CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Pacific Theaters slowly going away?

Author Topic: Pacific Theaters slowly going away?
Jeff Arellano

- posted May 11, 2011 11:47 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago they sold all theaters except the Los Angeles theaters to Reading.

Then they convert three more locations to Arclights.

Then they close a couple years ago their Lakewood 9.

Now they have gotten rid of their Commerce 14 which will have Regency taking over operation on Friday. I wonder what their next plan is..

|  IP: Logged

Chris Utley

- posted May 12, 2011 08:45 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
The Lakewood 9 closure is no big deal...their gargantuan Lakewood 16 is right down the street. Were 25 screens within blocks of each other really necessary? Them dropping the Commerce is a bit of a shock, though.

I don't think Pacific is going away. Their parent company has clearly reshifted their focus to the ArcLight brand (The Grove will be the next theatre to be ArcLighted...they've already switched to reserved seating). I'm more concerned with Pacific hanging onto the Vineland Drive-In more than anything else. If they dump that theatre, I'll have a fit...

...and then I'll be emailing the good folks at DeAnza begging them to take it over - and, most importantly - to MAKE IT OVER!

Rob Alexander

- posted May 12, 2011 11:08 AM      Profile for Rob Alexander   Email Rob Alexander         Edit/Delete Post 
Pacific Theaters added their own Large Screen Format at the Winnetka 21 in Chatsworth last week. They re-did the seats, added a huge 80 foot screen in the second largest auditorium, and a Meyer Sound system. They put some serious bucks in that. If you go to Meyer Sound's facebook page there are some awesome pics of it.

It's hard to imagine they are going anywhere with that kind of expenditure.

Chris Utley

- posted May 12, 2011 11:12 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Really? They snuck that under the radar! No bells, no whistles, no splashy header in their LA Times ad...NOTHING!

Rob Alexander

- posted May 12, 2011 11:57 AM      Profile for Rob Alexander   Email Rob Alexander         Edit/Delete Post 
I know!! They didnt even name it some 3 letter acronym with an X in the title either...lol.

They are calling it their "Immersive Experience" It is only $1.25 more then other showings and they use Dolby 3D. The LA Times has it mentioned in the small Winnetka 21 listing.

I have no idea if this is a prototype for other locations or not. Also, its not in their largest house, its in the second largest. They left the 800 seater alone. So now they still have one 79 footer, one 70 foot and 3 60 foot screens.

Chris Utley

- posted May 12, 2011 02:17 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
I still say that there's no reason why the old Winnetka Drive-In couldn't have stayed open (in 2-3 screen form) alongside the 21. I went there once and felt the spirit of the old D/I still alive while hanging in the parking lot.

Kyle Muldrow

- posted May 13, 2011 08:38 AM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
I have also been to the Winnetka 21 (several years ago). I really liked that theater, but I agree with Chris...wish they could have kept 2 or 3 drive-in screens around. Would have been a nice gesture on Pacific's part...

Chris Utley

- posted May 13, 2011 10:34 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Kyle, it wasn't Pacific's fault. One of the LA County Supervisors insisted that the entire D/I be shredded or no deal for Pacific.

Kyle Muldrow

- posted May 14, 2011 10:54 AM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Gee...that supervisor either had a back-door deal that got him some cash or had a major axe to grind against Pacific or someone associated with the drive-in...can't imagine why he/she would care that much about it otherwise.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted May 15, 2011 04:56 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey -- put a little hope for West Wind Drive-Ins should Pacific ever want the Vineland gone.

Though I doubt they ever will. I'd bet the only reason they still operate it is that 1) it makes its own money and 2) they own the land and have nothing to do with it right now.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.