CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Last of a dying chain. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Last of a dying chain.
Dan Roben

- posted December 29, 2010 12:18 AM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I'll have to peruse the Seattle Public Online Seattle Times archives to confirm where Poltergeist played in Seattle, but I don't believe it was at The Town. AFAIK, Apocolypse Now was the only 70MM film to play there, and that was only because it was the only downtown house available (this was when many films in Seattle opened exclusively in a single theater). SRO did an amazing job of turning the very non-descript Town into an excellent 70MM venue, if only for the length of the run.

There are two Luxury Theater original builds in the Bremerton area, the Kitsap 4 in Silverdale (mid to late 80s?) now operated by Regal and The Olympic 4, an independent in Bremerton (early 80s). If the Olympic has not been seriously renovated, it would be the most "luxury" of Luxury Theaters and a living museum for bad cinemas. As for Oregon, where Luxury was headquartered, an original build from the 1960s is still operating as an independent theater-pub, the Valley 3 in Beaverton.

Sorry for the oversight on the Tacoma Mall and Tacoma South Cinemas. I guess I was being Seattle-centric in my post.
-----------------
I just checked the archives and Poltergeist did play The Town exclusively in 70MM. Now I'm going to start doubting my own memory!

In fact, 70MM was well represented all over Seattle. General Cinema's The King featured an exclusive run of Annie, The Jazz Singer was playing at the Cinerama, Grease 2 at the Grand Cinemas Alderwood, The Wrath of Khan at the Lewis and Clark, John Danz and Grand Cinemas Alderwood, a title I can't remember at the Southcenter (hey, it's 1 AM!)...

Luxury Theaters was represented in the Seattle market by the decrepit Coliseum, the cheap-even-by-Luxury-standards Aurora Village 4, the oddly-split Crossroads Quad (forerunner of today's Crossroads 8) and the delightfully tacky Kent 6.

Besides the classy King Cinema, General Cinema was represented by the Renton Village 3 with its great shadowbox theater, and the utilitarian Aurora Cinema 3 and Overlake Cinema 3. And, don't forget, the paintings in the "art galleries" in the GCC lobbies were for sale!

Looking at those old ads reminds me how spoiled we Seattle movie lovers were...

[ December 29, 2010, 01:10 AM: Message edited by: Dan Roben ]

|  IP: Logged

Mark Campbell

- posted December 29, 2010 10:10 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, does that mean one can access print editions of the Seattle Times online? If so where? Talk about a way to neglect my family and sit on my computer into the night.

Yes, the early '80's where quite the years for film lovers in Seattle/Tacoma, especially a young budding movie buff like myself. I was not even a teen in '82 but was insisting to my parents that we "go to that theatre farther away because the movie is in 70mm!".

Dave Felthous

- posted December 31, 2010 04:33 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
You're correct, Mark. Crossroads opened at holiday time 1988 (I saw Working Girls Christmas Day) and Alderwood in June 1986. Alderwood opened a couple of weeks after SRO's Oak Tree, which made its debut Memorial Day weekend with Top Gun in 70mm in their largest house. Until a recent burglary I had the stub of the ticket I bought the first day. I was Oak Tree's first customer.

AMC is belatedy upgrading Oak Tree to better compete with Regal's Thornton Place. It has gone all digital and has a couple of 3-D houses. Still, Regal continues to open nearly all 3-D movies -- Yogi Bear is one exception -- while continuing to get 3-D moveovers from Thornton Place.

Mark Campbell

- posted January 01, 2011 10:46 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, Gulliver's Travels is another 3D exception for the Oak Tree. But not much of an exception. Sorry to hear about the loss of your ticket stub from the Oak Tree. I myself say Top Gun twice in 70MM at the Tacoma Mall Twin and then once again in 35MM in the smaller house.

Michael R. Rambo Jr.

- posted January 03, 2011 03:58 PM      Profile for Michael R. Rambo Jr.   Email Michael R. Rambo Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
Out here in the SE Pennsylvania area, the only theatres that are still operating as movie theatres from the Budco Theatres chain, which was acquired by AMC Theatres in the mid to late 1980's are:
  • AMC 309 Cinema 9 Theatre (Budco 309 Cinema Theatre)
  • Landmark's Ritz East Twin Theatre (Budco/AMC Olde City Twin Theatre)
  • AMC Tilghman 8 Theatre (building was designed by Budco, but opened as AMC)
  • Prince Music Theatre (Stanley Warner's Karlton Theatre/William Goldman-Budco-AMC Midtown Theatre)

Matthew Williams

- posted January 04, 2011 12:12 PM      Profile for Matthew Williams   Email Matthew Williams         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay... I'm pretty sure that UA King of Prussia qualifies as one of, if not THE last theatre built by UA before it was merged into Regal. It's a shame too, because this is a very nice theatre. The decor is very open, but muted and restrained - beige walls and warm colors instead of neon everywhere. The auditoriums are extremely well designed, and the place has the only true IMAX outside of the city. One of my favorite places to see a movie.

