CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinematour Discussion   » Questions about proper way to take theater pictures (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Questions about proper way to take theater pictures
David W Brooks

- posted January 23, 2004 06:27 PM      Profile for David W Brooks   Email David W Brooks         Edit/Delete Post 
I am new to this form and really like CinemaTour. I have sent some pictures of theatres in my area and, I hope, will be added soon to this site.

I use two types of digital cameras. I have a Nikon D100 big SLR 6megapixel camera and about 10 different lens. This outfit can be overwhelm to some theatre people so I use my alternative, a Canon G5 - a 5megapixel point and shoot type. Both take great pictures and the cost difference for a fully equiped D100 is about $4000 - $6000 based on how many lens you might use. The Canon is in the $500 range and there are other good examples in the $350 to $600 range.

Advantage of the pro Nikon D100 is I can use some wide angle lens to get very wide shots. I even have a Anamorphic lens and can shoot CinemaScope width pictures!

|  IP: Logged

Donald E Story

- posted June 07, 2004 12:46 AM      Profile for Donald E Story   Email Donald E Story         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently joined Cinematour and am enjoying it, especially the "discussion" group back and forth. The Marx Brothers would be proud! Regarding photos I agree with Scott??? that honesty is probably the best policy and if you're upfront (and don't look like Charley Manson) the manager or staff will warm up and give you a personal tour. It might help to allay fears if you have business cards indicating membership in theatre fan groups. I haven't attempted any indoor still photos for years but I have a Panasonic mini-DVD video camera I've used to record a number of theatre organ concerts in old theatres and it does a damn good job. For details of the theatre architecture and decoration I just wait for intermission when the lights are up or afterwards and don't even need the add on light for the camera. Most newer video cam's have a indoor light setting for recording and other settings for light problems. My camcorder also has a "snapshot" capability and these can be downloaded into a computer but I've never experimented with these items.

Brad Miller

- posted June 08, 2004 12:52 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a trip of what NOT to do, as proven by past dorking expeditions. Don't photograph anything out front of the building or in the lobby. Just go in with your cameras down by your side or in your pocket and ask to speak to the manager on duty. After you have talked with the manager, if they are ok with you taking pictures, great. If not, club them over the head and do it anyway. (oops, I don't think Adam wanted that secret out.)

Anyway, if you start taking pictures, you will put the staff and management on the defensive side, thinking you are an insurance adjuster or something. I have many years in management. Trust me, it's creepy. Just ask. [Cool]

Paul Rosenberry

- posted November 28, 2004 11:33 AM      Profile for Paul Rosenberry   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Rosenberry         Edit/Delete Post 
Please also consider that theater management and staff can fear for their safety when someone is seen taking pictures of the site. The first thing that one assumes is we're being cased for a hold-up or even a possible terrorist attack. There was a recent incident in the Southwest where someone was seen taking pictures and their license plate was tracked down and found to be a rental car. The person who rented the car used forged documents and was not able to be found. Police, FBI, and Homeland Security were involved in the incident and every theater circuit was put on notice of the event.

At the same time, there's a nationwide effort to catch movie pirates in theaters. Rewards are available for employees who catch someone recording movies so they're on the look-out. Plus many states have just this year enacted laws making it a crime to take a recorder into a cinema. Obviously anyone shooting pics for our purposes would be off-the-hook... a camera is not a camcorder, but do you really want to deal with it if someone at the theater doesn't make the distinction?

I'd ask everyone taking pictures of theaters to be considerate. Leave the camera in the car until talking to the manager and getting permission to shoot. If they say no, respect it. Most managers will not have a problem as long as it's done on their terms. Find out what their concerns are and find ways to address them beforehand. If they say 'no', you can always try again at a later date.

Steven Rood

- posted January 30, 2005 09:01 PM      Profile for Steven Rood   Email Steven Rood         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if you guys have seen this, but this link is worth printing and keeping with your camera gear in case of being harassed.

Photographer's Rights

Stevo

[ September 15, 2005, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: Steven Rood ]

Michael Leslie

- posted October 14, 2007 06:22 AM      Profile for Michael Leslie   Email Michael Leslie         Edit/Delete Post 
I worked at showcase as a mansger for 13 yrs. dont work for that hell hole anymore. but I always made people stop taking pics of the building. some of the reasons have been said on here. case out the joint, or because of 911 terrorist reasons. Movie theatres are considered soft targets. I.E. places with a decent amount of people and low security. there have been acts done in russia and other countries at movie theatres. Also alot of stuff in theatres is copyrighted. now if some came in to take 1 kids pic in lobby and was in process of taking it. I would wait till they were done and then inform them that it wasnt allowed and not to take anymore. If some came in to take pics from one of these sites and informed me, I would have had to call district to get permission. otherwise if it came out it happened on my watch (staff were always rats) I would get fired. yes I am happy I quit there.

Fulby Goldbatch

- posted June 03, 2012 02:26 PM      Profile for Fulby Goldbatch   Email Fulby Goldbatch         Edit/Delete Post 
I do know that a local theater chain in Michigan (MJR Digital Cinemas) prohibits photography in the auditoriums, but does allow it in the lobby. At least that policy is in effect at their Southgate, MI location, because I found that out when I went there on May 12, 2012 when I went to see Pirates: Band of Misfits (in 2D). So that's one theater chain that allows photography in at least some parts of their facilities.

Kevin Stephens

- posted September 04, 2012 06:21 PM      Profile for Kevin Stephens   Email Kevin Stephens         Edit/Delete Post 
Why when you send in pictures to Cinematour you never see them? Also I have emailed newsroom about this and no replay either why?

Roger Katz

- posted September 08, 2012 12:50 PM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are sending them in to the newsroom address they will eventually appear. Adam is very busy right now, so it may take a month or two for photos that have been sent in recently to make it onto the website.

Kevin Stephens

- posted September 11, 2012 04:43 PM      Profile for Kevin Stephens   Email Kevin Stephens         Edit/Delete Post 
THANKS

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.