HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Uptown, Seattle

Author Topic: Uptown, Seattle
Dave Felthous

- posted December 02, 2010 09:05 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
The latest gossip is that AMC will board it up in Febuary and wait until its lease is up in 2012.

That's terrible. A boarded-up theater brings down the whole neighborhood. It happened in my hometown in 1955. Even though that theater reopened 15 years later it was never the same.

I feel sorry for the lower Queen Anne neighborhood and merchants.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Campbell

- posted December 03, 2010 10:10 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand. If they have a lease going until 2012 why not just program it best they can and keep it open until then?

Chris Utley

- posted December 03, 2010 10:37 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
AMC's been on a tear lately closing 1-3 screeners across the country over the past few weeks.

Jeff Arellano

- posted December 03, 2010 11:19 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
AMC also closed a theater in PA that was an 8 or 9 plex, and their cherry on top of this closing sundae was Pine Square, a 16 plex.

Danny Baldwin

- posted December 03, 2010 06:07 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'd be surprised if AMC had a single sub-10 plex in a smaller market in five years from now. I used to work at their Encinitas 8 in the San Diego area, which closed in early 2007. We would still do about 2,500 people a weekend, which is a lot more than some of the sites that are still open do.

Jeff Arellano

- posted December 03, 2010 07:55 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm suprised they kept Montebello open..they even upgraded it to all digital projection! Especially with Monterey Park opening just a few miles away.

Danny Baldwin

- posted December 04, 2010 08:22 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if all-digital allows them to eliminate a projectionist entirely at 10-house locations? If it allows them to cut one person from their staff for 12-hours per day, at CA minimum wage, then it's only about seven years before they make back their money on all new Sony 4k projectors. (Not to mention, if they shut the place down, they could move the projectors anyway.) So it's actually to their advantage to be upgrading older sites, it would seem.

John J. Fink

- posted December 05, 2010 09:18 AM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
AMC I think is slowly going all digital and it looks like first they are installing 3D in an auditorium or two before taking the whole theatre all digital - there are a few I'm shocked to learn are all digital signaling, I think that AMC will be there long term (AMC Tilghman 8 in Allentown, PA is one which I thought was on the chopping block). Another bizarre 8 plex they seem to forget they own outside of Buffalo has a digital 3D but the rest are 35MM - AMC Maple Ridge 8 (a perfectly preserved 80's era AMC that hasn't changed since then).

On the contrary I have to wonder what the long term plan for the former Loews flagship in Ridgefield Park, NJ is - not even a 3D system in the complex.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.