell, but also because we couldn't find anyone to seat us.

-

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted May 13, 2010 05:00 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
We're going to be in Indiana, Kentucky and Ohio this weekend. Follow us on the newly formed Facebook page "Cinematour".

Matthew Lok

- posted May 13, 2010 09:39 PM      Profile for Matthew Lok   Email Matthew Lok         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, thanks for the heads-up about the Facebook page. But I can't find the page. I did a google search: facebook cinematour. TIA for your help.

Chris Utley

- posted May 14, 2010 08:55 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Matthew is right. I can't find y'all either.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.