CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » New AMC @ Mall Of America, Bloomington Minnesota?

Author Topic: New AMC @ Mall Of America, Bloomington Minnesota?
Scott Clayton

- posted December 24, 2010 12:16 PM      Profile for Scott Clayton           Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering with the new expansion of the phase II of Mall Of America. Does the Mall Of America have plans to build a new AMC theatre with stadium seating and digitial sound? I heard someting about building a new AMC over by the IKEA store outside the Mall and they have plenty of parking. I also would like to see some sort of a giant IMAX screen maybe have about 30 screens because its the worlds largest shopping Mall and they could update build a new theatre replace the old AMC which the Mall now owns and operates independltey.

|  IP: Logged

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted December 24, 2010 12:40 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
My guess is that if AMC pulled out of the original theatre there, that the mall owners would likely not want to work with AMC again. Usually if there are talks about adding a new theatre, the theatre chain will hang on to a old theatre just to be in the agreement for the new one.

Also -- since you appear to live around there -- go take pictures of that place. A lot of us here love old General Cinema theatres so go get snappin. [Smile]

Scott Clayton

- posted December 24, 2010 02:12 PM      Profile for Scott Clayton           Edit/Delete Post 
I do remember the old General Cinema 14 at the Mall of America. I use to go to the midnight showings on Friday nights and that place was packed with people. They still do midnight showings on weekends.I havent been back to the theatre in a long time since it closed and re open.

Edward Havens

- posted December 26, 2010 01:51 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, you may not be aware, but IMAX is no longer making the 15/70 projectors. We are never going to see a new 15/70 IMAX house again, and the 15/70 houses that currently exist will eventually have to convert to Digital IMAX once parts for those units can no longer be found and/or prints are no longer made.

The Evil Sam Graham

- posted January 02, 2011 12:06 PM      Profile for The Evil Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email The Evil Sam Graham         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing in the MOA expansion plans mentions a new cinema, but if one went in, I would bet on Regal.

I was in the mall-managed Mall of America 14 once last year for "Shutter Island". The seating was less cramped than I remember it under GCC, but the presentation was crap. Your classic slope seating "Mall 3"-like auditorium with a crappy small screen.

Seemed to be doing a good business, though. (But if that was true, why did AMC pull out?)

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.