CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Imax @ RPX none at Minnesota Regal Theatres

Author Topic: Imax @ RPX none at Minnesota Regal Theatres
Scott Clayton

- posted April 04, 2013 06:55 PM      Profile for Scott Clayton           Edit/Delete Post 
Just thinking about it was wondering why doesn't neither the Regal Brooklyn Center Stadium 20 have both a Imax or RPX same with the Egan Stadium 16 could have a RPX instead of a Imax at the Minnesota locations. But the location of Brooklyn Center Stadium 20 near downtown Minneapolis would be a right choice to have both of Imax Digital 3D and RPX at the same theatre.

What's the difference between the RPX and Imax theatres at Regal? I have not been to a RPX yet. Kind of wondering if one would come to the Minnesota locations.

Can you have both Imax and RPX at one theatre?

|  IP: Logged

Robert Crabtree

- posted April 21, 2013 05:10 PM      Profile for Robert Crabtree   Email Robert Crabtree         Edit/Delete Post 
Regal's RPX/AMC's ETX/ Cinemark's XD/etc etc are proprietary parallels to the digital IMAX experience. It enables the circuits to offer some sort of Premium format, with the accompanying surcharge, without having the pay for IMAX Licensing fees. As for venues that have both IMAX and the Premium format, I know that there are locations with both, within both AMC and Regal and probably Cinemark, but I can't remember them off top of my head.

As for why those two locations do not have an RPX/IMAX screen...no idea. Are they particularly busy locations?

Scott Clayton

- posted April 21, 2013 07:12 PM      Profile for Scott Clayton           Edit/Delete Post 
I have been to the Regal Brooklyn Center Stadium 20 it's close to Minneapolis so I don't see why they don't have either one RPX or IMAX they could replace a big screen to a RPX screen and the have a big parking lot to expand with a IMAX screen.

For the Eagan Stadium 16 they also could do the same I could see them adding a RPX instead of a IMAX screen.

Can you write to Regal?

Bob Allen

- posted April 23, 2013 01:53 AM      Profile for Bob Allen   Email Bob Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
Did it ever occur to you that there may be many people who are not interested in seeing a film on those humongous screens. Making the picture bigger doesn't make it better.

Scott Clayton

- posted April 24, 2013 08:06 PM      Profile for Scott Clayton           Edit/Delete Post 
When I see new films I prefer bigger screens. I'm just wondering why the location at Brooklyn Center Stadium 20 doesn't have a RPX or IMAX screen.

Here are some locations in Minnesota that have the bigger screens.

Muller Family Theatres: (Local Minnesota).
The MULLER MONSTER SCREEN® is 80 feet wide by 3 stores tall. Each week view the top movie in 4K resolution from a 6500 watt digital projector and hear it in Dolby® 7.1 sound delivered all around you through 36 speakers. The MULLER MONSTER SCREEN® seats over 560 people in high back rocker chair seats making it the best place to see all the big releases.
(1) Rogers 18 Theatre (Muller Monster Screen)
(2) Lakeville 21 Theatre (Muller Monster Screen)
(3) Monticello 15 Theatre (Muller Monster Screen)
I nave been to Rogers 18 Theatre and Lakeville theatre seen both the monster screens. Like a Imax experience.

AMC Theatres in Minnesota with Imax Digital 3D.
(1) Eden Prairie Mall 18 (Imax)
(2) Arbor Lake 16 (Imax)
(3) South Dale 16 (Imax)
(4) Rosedale 14 (Imax)

Carmike Cinemas
(1) Carmike 15 Apple Valley 15
The Big D Digital Experience

The Great Clips Imax Theatre at the Minnesota Zoo in Apple Valley.

Paragon Theatres
(1)Burnsville Center Odyssey 15
Pepsi Max 70 inch Extreme Screen and the Odyssey Premier theatre super screen VIP seating. Burnsville actually has two Imax screens. Second one is a super screen digital with digital 4K.

Marcus Theatres
The Marcus Oakdale Cinema is your premiere entertainment destination, featuring 17 state-of-the-art auditoriums including the 3 story tall, 70 foot wide Ultra Screen®!
(1) Oakdale 17 North with the Ultra Screen.
(2) Duluth Cinema with the Ultra Screen.

Bob Allen

- posted April 26, 2013 02:38 PM      Profile for Bob Allen   Email Bob Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
If these other companies have the humongous screens so close to you then what's the big deal if Regal does not? I personally don't think they add to the enjoyment of a film. And some quality is lost on them.

Edward Havens

- posted April 26, 2013 09:44 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens         Edit/Delete Post 
"Three stories high" is about an accurate measurement as "ten steps forward."

If one story for this measurement is ten feet, an 80' x 30' screen has the modernly impractical AR of about 2.67:1. If one story for this measurement is twelve feet, an 80' x 36' screen comes out to a better 2.22:1 AR, which is also impractical in a modern era when 99.99% of movies are either 2.39:1 or 1.85:1.

Robert Crabtree

- posted April 29, 2013 04:30 AM      Profile for Robert Crabtree   Email Robert Crabtree         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, the question remains- are either of those locations busy theaters?

Forget screen count, forget size of parking lot, or whether it's near a major city. Are there regularly enough butts in the seats to make the upgrade worthwhile? I've known some 16 and 20 screen theaters that played to more crickets than people. In fact, I live fairly close to one of the shortest lived megaplexes in this country- Hollywood 20 Lutz was open for less than 4 years. The high screen count and proximity to Tampa weren't enough to keep this building up and running.

And even if the $ makes it feasible, there are permits for construction to get and landlords that may or may not approve changes to the structure.

And you can contact Regal just like any other business these days- on their website.

Scott Clayton

- posted May 02, 2013 10:43 AM      Profile for Scott Clayton           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't go to the Regal Brooklyn Center 20 maybe once a month and when I have gone sometimes I have gotten a private screening all to my self the whole theatre late night show and the Eagan Stadium 16 is the same way.

One other thing an example in Oakdale Minnesota they have two big theatres. The Marcus Oakdale North 17 has a Ultra Scree but the Carmike Stadium 20 doesn't have a Big D Digital Experience auditorium like at Carmike 15 in Apple Valley. Oakdale North is a lot nicer then the Carmike Stadium 20.

Plus The Burnsville Odyssey 15 has a new Pepsi Max Extreme Screen 70 inches with VIP seating leather seats plus a super size sony digital 4K screen vip seating same with leather seating for liquor and they also have a D BOX seating auditorium and a full service liquor bar on the upper level. They do quite well and stay busy with liquor. The Burnsville Theatre can support Imax theatre and a super screen.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.