CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Guilty Pleasure Theatres / Awful Theatres (Page 0)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Guilty Pleasure Theatres / Awful Theatres
Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted January 04, 2011 07:41 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
No I want to go to Pennsylvania!!! Sounds like there are a lot of old multiplexes!!! Go take pics before they get closed.

|  IP: Logged

Jason Whyte

- posted January 05, 2011 12:49 AM      Profile for Jason Whyte   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Whyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

You should get up to British Columbia sometime, as there are plenty of older multiplexes in all shapes and forms (80's Cineplex Odeon, 90's Cineplex Odeon, old/weird Famous Players builds, old and converted multiplexes etc). Just hit up my photos on the BC page if yer interested.

Jason

Brad Erickson

- posted January 05, 2011 10:18 AM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I have always been a fan of Laemmle. They really were ahead of the game when it came to International and Indie films. When I was a teenager they opened the door for me to see all sorts of films I would not have seen anywhere else. I’ll always support them and hope they are around for a long, long time to come.

Mark Campbell

- posted January 05, 2011 11:22 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, I hope Laemmle sticks around. However when I left LA they were getting hit from every direction (and still seem to be as I follow whats playing where down there online):

Sunset 5: big hits from the Arclight and Grove as it falls right into both their zones.
Royal: hit by The Landmark
Encino: hit by Arclight Sherman Oaks
Music Hall: almost gone. Again the Grove
Fairfax: gone. Grove, Arclight, Beverly Center
Downtown LA: gone, hit by the Regal

The Santa Monica 4 seems to hold its own against the trio of now-all-AMC promenade theatres. But what will happen if the Santa Monica megaplex happens?

Brad Erickson

- posted January 05, 2011 12:33 PM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
The Royal seems to be doing some business with The Illusionist; when I saw it on Christmas evening it had a decent crowd. But it has taken a big hit as has the Nuart. Lately Landmark has done away with the Nuart "Calendar" and have been showing move-overs; the past 2 weeks The Social Network and 127 Hours have been playing there.

I think the Monica theatres will continue; AMC will probably focus on the Hollywood product. There was chatter a couple years ago about Sunset 5 closing, but I have not heard anything lately. The lease must still be affordable.

Laemmle maintains itself because they do not go overboard, they stick within the confines of what they feel works. I tend to believe they also work within affordable leases. It is just matter of product. Films that are crossing over from art to mainstream are being snapped up by the theatre chains.

Mark Campbell

- posted January 05, 2011 12:46 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, I checked Landmark's Website and the Nuart goes back to Calendar programming mid-January. Something tells me they have 127 hours and Social Network there now in anticipation of awards season.

Brad Erickson

- posted January 11, 2011 02:32 PM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
Landmark has issued a new Calendar for the Nuart. I picked it up over the weekend.

Todd Erwin

- posted January 19, 2011 06:40 PM      Profile for Todd Erwin   Email Todd Erwin         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say, if you asked me this question this time last year, Edwards Triangle Square would be at the top of my list for one of the worst theatres that I always avoid. My opinion is changing as the remodeling and upgrading nears completion under the new ownership by Starlight. The new seats make sitting during a movie there much less painful to the back and rear, and the new digital projection, screens, and masking are making movies watchable there for the first time ever. Their new, lower pricing seems to be working, attracting people back to this previously run-down theatre. I saw a few movies there last month, and during Christmas week, the auditoriums were actually occupied.

The only downside is the old-style sloped auditoriums (the ceilings are too low for a stadium retrofit) and the poorly-designed shopping center and parking garage.

Chris Utley

- posted January 19, 2011 09:04 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
They changed the masking? HOW???

Danny Baldwin

- posted January 20, 2011 04:13 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, I think you can put in whatever kind of masking you want with a digital projector, because you can change the size of the image and where it projects to, to some extent. The screens would have to have been made smaller to accommodate both aspect ratios over the same amount of space, of course, but digital makes possible what film could not.

David Pulido

- posted January 21, 2011 11:47 PM      Profile for David Pulido   Email David Pulido         Edit/Delete Post 
Once a digital projector is set, its pretty much set. The 4Ks use two actual projectors to focus the picture..if you move either one of them..it is a pain in the butt! Every theater I know uses the same masking for 35mm that they do for digital.

Danny Baldwin

- posted January 22, 2011 11:38 AM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
David, what I meant was that they likely completely removed the 35mm projectors, and they were able to shift things around upon installation of the new digital projectors.

David Pulido

- posted January 24, 2011 02:28 PM      Profile for David Pulido   Email David Pulido         Edit/Delete Post 
In our case, the digital projectors were installed in 2 hours cause we were only allowed to lose 1 show from the distributors for installation. They used the same masking specs for the digital projectors.

Todd Erwin

- posted January 29, 2011 11:51 AM      Profile for Todd Erwin   Email Todd Erwin         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

In the two auditoriums I've visited thus far at Triangle Square, they've either added movable side masking in the largest aud (at the end of the hall) or movable drop-down masking in the smaller auds. In many instances, they have even replaced the existing screen, as the previous screen left by Regal was torn and/or badly stained.

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted February 01, 2011 09:02 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a review of Orange County cinemas from Orange Coast Magazine in July 1980.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.