CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Two Big theatres ten minutes from each other? Minnesota

Author Topic: Two Big theatres ten minutes from each other? Minnesota
Scott Clayton

- posted February 15, 2013 01:57 PM      Profile for Scott Clayton           Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering about this for a while. In Oakdale,Minnesota they have two big theatres just ten minutes from each other. There is a Carmike Stadium 20 and ten minutes north over by fleet farm is the Marcus Oakdale North 17 with a Ultra Screen. Why does Oakdale have two big theatres in one city not far from each other? Oakdale isnt really a big city. Carmike Stadium 20 should have a Big D Digital auditorium like in Apple Valley to give the Marcus cinema some competition. Generaly I think the Marcus Oakdale North 17 is a better movie theatre with bigger auditoriums and bigger screens. Which theatre was built first?

|  IP: Logged

Robert Crabtree

- posted February 18, 2013 02:10 PM      Profile for Robert Crabtree   Email Robert Crabtree         Edit/Delete Post 
While that does seem like overkill and over-screening, it doesn't compare to the size and proximity of Ontario Mills and Ontario Palace.

AMC built a 30 screen monster as an anchor of the Ontario Mills mall in California. Edwards opened the Ontario Palace 22 & IMAX a few hundred yards away MONTHS later. They're pretty much separated by parking, and both are reasonably busy complexes.

Gainesville, FL is similar to what you describe. A 14 screen Litchfield build is about 4 miles from a newer Eastern Federal build; both are now owned by Regal, and still split product. Alachua and Washington counties are similar in population size, FWIW, though Washington has a few more theatres to boast.

As for your original query, no opening date info on Cinema Treasure at all, though Cinema Tour lists the Marcus as opening in 2000. Having no experience with Marcus or Carmike, I can only guess that the Carmike is older based on screen count. The chain I work for opened nearly all of their 18+ screens before Y2K.

Scott Clayton

- posted February 19, 2013 01:55 PM      Profile for Scott Clayton           Edit/Delete Post 
Heres another example. In Maple Grove, Minnesota they origialy had three movie theatres. One was the Mann's Cinema 10 was a discount theatre but is closed permantly now. The second one is the AMC Arbor Lakes 16 with a IMAX 3D and just a few minutes north on I-94 West is the Muller Family Theatre, Rogers 18 Theatre with a Muller Monster Screen which is 80 by 35 feet wide with 600 seats. So why do city's build big theatres with IMAX screens not far a part from eatch other competition? And who decides how many screens to built? The theatre chain or is it the city? Muller Family Theatres is local in Minnesota and has the biggest screen which they call the Muller Monster Screen like a IMAX. All The theatres are on the same interstate I-94 in Minnesota.

Christopher Crouch

- posted February 19, 2013 05:24 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So why do city's build big theatres with IMAX screens not far a part from eatch other competition? And who decides how many screens to built? The theatre chain or is it the city?
The exhibitors and real estate developers generally decide where to build and how many screens. The city's role is approving a proposed plan or not. More often than not, cities/towns/etc. are focused on the added tax revenue; thus, they believe more is better. For exhibitors, it's usually a matter of trying to take over a desirable market (i.e. pull business away from and ultimately replace the competition) or a belief that there is enough business for another theatre in the area.

In some cases, you'll find a single operator who blankets an area with theatres to prevent any outside competition from moving in. Edwards was particularly notorious for this in Orange County, during the 70's and 80's.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.