Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Fridley Theatres

Author Topic: Fridley Theatres
Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted December 28, 2010 02:58 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
This is sure to be a topic that goes nowhere, but while looking at the new pictures of the Village Theatre in Knoxville, IA I thought to myself "Wow, I've seen this theatre somewhere before." And that lead me to another one of Fridley's theatres in Spencer, IA.

Apparently Fridley likes to use ceiling tiles as acoustic wall treatments?

|  IP: Logged

John J. Fink

- posted December 28, 2010 07:43 PM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
The now departed Screening Zone (Montclair, NJ) was converted from a bank building I believe by the owners themselves (no professional contractors for most of the work) and it shows - for acoustic paneling they used (no joke) egg crete foam mattress pads.

As for Fridley the only thing I remember is the guy that runs it refused to book Fahrenheit 9/11 at his theaters.

Bob Allen

- posted December 29, 2010 12:18 AM      Profile for Bob Allen   Email Bob Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
Fridley owns theatres in Iowa and Nebraska. It is a family run operation. They also refused to book "Brokeback Mountain" in any of their theatres and I applaud them for that.

The Evil Sam Graham

- posted January 02, 2011 12:21 PM      Profile for The Evil Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email The Evil Sam Graham         Edit/Delete Post 
Also note the star effect on the ceiling, which used to be a Fridley trademark.

They did a couple of stadium plexes in the Des Moines metro that have a much nicer, sort of old-school 'palace' feel to them in five of their nine auditoriums (the waterfall curtains are framed into the side walls), but they're still ultimately cheap builds with an unimpressive presentation.

I've never met Bob Fridley personally, but people who know him say he's one of the more fascinating people to sit down and chat with about movies and exhibition. The guy's done it all, from operating theatres to financing low-budget films. I believe his son-in-law, a National Amusements veteran, is in charge these days.

Fridley also operates a chain of video rental stores called The Video Warehouse. At the old Paramount 5 in Ankeny, you had to walk through the video rental store (which also had its own entrance) to get from the theatre lobby to at least one, maybe two, of the auditoriums.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.