HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Big Newport now all digital

Author Topic: Big Newport now all digital
Rob Alexander

- posted November 15, 2010 02:29 PM      Profile for Rob Alexander   Email Rob Alexander         Edit/Delete Post 
On Friday, I noticed in the LA Times, that the Big Newport listed digital projection. So I called them and asked. I was told Friday was the first official day with 5 Sony 4K's in all auditoriums but the bigger one. In the Big Newport they installed a Barco projector. They also replaced the screen with a silver one, and the manager told me they kept they exact same size screen.

So I headed out from Palm Springs to check it out. I have been here only three times before. I love this theatre immensely, but the picture was always a bit grainy and dark in 35mm presentations on that huge screen. I have never seen a 70mm film there so I cannot comment on that.

The preshow sucked, but afterward the curtains closed. Theatre went dark and they opened with a "Edwards Big Newport" slide up. I have never seen that. When the curtains and masking totally opened the previews started.

The movie was amazing. The sound was one of the best systems I have ever heard. MUCH better then before. You could feel your shirt rumble from the bass, but it was also crystal clear. The picture blew me away. I'm not a huge fan of digital, but my god. This was amazing and the first time I have seen it done right. There was no blurry images, everything was sharp and BRIGHT. Of the 4 movies I have now seen here, this was by far the superior image.

If you have a chance..check it out. They also took those costco tickets so it was 8 bucks. Amazing. [Rolling on Floor Laughing] [Eek!]

|  IP: Logged

Christopher Crouch

- posted November 15, 2010 07:19 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
The only downside to this is that it will take away the digital booking perk the Lido had been enjoying.

Todd Erwin

- posted January 19, 2011 06:46 PM      Profile for Todd Erwin   Email Todd Erwin         Edit/Delete Post 
On a bizarre note, Tustin Marketplace is also now all-digital. I'm surprised Regal has held on to that dump.

Christopher Crouch

- posted January 20, 2011 01:03 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm surprised Regal has held on to that dump.

I've been puzzled by that too. I had expected it to be one of the sites that was dumped, rather than converted. At most, I thought they would wait out the lease, continuing to run it as a move over; then, it would be converted in to restraunt or retail space. If there were more space around it, there might have been an opportunity for a "fork & screen", but I don't think that's possible with the facility's tight configuration.

Even with the conversion, it's still being utilized as more of a move over house and the numbers continue to be pathetic. About the only thing it's doing right now is delaying area subrun release dates for a couple of weeks.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted January 20, 2011 01:15 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they have an amazing deal on rent? I can imagine for the time it was built if the shopping center had approached Edwards to put a theatre in that James Edwards Sr. may have worked out the deal of a lifetime.

Danny Baldwin

- posted January 20, 2011 04:11 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
I could be off... but I think digital is becoming a cost advantage ESPECIALLY at less busy theaters like Tustin. This is because, before, on weekdays, there would be a dedicated projectionist... now, a manager or usher does it. An 8 hour shift X $8 hour cuts over $250 a week, or $13,000 a year, in payroll. Right now, a Sony 4K projector goes for $28,000 if you were to buy it personally... it's probably around $20k in the bulk deals Regal has. That means, not even counting the greatly less shipping fees and build-up hours, they break even in less than two years on each projector. And those projectors can be easily moved and re-used at other locations if they close before that, which they'd need to upgrade anyway.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.