CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinematour Discussion   » Research & Photo Trip to Lake Tahoe & Stockton, California (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Research & Photo Trip to Lake Tahoe & Stockton, California
Daniel Fuentz

- posted April 26, 2003 04:30 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
The Sunnyside is still there. I drove past on my way to work this afternoon, and there is now a fence around the property, but all the buildings are intact. (When I went in March, there was nothing keeping people out.) The construction activity is confined to the back parking lot, some workmen were drilling for something when I drove past. (The parking lot was added in the early 90's as parking for the swap meet that operated at the theater.)

The Starlite drive-in, which is also listed in the Fresno page, needs a "Demolished" icon, though. It was razed in the late 70's to make way for the Macy's store at Fashion Fair mall. (It's listed as "Starlite North" and "Starlite South", but it was actually one 2 screen drive in. ("North and South" referred to the North screen and the South screen. The theater is listed in some editions of the City Directory as the "Starlite Twin-Vue Drive-In") When I get home I'll look up the exact address, as I don't have my directory xeroxes here.

Also, the Motor-In Drive-In listed for Fresno was actually located in Malaga, Ca. (Dinky town just South of Fresno)

|  IP: Logged

Daniel Fuentz

- posted April 27, 2003 12:24 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, the address for the "Starlite Twin-Vue Drive-In Theatre" was 4888 N. Fresno St. I found some record of the Starlite in the archival footage from 1977, (Under the title "Shots of proposed Macy's site") but it's on 16mm film and I have no idea how to get that into anything usable here.

Also missing from the Fresno listings is the Moon-Glo Drive-In, which was located at 2041 W. Dakota (Corner of Dakota & Hughes) That's been torn down since 1980, an apartment complex is on the property now.

If you were at Peach & Olive you were 2 blocks away from the Sunnyside. If you had gone East, you would've seen it. (There's a lot of empty land at that intersection, though, so I can see how it might've looked like a drive-in was once there.) No big deal, though, becuase those pictures I took last month are in your mailbox. If I did it right, one of the pictures I took will show up here:
 -

(That was mainly just a test to see if I could figure out Photoshop well enough to resize/post a picture. [Smile] )

[ April 28, 2003, 12:45 AM: Message edited by: Daniel Fuentz ]

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.