CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Edwards Fashion Island to expand (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Edwards Fashion Island to expand
Ron Pierce

- posted December 13, 2010 10:38 AM      Profile for Ron Pierce   Email Ron Pierce         Edit/Delete Post 
Orange County Register, Dec 11. 2010, by Nancy Luna

http://fastfood.ocregister.com/2010/12/09/wahoos-kicked-out-of-fashion-island-space/82582/

I knew something fishy was going on at the upper level Fashion Island food court when we reported last week that Red Robin was closing.

A year ago, McDonald’s shut down in the food court near the movie theater, and the Irvine Co. has yet to replace it. After Red Robin leaves at the end of the month, Subway and Wahoo’s Fish Taco will be the only eateries left upstairs.

But that is expected to change. Wahoo’s Fish Taco co-owner Wing Lam said the Irvine Co., owner of the mall, has asked him to vacate his space to make room for an expansion of the movie theater.

“I am moving out in March,” Lam said. “We’re disappointed.”

While officials at McDonald’s and Red Robin said the Fashion Island locations didn’t generate enough revenue to justify keeping the stores open, Lam said Wahoo’s makes money. A majority of his customers are employees who work at the center.
Lam said his lease allows him to move to another mall space. Wahoo’s is slated to relocate to the lower level food area at Atrium Court near Dick’s Sporting Goods, he said.

When asked for more details about the Wahoo’s move and proposed movie theater changes, an Irvine Co. representative declined to comment.

|  IP: Logged

Christopher Crouch

- posted December 14, 2010 02:44 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
I spoke with an Irvine Company rep about this a few months ago (my theatre is also an Irvine Company property). According to him, the plan is to covert the location in to a high end boutique cinema (food/liquor, lounge, luxury services/ammenities, etc.). Work is set to begin during phase two of Fashion Island's remodel (i.e. spring 2011).

Jeff Arellano

- posted December 14, 2010 04:34 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Is Regal going to run it? This is the first time that I know of regal taking on this task.

John J. Fink

- posted December 14, 2010 04:40 PM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps as a Cinebarre (Regal owns a stake in that company)

Ron Pierce

- posted December 15, 2010 02:50 AM      Profile for Ron Pierce   Email Ron Pierce         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/fashion-280294-island-money.html

The giant landlord/developer just finished a $100 million upgrade of Fashion Island’s shopping center that included a new Nordstrom, added parking plus fresh landscape and fountains. Also, $10 million was spent renovating office buildings it owns at the distinctive, mixed-use complex with a view of the Pacific.
Now comes word that Fashion Island’s seven-screen Island Cinemas – owned by the Irvine Co. -- will close Jan. 12 for a nearly year-long renovation that promises a “state-of-the-art complex” complete with extra-wide, stadium-style seating with “a spacious lobby with a classic look that reflects Fashion Island’s Italianate architecture.” The theater is expected to reopen for 2011’s holiday movie season.
Irvine Co. retail chief Keith Eyrich explains it’s the first renovation for a theater that opened in 1989 and that it will result in upscale, “different experience” for movie fans that cannot be found elsewhere in Orange County.
The company's willingness to further invest in the shopping center is likely driven by early results of the makeover. Eyrich says Fashion Isalnd's same-store sales -- a key measure of retail success-- are up at a "nearly double digit" percentage gain for the year.

Chris Utley

- posted December 15, 2010 09:09 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
It's Regal. Don't expect too much from this "remodel".

David Imboden

- posted December 15, 2010 09:54 AM      Profile for David Imboden   Email David Imboden         Edit/Delete Post 
At least they are doing it right and closing it down to remodel instead of limping along looking like a half opened theatre during the remodel (a la Gardenwalk)

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted December 16, 2010 09:49 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Most likely the remodel is being instigated by the landlord to raise the caliber of their property. With that I'm sure they're paying for all the improvements to the theatre up to and including the primary fixtures. I can't imagine that Regal was chomping at the bit to get a new theatre there given the performance of the current theatre, unless they want to combine the operations from Big Newport and Fashion Island, which would in itself be a shame.

Chris Utley

- posted December 16, 2010 11:35 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott: Have you ever been in Fashion Island 7? It's a TURD! [moon] [barf] Sloped floor. Fixed aspect ratio screens...so fixed that 2:35 is cropped on them. No stadium seating. Used as the 2nd (or 3rd) screens for many high caliber titles due to lack of space at Big Newport.

Since Regal runs the joint, the upgrade will be up to their usual cut rate standards (at least it'll have all digital projection! [thumbs up] ) but, in this case, an upgrade was/is definitely more than necessary!

Christopher Crouch

- posted December 16, 2010 04:09 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
Considering that we're talking about Fashion Island, the Irvine Company, and a project that will take almost a year, I would suspect it will end up being a virtually new theatre; far too prestigious a property and too demanding a landlord for anything less. REG being involved or not is almost a side note, as the Irvine Company owns the theatre and will be dictating what the project entails (they are notorious control freaks).

Chris Utley

- posted December 16, 2010 10:19 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Irvine Co owns Irvine Spectrum too, right? How did those theatres turn out after they got redesigned? Quite Regal as I recall...and I don't mean that in a nice way!

Eric Gieszl

- posted December 16, 2010 10:40 PM      Profile for Eric Gieszl           Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, I don't agree with you regarding Irvine Spectrum. That theater has some fantastic screens. However, I think you're right regarding Regal. Irvine Company is NOT a demanding landlord and they'll let Regal build whatever they want. Irvine Company is demanding in the rent department, landscaping and color of parking lot stripes, but otherwise I'm not impressed.

I didn't know digital projection was an upgrade. That sounds like a downgrade for me.

Maybe they'll put in a lie-MAX. It's too bad that Irvine Company didn't boot Regal for a real operator who'd put in reserved seating, in-seat dining and a bar.

Christopher Crouch

- posted December 17, 2010 02:50 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is what Corona Del Mar Today said about the theatre back in May:

"Fashion Island could see the conversion of seven existing movie theaters to luxury theaters “with a grand lobby and wine bar,” according to reports from Newport Beach city officials.

The theater seating would be changed to a luxury stadium configuration, which would reduce 30 to 50 percent of the seats, city officials said. Building Department senior staff met with Irvine Company project managers and architects to discuss possible plans, but there is no word on when this project might begin..."

Chris Utley

- posted December 17, 2010 08:58 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Chris, I don't agree with you regarding Irvine Spectrum. That theater has some fantastic screens.
5 - FIVE - fantastic screens out of 21. [Eek!] [moon] [barf]

Unless the movie of your choice is in the FIVE, there is NO REASON to go to this theatre! At all.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted December 17, 2010 01:15 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been to Fashion Island, forget what I saw there but yeah, old theatre, typical of the era. But I don't know what its turdiness has to do with what I said. I doubt Regal was concerned with its overall appearance, the Tustin Marketplace 6 is still open isn't it? The only reason something is happening here has GOT to be the landlord and not Regal.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.