CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinematour Discussion   » Life on the road with Cinematour: What does it feel/look like? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: Life on the road with Cinematour: What does it feel/look like?
Jeff Arellano

- posted June 29, 2004 06:26 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll soon get pics of the AMC Plaza 10 thats been closed since 2001. They ain't goin anywhere!

|  IP: Logged

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted June 30, 2004 02:24 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
White Castle is the grossest thing on Earth, dude.

Jeff Arellano

- posted July 18, 2004 06:06 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I stopped by today at the former AMC Plaza 10 and got these decent shots. I drove by the former Mann Puente 6 and its almost ready to open as a Staples. it doens't even look like a theater anymore.

Anyhow, here are some pics at what was once a great 10 plex. By the way, it was similar in layout to a lot of the 10 plexes AMC built at the time. It closely resembled Burbank 14 as well (Burbank added 4 screens to become a 14, but opened as a 10).

On to the pics. Adam if you want them, let me know.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=4778799&uid=1020161&members=1

Go to that link. There are 10 pictures there. Any questions please ask. I used to work here and still remember the layout (and yes the theatre was one story only).

Roger Katz

- posted July 18, 2004 06:12 PM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(and yes the theatre was one story only)
Huh? Are there actually theatres out there somewhere that are more than one story?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Administrator

- posted July 18, 2004 08:21 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course.

Mike Olpin

- posted July 18, 2004 08:23 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Olpin         Edit/Delete Post 
Roger, I would wager that 90% of theatres have second stories. Thats where the projectors are! [Big Grin]

Seriously, Just in San Diego alone we have at least 4 complexes with auditoriums on multiple levels.

The AMC Van Ness 1000 in SF has auditoriums across three or four levels (Can't remember exactly.)

Jeff Arellano

- posted July 18, 2004 09:40 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
[Uh-oh] What I meant was that the projection was on the first level and not the second.

Joe Redifer

- posted July 18, 2004 10:04 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer         Edit/Delete Post 
There are also theaters, like a crappy one in Denver called Tivoli (it is Starz now) that has 1 level for the auditorium (6 of them), the next level is the booth, the level above the booth is 6 more auditoriums, and then the 4th level is another booth. I have seen booths that are actually somewhat below the auditorium, and bounce the light off of mirrors to get the image to where it needs to be. The results are never impressive onscreen.

Ron Keillor

- posted July 19, 2004 11:50 AM      Profile for Ron Keillor   Email Ron Keillor         Edit/Delete Post 
re multi-level houses
The Capitol, Vancouver, BC has its auditoriums stacked: 1 big one on the ground floor, 2 on the second level, 3 on the top. And it was built that way, not a conversion. There may still be several up-and-down conversions where theatre was twinned by cutting off the balcony (the Coronet Vancouver was one).

Tom Mundell

- posted July 19, 2004 12:49 PM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell         Edit/Delete Post 
Having the auditoriums on multiple floors seems to be more common where land is at a premium, such as large cities. The AMC Empire 25 in NYC has auditoriums spread across something like 4 or 5 levels (plus the ground floor where the lobby is) if I recall correctly, which is the most levels I've seen.

Roger Katz

- posted July 19, 2004 01:21 PM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz         Edit/Delete Post 
I must've been tired when I asked that question. One of my own complete tours on here, the Landmark Square Cinema 9 in Stamford, CT, has auditoriums on more than one story.

Dave Felthous

- posted July 19, 2004 07:50 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
The Capitol 6 in Vancouver, BC, was indeed a conversion. The original auditorium was huge, mostly on one floor if I recall correctly. I saw Little Big Man there in 1970. They had dropped a fairly big screen (but it was kinda dwarfed by the huge theater) in front of the old proscenium. In front of the screen was a traverse curtain only as high as the screen, with orange spots, but the top of the original stage was still visible. The sixplexing must have been a year or so later. The conversion was pretty clumsy; there are only six screens but some of them take days to reach. Good old Famous Players...

Eric Hooper

- posted July 20, 2004 09:55 AM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The AMC Van Ness 1000 in SF has auditoriums across three or four levels (Can't remember exactly.)
The Van Ness has it's ticket booth on the first floor, and then it's boxed stacked auditoriums on the second, third, and fourth floors.

The new CAMERA 12 in San Jose (formerly the UA Pavilion) is also stacked on 3 levels. 3 screens each on the 2nd and 3rd floors, and then the original 2 large screens split into 6 screens on the ground floor.

Ron Keillor

- posted July 20, 2004 10:53 AM      Profile for Ron Keillor   Email Ron Keillor         Edit/Delete Post 
re Capitol 6 Vancouver
No, the 6-plex is a re-build from the ground up, except for the entrance off Granville Street which retained the steps leading to the passage over the lane that got you to the theatres.
The old Capitol was modified a few times, the addition of a projection booth in the late 'twenties which cut down on the balcony size (the theatre was intended for vaudeville) would be the major one. Changes were also made for Cinerama installation when the Strand was razed.

Dave Felthous

- posted July 21, 2004 05:56 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Ron, for correcting me re the Capitol 6. My recollection was that the shell of the old building had been used to house the otherwise-new theater. Mea culpa! I guess I got it mixed up with the Fox in Portland, which was built in the shell of the old Heilig/Rialto/Mayfair back in the 1950s. The Fox is gone, replaced by an office tower that includes a 10-screen Regal arthouse.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.