CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinematour Discussion   » Life on the road with Cinematour: What does it feel/look like? (Page 6)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: Life on the road with Cinematour: What does it feel/look like?
Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted August 30, 2007 02:38 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Resurrecting this thread from the dead ... I'm a poet!

Montana + end of summer + 890 miles + the largest "intermediate"-sized rental I've ever had = splat.
 -

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted October 17, 2007 09:42 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Denton, Texas
 -

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted October 18, 2007 07:24 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
But how many bugs are covering ur mom?

Scott Polidore

- posted February 15, 2008 09:38 PM      Profile for Scott Polidore   Email Scott Polidore         Edit/Delete Post 
i've only been inside one cinema and it was the ohio theater and man i felt like a horses ass when i said i was taking pictures for this web site. part of me thought the guy was gonna toss me out of there like i was lying. but he was fine with it once i gave him the website addy.

Christopher Crouch

- posted February 16, 2008 02:07 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
man i felt like a horses ass when i said i was taking pictures for this web site.
About the only time I've felt strange was when I was taking pictures of the long closed Plitt Cinema Twin, in Amarillo, Texas. It neighbors a skateboard shop and the workers(?) felt the need to heckle me as I took pictures. I'm not really sure what their problem was (maybe being "skate punks" in Amarillo, Texas?).

Roger Katz

- posted February 16, 2008 07:22 AM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been chased after a couple of times as I took photos, usually from the chain theatres. I have had two Hoyts managers chase me down; one let me take photos of his theatre inside and out after a lecture about asking for permission, I was off and out before the other one even got to my car. After taking photos of a Showcase Cinemas theatre in Springfield, Massachusetts I was stopped by mall security and asked what I was doing. They were okay when they found out I was taking photos of the theatre. They had just been concerned I might be taking pictures of people, like maybe I'm some kind of stalker.

Scott Polidore

- posted February 19, 2008 02:11 PM      Profile for Scott Polidore   Email Scott Polidore         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
About the only time I've felt strange was when I was taking pictures of the long closed Plitt Cinema Twin, in Amarillo, Texas. It neighbors a skateboard shop and the workers(?) felt the need to heckle me as I took pictures. I'm not really sure what their problem was (maybe being "skate punks" in Amarillo, Texas?).
yea i had a knotted stomach and my camera was crap "polaroid Izone" now i got a nikon and it works much better.

we need business cards though cuz i still feel like im lying when i say what im taking pics for. LOL

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted February 20, 2008 12:54 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Trust me -- they don't help. People still look at you like you're making the whole thing up.

"Why would you want to take pictures of this [80's] multiplex?"

And even when you explain that in ten years that old place will be as old as a lot of the main street single screens were when they were demolished, they still look at ya funny.

Scott Polidore

- posted February 22, 2008 11:11 PM      Profile for Scott Polidore   Email Scott Polidore         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL iguess they dont understand the importance of documenting theaters. its why we dont have much info or photos on the old jesse james drive in which was demolished decades ago. the guy was cool to me at the theater, i was just kinda paranoid like "what if he thinks im fake?"

but he was telling me how the theater was going to be "the" ohio theater and work is starting to preserve it. a steel bar was put in place recently to stop the front from falling off. hopefully its fully restored cuz i could use a neighborhood first run theater.

Ron Newman

- posted March 04, 2008 09:57 PM      Profile for Ron Newman   Email Ron Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
Your Ohio Theatre would have to be really grand to beat out the one in downtown Columbus. (Go there and see it if you've never been.)

Matt Lutthans

- posted April 10, 2008 10:37 PM      Profile for Matt Lutthans   Email Matt Lutthans         Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago I was sitting in the Q Cinema 9 in Omaha waiting for my buddy Larry Karstens to pick me up after work. I had my duffle bag with me. It contained my camera and probably 100 theatre photos. I was sitting in one of the auditoriums between showtimes, and I notice one of the employees come in and kind of "check me out." He left, and about 10 minutes later two cope came in and asked me to come out to the lobby to talk. They asked to see in my bag, and the cops and manager looked through there, and I had my camera and two or three lenses and a bunch of theatre photos, but nobody said boo about any of that stuff. Turns out that somebody saw me take out my little 2" Watchman TV in the auditorium and thought I was trying to videotape the movie that was showing. Nothing of the sort. I was bored and had 20 minutes till showtime, so I turned on the TV!

--Matt

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted April 12, 2008 10:23 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't had too many altercations with the police. Just a lot of mall security and theatre managers that think they can bully you around.

In El Paso last month Adam was taking pictures of an AWESOME GCC-6 that was sitting closed in the food court of the mall. Didn't notice or care about a thing until Adam had to set the flash off to get a good lobby shot through the gate. Then the security guard came over and asked what we were doing, I told him we were working on a cinema history project and he told us we'd have to leave and that before we did so he'd have to watch us delete the photos we took.

Luckily after I looked at him and asked him if he was serious, Adam told him that he didn't have to delete the photos, all the guard could do is ask us to leave. At that point the guard got pissy and on our way out the mall I heard him say something like "...and don't ever come back!" Which made me chuckle since why the hell would I want to go back to El Paso???

The thing that sticks in my craw is what if we were interested in re-opening the theatre? I see people all the time taking pictures of empty buildings or lots on the street that are interested in doing something with the property. Just because the theatre was in a mall the guard automatically assumes we've been taking pictures for "Girls Gone Wild: EL PASO!" Of course in our post confrontational rush we tossed around the idea of writing to the mall management saying we were indeed there to evaluate the theatre property but because of the way security treated us we wouldn't want to work with an organization like that. But the guy was just doing his job, apparently on auto-pilot since he couldn't (wouldn't) listen to any explanations.

Scott Polidore

- posted May 07, 2008 04:37 PM      Profile for Scott Polidore   Email Scott Polidore         Edit/Delete Post 
damn, im sorry man. mall security sucks. they dont even get flash lights anymore.

i should have some updates within the next month since i moved to another city in ohio (maumee) theres 3 theaters i could get access to easily

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted May 31, 2008 10:00 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
You might have noticed that we went to Tennessee earlier this month. You might have also noticed that Scott is the biggest dork to ever exist. [Big Grin]

-

Scott Polidore

- posted June 07, 2008 06:10 PM      Profile for Scott Polidore   Email Scott Polidore         Edit/Delete Post 
LMFAO. i'd love to go on the road. u guys have a small group that goes or what?

All times are Central
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.