CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » 3rd Try: Regal To Reopen Edwards Valencia IMAX

Author Topic: 3rd Try: Regal To Reopen Edwards Valencia IMAX
Eric Gieszl

- posted November 09, 2010 08:36 PM      Profile for Eric Gieszl           Edit/Delete Post 
Regal Entertainment Group announced today that they will reopen the IMAX Theater at the Edwards Valencia Stadium 12.

This was originally a 15/70 IMAX that closed after Edwards filed for bankruptcy. After Edwards was sold to Regal the IMAX equipment returned and the theater reopened, but was closed again in June 2006.

It was my understanding that the IMAX house was converted to a regular 35 house.

Regal said they're installing Digital IMAX. If they plan on using the same auditorium then this will be the first Digital IMAX projector in a ground-up built IMAX auditorium. I wonder how large the screen will be? I wish they would do the "right thing" and reinstall the 15/70 equipment.

IMAX Digital is a scam!

|  IP: Logged

Chris Utley

- posted November 09, 2010 09:01 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
But if they converted it into a regular 35 house, then Digital IMAX should be easy to install.

Mark Campbell

- posted November 10, 2010 01:18 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Slightly off topic: Didn't Edwards at one time have 2 theaters close together in Valencia and one eventually closed? And did the 2nd Edwards theatre close before or after Mann closed their 10-plex?

John J. Fink

- posted November 10, 2010 04:07 AM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't the first Digital IMAX install in a built from the ground up traditional IMAX. Regal converted a genuine IMAX of theirs in Williamsville, NY at Regal Transit Center to digital for Resident Evil. I'm not sure if they also converted their Pointe Orlando site, which was originally an original IMAX opened (and then closed) by Muvico.

I'd be curious to see if AMC and IMAX will downgrade Lincoln Square to digital.

Jeff Arellano

- posted November 10, 2010 07:07 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.. There was a Mann 10 first that opened off Cinema Dr just to the east maybe a mile. It closed like in the 90s. Cinema way still exists.

Then Edwards opened a 10plex in the mall. This location closed and was converted to shops during the bankruptcy.

The Grand Place 11+IMAX opened last.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted November 10, 2010 11:26 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
So there WAS another Edwards in the area (other than the Canyon Country 10). I wasn't sure if the listing we had here was just a duplicate for the Grand Palace or was actually another theatre entirely.

Mark Campbell

- posted November 10, 2010 11:29 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes at one time there were 32 screens in the same zone.

Jeff Arellano

- posted November 10, 2010 05:59 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
The 10 plex was located at the end of the mall right down the street from the Palace. You entered it in the mall if I remember correctly. I believe the food court is in front of it. I can't recall what stores took over the theater site.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.