CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » AMC Montebello 10 to get seating renovation; theatre general remodel, this Summer?

Author Topic: AMC Montebello 10 to get seating renovation; theatre general remodel, this Summer?
Matthew Lok

- posted March 19, 2012 04:53 PM      Profile for Matthew Lok   Email Matthew Lok         Edit/Delete Post 
So I just heard a rumor that amc Montebello 10 might get
" riser; " quote: "bleacher," end quote;; style seating this Summer?

And I'm assuimng a general remodel/rennovation, refreshing all around the theatre as well.

I just Google this topic, and came across this interesting little tidbit site.

I10.mobi -- I tried to put in a Link but it won't allow it.

So PLEASE! just google simple terms amc montebello (10) remodel / renovation.

?? 1. Jeff or anyone else hear anything??

Thanks,

Matt

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Arellano

- posted March 19, 2012 08:55 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I searched and didn't find anything. Sorry.

As for rumor, haven't heard a thing at all. I do know a few things:
1) theater will celebrate its 20th anniversary in november. A general remodel would be nice.

2) theater will not be able to dig down into the ground. The theater is on a membrane that keeps the dump from coming up. I remember a warning sign inside the electrical room upstairs in the booth.

This theater still does good business (although recently its been really empty due to the Paramount bridge closure). Since the bridge wont be open till June, a remodel now would be a good idea. Im sure they could close an auditorium or two at a time.

Matthew Lok

- posted April 09, 2012 04:27 PM      Profile for Matthew Lok   Email Matthew Lok         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks as always for your knowledge and help Jeff.

1. Do you know when the "soon" to be expired Lease on AMC Montebello 10, will actually occur?

2. What's your opinion on if they should close this theater or not?

3. And if you don't mind me asking, have you heard anything about AMC Covina "30" (now like 17 auditoriums), plan??,, to close in the future?

EDIT: Spelling.

Jeff Arellano

- posted April 09, 2012 05:34 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Theater celebrates its 20th anniversary in November, so the lease I think ends in October. So if it does close, this would be its last summer.

As for Covina, I have no clue. The south hall (aud 18-30) was the one closed. I havent been there in a long time so I have no clue about the future of the theater. I still hear rumors of the West Covina Edwards closing as well since they are slower than the AMC.

I still think Montebello is still viable. It does business on the weekend still, and with Monterey Park splitting the product, it still has full bookings. If AMC was to drop it, I can easily see Regency swooping in and keeping it open.

Christopher Crouch

- posted April 10, 2012 01:45 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
AMC Fullerton 20 is another one with a questionable future. The theatre will hit it's 25th anniversary this year (or it's 25th, 20th, & 15th, depending on how you view it). The theatre still does respectable business, but one has to question if it does enough to warrant the needed expenses of digital upgrades and an annual sprucing up. They used to place a significant investment in the theatre every five years (expansions to remodels). However, they seem to have been lagging on remodels and upgrades in recent years and there are no signs they are planning to do anything this year, yet. Even the two adjoining retail units they used to rent out have sat vacant for quite some time now. Aging property (half of which is "outdated"), lack of recent investments, and the looming need to upgrade twenty screens to digital; all sounds like a theatre they are second guessing.

Now that operators are basically required to convert to digital, I would expect there to be a lot of sites closing over the next few years. I'm sure all operators are currently going through theatre rosters and reevaluating the viability of their holdings. However, unlike the last transition (slope seating/multiplex to stadium seating/megaplex), this time will involve some much more substantial venues, via the multitude of early generation megaplexes out there.

Danny Baldwin

- posted April 10, 2012 03:36 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
Is converting older/lagging sites to digital really a burden for AMC and Regal? They can just cycle the projectors over to new builds as the old ones close, being that the current Sony 4k seems like it will be their model for some time to come.

Jeff Arellano

- posted April 11, 2012 12:30 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that they converted montebello to all digital from what I heard.

Christopher Crouch

- posted April 11, 2012 02:58 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
Even equipment reassignment involves the costs of removing, shipping, and installing. In the case of a twenty screen theatre, it’s going to be a hefty investment, no matter what corners are cut. The big question is if they believe that investment will be worth the return. So far, it looks like AMC doesn't think so with the Fullerton 20.

With the Fullerton 20, there is not only the digital question, but the dated inefficiency of twenty screens (divided in to two building no less) and the facility’s overall state (especially the original 8/10 side). Ideally, I would think the 87’ side should be converted to a fork & screen, with the 97’ side remaining a traditional theatre, creating a “destination” entertainment complex. However, that would involve a big commitment. I’m just not sure if they value the location that much these days.

Matthew Lok

- posted April 20, 2012 05:31 PM      Profile for Matthew Lok   Email Matthew Lok         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all your insight guys. I read everything and will be "adding" some stuff soon. [cuckoo-cuckoo]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.