CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Theatres right under your nose!

Author Topic: Theatres right under your nose!
Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted August 12, 2011 05:22 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
So just today while spending an hour or two googling various theatres that I wish had more online exposure, I found that I have been driving past a closed shopping center theatre for TEN YEARS.

On my way to work at the Capitol Drive-In every few months for the last ten years I have passed the Gould Cinemas without ever realizing it. In that time it went from a closed theatre to a boarded up mess. How will I ever get decent photos?!?!

I meet people at parties and can amaze them by telling them where they're from simply by learning what their multiplex of choice was growing up; but I didn't know about a 3-plex in a shopping center I've driven past dozens of times? One that looks like it was BEGGING for a 3-plex?!

I haven't felt this violated since AMC built a theatre at the intersection of the busiest highways in the Bay Area and I didn't know about it until opening day.

Has this ever happened to you? We're the nerd-elite of the theatre world and I want to understand how things can slip past right under our noses!

How many of us knew this mess of a theatre was being built? I know I didn't until Krikorian had closed it.

Next I'm going to find out that there used to be a GCC across the street from my house. Then I'll need a padded room.

Good weekend to all!

|  IP: Logged

Christopher Crouch

- posted August 13, 2011 04:22 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a few years back, I remember driving by a dilapidated and fire damaged strip mall in Stanton several times; glancing over and wondering about what used to be there (even thinking "that kind of looks like a theatre marquee"). Some time later, I discover the business I wondered about was the Stanton Theatre. What makes this worse is that there was a "Stanton Theatre" label scar on the front of the building. Unfortunately, I only discovered this after they had torn the building down. I looked at this structure, contemplated it's past, and still failed to piece everything together.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted August 13, 2011 10:04 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when I took the pictures that we have on the site for the Stanton -- I was driving down Beach and as I passed I slammed on the brakes and made a U-Turn and had to investigate!

Edward Findlay

- posted August 13, 2011 08:09 PM      Profile for Edward Findlay   Email Edward Findlay         Edit/Delete Post 
I had that happen after I saw a theatre that was listed on here that I hadn't heard of: Chelsea Theatre in Chelsea, MA.

I was looking for information on another theatre and a map came up from the early 1910s to 1920s and right across the street in a building I have walked past thousands of times for hundreds of reasons...you would have to know what you were looking for to notice that there was anything in the building that wasn't an office or store, very little exists to show it was the second true theatre in the city and the only one whose building is still standing about 100 years later!

Jeff Arellano

- posted August 15, 2011 07:07 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Laemelle opening a theater in Lancaster CA. DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT IT AND WHY IN LANCASTER!!!

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted August 16, 2011 10:01 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Weird. I suppose even the farthest reaches need art films too.

Danny Baldwin

- posted August 16, 2011 01:35 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw that, too! More info here -- http://lancastercinemas.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&Itemid=71 -- but it doesn't really clear up the whys of the situation.

Todd Erwin

- posted August 25, 2011 01:17 PM      Profile for Todd Erwin   Email Todd Erwin         Edit/Delete Post 
I've lived in South Orange County, CA for well over 20 years, and to this day I cannot remember there ever being a Laguna Hills 12. And I know where just about every theatre was and is that was built or existed in South OC from 1987 and on.

Christopher Crouch

- posted August 29, 2011 08:14 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've lived in South Orange County, CA for well over 20 years, and to this day I cannot remember there ever being a Laguna Hills 12
That must be a misplacement. The only UA's in Orange County during the 90's were the Buena Park Mall, Orange City Center, and Brea Marketplace. Perhaps, that entry is meant to be the UA Laguna Village 12, in Sacramento?

One that slipped under my radar: The Movie Experience 17 at California Oaks, in Murrieta, was sold to Reading Cinemas sometime recently. I knew Sanborn/The Movie Experience was looking to sell the theatre, but that transaction caught me by surprise. I'm not sure when it happened (I just found out today and was told by someone in Texas, of all places).

Jeff Arellano

- posted August 30, 2011 02:38 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow that one came as a big suprise. I know sandborn is in trouble but selling your most profitable theater must be a sign that the chain is almost finished. One theater left.

Mann and Movie Experience. Both almost done.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted August 30, 2011 11:20 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
You're right -- that is Laguna Village in Elk Grove. Weird.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted September 07, 2011 12:22 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Goddammit! Another one I didn't know existed... and I used to know the folks at Rennaisance Rialto.

Antiques by the Bay Theatre

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.