HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Large Screen Formats

Author Topic: Large Screen Formats
Dan Spaulding

- posted April 09, 2011 11:32 AM      Profile for Dan Spaulding   Email Dan Spaulding         Edit/Delete Post 
In my area there are 2 theaters both with premium priced large screen formats. AMC has an Imax screen about 53ft wide & Regal has there RPX screen about 60ft wide. While the presentations themselves are excellent with a dynamic sound does anyone think it's worth the added cost ? The Imax has a $5 up charge for 2D & $6 for 3D. RPX has $3 up charge & $5 for 3D at Regal. This week in Imax "Born to be Wild" in Imax 3D AMC isn't charging extra since it's only 42 minutes.

|  IP: Logged

Rob Alexander

- posted May 03, 2011 02:22 PM      Profile for Rob Alexander   Email Rob Alexander         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been to Digital Imax, XD, Gardenwalk's UltraMax, and ETX. Of those 4 options, the one that stood out above of them was the UltraMax auditorium at the Anaheim Gardenwalk, which had no up charge whatsoever, amazing light output and resolution, not to mention the sound. The worst was ETX, as they didn't even change the damn seats in the auditorium and still charged $5 more for a picture that didn't even fill the corners of the screen with enough light.

However, NONE of these can compare to what I just saw over the weekend at Grauman's Chinese for the TCM festival. Barco's 4K DLP.

Trust me, this is a game changer. I have never seen an image like that on screen before other then real 70mm IMAX. During the movie Goldfinger, you could see the pores on Bond's skin, the individual blades of grass during the plane landing scene. The light output was amazing (granted the entire screen was not used due to the original aspect ratio). The same was true with That's Entertainment. You could have told me I was watching a newly stuck 70mm print and I wouldn't have known the difference.

Once these big screen formats get a 4K chip, it will be impressive. The Big Newport has an upgradable Barco projector...lets hope they upgrade that baby soon...

John J. Fink

- posted May 03, 2011 07:22 PM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking the reason chains haven't fully embraced 4K apart from Sony's projectors are that the majority of films aren't exhibited in 4K yet. The difference is pretty amazing.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.