CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Laguna Hills Mall 3 goes digital!!!

Author Topic: Laguna Hills Mall 3 goes digital!!!
Kyle Muldrow

- posted May 29, 2011 07:11 PM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
I just found out that the Laguna Hills Mall 3 theater has officially gone digital!! Their marquees outside the mall and above the theater now say they have new digital projectors and they are showing movies in Real-D 3D...in fact, my wife and I saw Pirates of the Caribbean 4 in 3D this afternoon (3:15 PM showing).

There are also signs inside the theater saying all 3 auditoriums have new silver screens, new sound systems, new digital projectors, and can show 3D movies (They are also showing Kung Fu Panda 2 in 3D). I asked one of the guys in the box office when this happened and he said it was about 2 weeks ago.

Of course, you still pay an extra $2 for 3D. Also, they used to charge only $6 for shows before 6 PM...now it's $7, and I'm not sure that still extends to 6 PM. They may be cutting that off earlier. Plus, this theater still doesn't have its own website, but times are listed on Fandango.

Somehow, someway, this little place survives...

|  IP: Logged

Christopher Crouch

- posted May 29, 2011 10:22 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been surprising who's been able to convert. The big question for many of these small independents is how they will come out, long term, under the financing deals struck for their conversions. In the case of the Laguna Hills Mall 3, I would have to speculate the profit margins are extremely tight as it is; throwing any sort of debt on top of that, let alone a significant one, is a huge burden. However, the way things have been heading in the industry, they don't have much choice. It's really a damned if you do, damned if you don't prospect for them.

Danny Baldwin

- posted May 30, 2011 08:18 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
Studios are still subsidizing conversions to a degree, so that it probably their thinking... if they wait until the studios stop printing altogether, they might not be able to survive fronting 100% of conversion costs. As it is now, these tiny old places probably rack up quite a bit of debt, but it's less than it would be.

Todd Erwin

- posted August 25, 2011 01:21 PM      Profile for Todd Erwin   Email Todd Erwin         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember this theatre used to have 70mm in the main aud.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.