CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Last of a dying chain. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Last of a dying chain.
Bill Gabel

- posted January 11, 2011 01:19 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
The lease can't be more than what they were paying on the Village and Bruin Theatres in Westwood. Chinese Theatres long lease is much more friendlier. Many of Mann's/National General's long term leases had great terms. Mann dropped many houses once their leases expired and they would turn to today's values. The next owner would have to restore the full stage since it is no longer is there.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Erickson

- posted January 11, 2011 02:31 PM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
. Mann is probably going to walk away from the lease and take a loss. Historically, it is a landmark and I would imagine the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce will take the steps to preserve the status of being a theatre. It just needs someone to actually get excited about it. Mann has been just letting it run on auto pilot, let's face it Mann has been slowly closing shop and does not care.

I would think the Chinese 6 would perhaps close and turn into retail space. It has been nothing really but a move over venue.

Christopher Crouch

- posted January 11, 2011 10:02 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
If the rumor is true (that's a big if), it could just mean they will stop operating it as a first run and focus entirely on tours, festivals, special events/screenings, rentals, etc. Or, the rumor might be entirely related to the adjascent six.

I find it very unlikely Grauman's Chinese would close or ever be converted to non cinema use. There may not be a line of operators ready to pick up the remaining years on Mann's lease, but the landlord and city would never allow it to sit dormant. If Mann were to fully back out, I'm sure there would be a new operator and some plan quickly lined up. Mann leaving acually might be the best thing, as it would open the door to new ideas and the sort of operators that would be better suited for the site.

Brad Erickson

- posted January 12, 2011 09:25 AM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. The Chinese is suffering only because Mann has turned its back on exhibition. The Chinese needs someone to take interest in it again. It should be a showplace like the El Capitan. Re; the Chinese 6. They seem more likely to fold, or perhaps be leased out separately.

Edward Havens

- posted January 12, 2011 10:01 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate knowing things and not being able to talk about them...

Jeff Arellano

- posted January 12, 2011 11:30 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Ill make the first most likely incorrect speculation: Rave is taking over the Chinese. Or maybe regency

Brad Erickson

- posted January 12, 2011 12:33 PM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
I would say NO to Regency because I think they are just able to operate the Village and Bruin. RAVE sounds a like good guess.

Edward Havens

- posted January 13, 2011 02:06 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens         Edit/Delete Post 
If Rave were taking over the Chinese, and I knew something about it, I wouldn't be posting here. I'd keep my trap shut, because I've seen even the slightest mention of a deal collapse a deal in the past.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.