Another theatre, UA Oxford Valley Stadium 14, was expanded from a 10-plex in about 2005. That work was done by Regal, but the expansion was planned by UA. Regal put up new United Artists signage instead of its own, and generally speaking the place "feels" like a UA complex instead of a Regal.

I've been noticing the disappearance of UA signage at these locations - Regal went so far as to make replicas of the old UA "This Register Is Closed" placards with its logo - but it's been something that's frankly been happening since 2002. Interestingly, the latest Regal art film guide lists theatres participating in that program, and goes out of its way to label the UAs - while not labeling the Regals or Edwards. I've also seen a resurgence of United Artists on digital signage. Usually the practice seems to be just list the theatre name and omit the true "owner".

Now, onto this question:

quote:
Even better since AMC started the stadium trend.. what were the last sloped floor AMC's to open.
I'm not sure if it's the last, but AMC Woodhaven 10 opened in 1995 - and it's not a stadium. I believe it's a complete reconstruction of a 4-plex that used to sit on that site. If there's anything remaining of the old complex, I'd be surprised, but I'm sure it played a role in the design.

Basically, in layout and design Woodhaven matches AMC Marple 10, which predated this theatre by five years, and probably a bunch of pre-stadium AMC 10-plexes across the country. In amenities, however, it clearly takes a lot from AMC's then-new stadium complexes. They have the plush high-back seats, lots of neon, the curved screens, etc.

It's not a sloped theatre in the strictest sense of the word, because the seats are on risers: however, they're not on the steep stadium risers, so the feel is much closer to a traditional slope auditorium than anything.

I'm actually surprised it's still open for two reasons - those being the ex-GCC Franklin Mills 14 down the road and the Neshaminy 24 further up, both operated by AMC and doing quite good business. Franklin Mills seems to have gotten higher on the company's list, since it got an IMAX conversion and midnight shows. I wouldn't be surprised if Woodhaven was on a list to get converted to the Dine-In concept soon.

Chris Utley

- posted January 04, 2011 01:45 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Okay... I'm pretty sure that UA King of Prussia qualifies as one of, if not THE last theatre built by UA before it was merged into Regal. It's a shame too, because this is a very nice theatre. The decor is very open, but muted and restrained - beige walls and warm colors instead of neon everywhere. The auditoriums are extremely well designed, and the place has the only true IMAX outside of the city. One of my favorite places to see a movie.

I went to the King of Prussia location during my East Coast vacation in Summer 2005. It was the biggest daggone UA I've ever seen. I was shocked...SHOCKED at it's size. We saw a movie in one of the larger auditoriums. We tried to sneak a peek at the IMAX room but the manager on patrol wouldn't let us.

Brad Erickson

- posted January 04, 2011 04:42 PM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
Once Mann unloads the Chinese, the Mann circuit will officially be dead. Now it is on life support.

Jeff Arellano

- posted January 04, 2011 07:35 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I met someone this weekend who used to work for Mann. If they could close Thousand Oaks he said they would but the lease keeps it from closing for now. He also said that their only theater that is a cash cow is Van Nuys and the Chinese is suffering bad attendance wise.

Brad Erickson

- posted January 05, 2011 10:11 AM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple years from now Mann Theatres will be a fond memory. The Chinese is in a really sad state currently. Arclight pretty much has a monopoly of the "A" product. Honestly, I have not been to the Chinese in about a year, the last film I saw there was Sherlock Holmes last January. I've wanted to go, but the last of product has stopped me.

Jeff Arellano

- posted January 07, 2011 08:49 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it safe to add the Movie Experience / SoCal / Sanborn Theaters? They are down to two locations in San Luis Obispo and their Murietta. They recently lost Temecula Tower 10, and both Blue Jay and Anaheim last year...

Christopher Crouch

- posted January 07, 2011 10:33 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is it safe to add the Movie Experience / SoCal / Sanborn Theaters?
In a newspaper article from around the time the Gardenwalk was opened, Bruce Sanborn mentioned that his children (I believe they are already adults) weren't interested in pursuing the family business. He's nearing retirement age and, without a family interest, there seems to be little motivation for the company to continue on much longer. I'm sure the financial strain of the Gardenwalk project failing and the host of lawsuits that followed haven't helped either.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted January 08, 2011 10:57 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
That's sad. They should just sell the last two theatres to Metropolitan or some other once mighty southern California movie family.

Jeff Arellano

- posted January 10, 2011 07:33 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Some guy on CTresure is reporting that the Chinese will be closed by Mann this year and that they will use the Chinese for other uses than a theater. How true is it? I don't know but I can only see it a a theater or live venue at the least.

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted January 11, 2011 08:41 AM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see that happening until the 99-year lease expires.

Unless Mann can't afford the payments,then i can see it.

But until an official announcement is made,not going to believe it.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.