CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinematour Discussion   » Research & Photo Trip to Lake Tahoe & Stockton, California (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Research & Photo Trip to Lake Tahoe & Stockton, California
Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted April 16, 2003 10:17 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
This weekend Adam and I are going to take a li'l trip through the foothills of California and check out the stateline and then head our way down to Stockton so Adam can see that half the theatres down there have probably been demolished.

I'm trying to get enough energy/time to get down to the towns surrounding Visalia to figure out what the heck is going on down there. I know of some of those small communities having theatres, but my info from my first employer is a little bit sketchy in the back of my head now.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted April 21, 2003 04:42 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Lake Tahoe didn't happen. I didn't feel like dealing with the weather in the mountains.

However, we did drive south and hit 60 theaters, taking 352 photos. [Big Grin]

This trip took us as far south as Kingsburg and Dinuba.

Scott Norwood

- posted April 22, 2003 04:35 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
So does/did the Fox Ritz Theatre in Stockton, CA. actually exist? This was the home of "the competent projectionist" featured in the old SMPTE "Motion Picture and Theatre Presentation Manual" book.

Bill Gabel

- posted April 22, 2003 08:59 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
The Fox Ritz Theatre was located at 426 E. Main St., it seated
926 people.

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted April 22, 2003 11:43 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
We actually skipped the downtown area of Stockton this time around. Due to the number of buildings to locate, we decided to make a separate trip so that we wouldn't be worried about how much time it will take.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted April 23, 2003 06:54 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
And I think Adam was about to have a spaz-attack had we driven around downtown Stockton. He wasn't in the best of moods on Saturday... something about... "Waaah... too much wine last night. Waaaaaahh... now I have a headache. Waaaaaaaah... I'm a wuss."

But on Sunday he felt better after we treated ourselves to a relaxing night spent in Fresno.

And seriously... FRESNO?!!? NOBODY goes to Fresno anymore. [Rolling on Floor Laughing]

Daniel Fuentz

- posted April 23, 2003 11:34 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey!! Some of us have to LIVE here!! [Smile] (How did that old Channel 30 jingle go??? "You've got the spirit, Tell 'em Fresno's great.... Come on, let's hear it, Tell 'em Fresno's great...." [Rolling on Floor Laughing] )

[ April 24, 2003, 01:37 AM: Message edited by: Daniel Fuentz ]

Daniel Fuentz

- posted April 25, 2003 01:24 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
I see you've updated a lot of the Fresno/Clovis tours! That's good, but it's also bad becuase you've duplicated a lot of the pics I took, which are lingering in Adam's inbox. [Frown] Oh, well, at least you can still use the lobby pics of the UA Towne Center 8, and there's still the Country Squire for me to take pictures of.

Gosh, the Sunnyside Drive-In is gone? That was done VERY recently, then. I drove past the place a few weeks ago, and the whole thing had been painted white. When I visited in March to take pictures, the place was COVERED in graffiti. When I drove past in the early part of this month it was all covered over with white paint. Why they'd paint a building they were going to tear down is beyond me! [Confused] I had always hoped to get rich and re-open that theater, I went there a lot as a kid so it's (was) kind of special to me.

And I see you went to the UA at the Sierra Vista Mall -- did you actually go in, or were those lobby photos taken through the glass? I loved that the automation monitor thing was placed on the wall above the snack bar counter, where ANYONE can reach over and press that button labeled "PANIC STOP".

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted April 25, 2003 06:49 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was a little odd, too. But based upon the address I have listed, there's nothing there. Maybe you could swing by sometime and confirm for me that it's demolished or get me a correct address.

Daniel Fuentz

- posted April 25, 2003 06:58 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have the exact address for the Sunnyside at hand, but it is/was on the Southwest corner of Clovis & Olive Aves. (There is an Arco gas station on the NW corner, and a factory on the SE corner -- does this sound like the area where you were looking?)

Another odd thing is that the Sunset Drive-In has been boarded up. I drove past this afternoon and got out to look at the snack bar remains, but it was no longer accessible. (The cinder block walls that made the entryway to the snack bar had been knocked down by vandals, this must've been done in the past few days since they were intact when you took your pictures.) For people who haven't seen the theater I'm talking about, I say it's odd they took the trouble to board it up becuase it looks like this: http://www.cinematour.com/tour_us.php?id=9823 Not really much worth saving, is there??

Chuck Cook

- posted April 26, 2003 12:26 AM      Profile for Chuck Cook   Email Chuck Cook         Edit/Delete Post 
Surprised that the vandals didn't get the screen. [Rolling on Floor Laughing]

Daniel Fuentz

- posted April 26, 2003 12:44 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
That vast expanse of unmarred surface has got to be driving those people nuts! [Smile] I was really amazed to see the "DO NOT BACK UP -- SEVERE TIRE DAMAGE" sign still up over the exit driveway, since absolutely everything of interest/value has been stolen from that property. That drive-in has been sitting abandoned for at least 15 years, and as we all know ANY drive-in that sits idle for more than a few months gets totally thrashed...

Anyhow, back to the Sunnyside: Adam, the address listed is correct, 5550 E. Olive. I drove past there on my way home from work and the marquee, ticket booths, screen #2 and the skeleton of screen #1 still stand. A few more bits of the neon letters from the back of the screen tower have been removed. In the pictures I sent you in March, the sign said "SUN ID" Now with the top of the letter "S" and the "N" missing, it reads: "JUID". I could not tell if the snack bar and projection building still stand, since it was extremely dark. I don't know if I would remove the "Demolished" icon just yet, as there was a bulldozer and some sort of thing that looked like an Oil derrick parked in an adjacent lot. They *could* be re-paving the lot for a possible re-opening, but since Pacific Theaters owned this drive-in that is highly unlikely. Anyhow, I will drive past in the morning and see if I can tell what is going on.

Also, I have an aircheck of radio station KYNO, "The big 13", recorded in December, 1965 giving away tickets to the "new" Sunnyside Drive-In. My guess is that it opened in the Summer of '65, but they referred to it as "new" for several months after. (Also featured in that recording is the tail end of an ad for "What's New, Pussycat?" which at the time was "now showing at the Starlite Drive-In North screen".)

[ April 26, 2003, 03:03 AM: Message edited by: Daniel Fuentz ]

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted April 26, 2003 11:57 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn Map Point.

And damn us. What kind of theatre dorks are WE if we could find a drive in???

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Administrator

- posted April 26, 2003 01:43 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott D. Neff, the half-assed theatre dork!

Really, how hard is it to find a drive-in! That's what you get when you let a lazy whore navigate!

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted April 26, 2003 04:19 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
The occasionally-stupid mapping software mapped that address at Peach and Olive. We were driving west on Olive looking at addresses, but I guess something just didn't work. Oh, well. Next time. [Smile]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.