CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » AMC Randhurst 16 Replaced By 12 Screen

Author Topic: AMC Randhurst 16 Replaced By 12 Screen
David Au

- posted April 26, 2011 03:50 AM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
AMC just closed AMC Randhurst 16 in Mount Prospect, Illinois and are going to open a new 12 screen theater just a few hundred feet away on April 29. Randhurst 16 was a former GCC stadium theater.

Why are they doing this? I thought GCC theaters were pretty high quality theaters. The theater was only built in 1996. Why spend so much money building a brand new theater just a few hundred feet away and with fewer screens?

From the information on the AMC website I see that the new theater has a MacGuffins Bar and an ETX auditorium.

I'm sorry, but I read a review from someone who has already visited the new theater for a free movie showing and the ETX auditorium was not much bigger than the standard auditorium next to it. Although, there are tables with leg rests in some auditoriums.

Didn't GCC build theaters with pretty big screens back in the late 90s?

The new theater does feature self serve concession areas and easy to access soda fountains in the hallways. Doesn't that mean that people will be taking soda like crazy?

|  IP: Logged

Robert Crabtree

- posted April 27, 2011 01:24 AM      Profile for Robert Crabtree   Email Robert Crabtree         Edit/Delete Post 
Reminds me of one of the slogans from Aldous Huxley's Brave New World: Ending is better than mending.

Not being remotely familiar with Randhurst, I can only speculate that it is in need of some serious renovations/improvements, and AMC figured "Heck, for a little more, we can make a brand new building!"

Looking at the pictures from Scott Neff's 2006 visit, I'd say definitely seats, and possibly carpet, and whatever is defective backstage. Though I have to say, though my childhood theater was an earlier generation of GCC, seeing the lobby/hallway shots make me a bit nostalgic.

Other possibilities- there may have been serious design flaws in the building, or this new facility offers a better landlord/better lease.

John J. Fink

- posted April 27, 2011 06:06 AM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
I posed the same question at Cinema Treasures - - and the new theatre ironically enough is LEED certified. It appears the old GCC was on its own and the new AMC will be in a lifestyle center, perhaps the GCC 16 was perceived as being dated. GCC absolutely did build high quality theatres, in Buffalo, NY several generations (60's-80's) of GCC are still open and running 35MM - all still have nearly perfect presentation (the Dipson chain is a good one).

Off the top of my head, AMC probably wanted to compete with Muvico and reduce excess capacity.

Mark Campbell

- posted April 27, 2011 06:44 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
The old GCC appears to have proper side masking, whereas bet the new AMC will have dreadful top-down masking.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted May 02, 2011 11:16 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes] masking preferences [Roll Eyes]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.