CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Cinépolis to Make Quiet Entry into U.S.?

Author Topic: Cinépolis to Make Quiet Entry into U.S.?
Danny Baldwin

- posted April 27, 2011 07:19 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't confirm for sure but...

The UltraStar La Costa 6, a quaint former-Edwards in Carlsbad, CA, is closing this Sunday. I asked the folks at the theater if someone was taking over and they told me yes... Someone I know then contacted the shopping center manager over the phone, who said that "Siney-opolis" would be the one taking over.

So, if that means THE Cinépolis is taking over, does this mean they'll be doing a Spanish-subtitled concept? While North San Diego County is full of Hispanics, this is kind of an upscale shopping center for your average Spanish-subtitled locations. Will they be doing an entirely new, North American concept?

I have some e-mails into Cinépolis and the mall Twitter asking for further information. It's possible somebody decided to call their new company "Cineopolis", but I doubt it. I personally had my doubts about a normal exhib remodeling the location, figuring it would be an indie or discount house because many are pushing for a brand new megaplex not five miles away. But a Spanish language complex... as weird as that would be, kinda makes sense.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted April 29, 2011 11:41 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Why would you assume that a Cinépolis location in the US would be Spanish-language, subtitled, or cater to a Hispanic market at all?

Danny Baldwin

- posted April 29, 2011 04:34 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
Because if you really wanted to launch your brand new American concept, wouldn't you do it with a new megaplex, not an older complex? There have been strong pushes for a new theater very close to this location; this would further the idea that there's got to be some quirk to the idea, as this location could not compete with a megaplex even if it were to be remodeled... Also seems a little weird they would keep the Cinépolis name if they went completely American.

But you're right... I shouldn't assume. The whole thing seems weird.

Danny Baldwin

- posted May 01, 2011 10:26 AM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
The one other possibility I see is Cinépolis does an American version of their "luxury" concept in Mexico... similar to a Gold Class operation, with expensive tickets and in-seat ordering.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted May 02, 2011 11:15 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
There is also the Cineopolis in Vancouver, WA that does the fancy dining theatres. Maybe they're involved?

Danny Baldwin

- posted May 02, 2011 04:33 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
I see that listed as "Cinetopia". They aren't related, are they?

Danny Baldwin

- posted May 05, 2011 08:11 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, confirmed it will be a 21+ food/drink concept: http://bit.ly/kWvOU7. Will be interesting to see what they do.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted May 09, 2011 01:49 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
You're right -- Cinetopia... and to my knowledge no, they're not related.

Danny Baldwin

- posted May 16, 2011 07:56 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
Confirmed that it is indeed Cinépolis, and that they have also taken the Del Mar Highlands 8 that UltraStar was supposed to be turning into an UltraLuxe. Alas, the fixed aspect ratio screens there will be gone! Should be interesting.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.