CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Cinemafusion IMAX May Be Closed (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cinemafusion IMAX May Be Closed
Eric Gieszl

- posted July 16, 2010 05:13 PM      Profile for Eric Gieszl           Edit/Delete Post 
It appears that IMAX at the Cinemafusion at the Gardenwalk has closed. I haven't seen any IMAX features at this location since I think Kung Fu Panda.

Also, I've noticed on Yahoo! Movies that only about 7 screens are showing films at this location.

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Arellano

- posted July 16, 2010 05:35 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I called the recording and it seems that they are showing 5 movies in the all ages auditoriums and 3 or 4 in the 21+ rooms. I think this theater is the next to close in the area. I wonder what they are doing.

Jeff Arellano

- posted July 16, 2010 09:49 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I called the info line and asked if they are going to show any IMAX presentations and the girl said.. "not at this time and not in the near future"

I just have a feeling this theater has no future. I think it will he gone soon.. not even two years old yet I doubt it will see its third.. Even going as far as closing either after summer or after christmas.

Christopher Crouch

- posted July 16, 2010 11:03 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
I would suspect the IMAX auditorium has shut down due to licensing issues (i.e. either didn't want to continue paying or weren't paying licensing fees). Earlier this year, there were reports that Cinema Fusion's operator hadn't been paying bills and they've filed for bankruptcy since then.

I had heard that Ultra Star was going to take over the theatre, but that was some time ago and nothing has developed. I'm also aware that a couple of other operators passed on the theatre, due to the center's poor performance and a surprisingly bad lease.

Jeff Arellano

- posted July 17, 2010 09:02 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a very nice theater. one problem is the mall its in is underperforming.

Another problem is the fact that it never really was promoted properly. a few mentions in the OC register but beyond that nothing. It needs marketing and whomever is running it is not getting the name out. When I mentioned to friends legs go to cinemafusion they were confused.. when I said it was by disneyland they thought AMC DTD.

the way this place is hemmoraging they should cut prices to try and draw people but it doesn't seem that they are.

Danny Baldwin

- posted July 18, 2010 01:24 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure UltraStar is taking over, it's only a matter of when: http://ultrastarmovies.com/ana.asp

John J. Fink

- posted July 18, 2010 09:12 PM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope they consider putting in D-Box seats, saw Inception tonight in D-Box and I'm now a fan. Ultra Star has it in a few locations.

David Imboden

- posted July 19, 2010 07:52 PM      Profile for David Imboden   Email David Imboden         Edit/Delete Post 
Was at the theatre on Saturday. Anything not tied down (and some stuff that was) was gone.. All the LCD screens, all the show time screens, etc. We thought we were going to walk in and have to sit in folding chairs. The IMAX is closed and all the screens on the all agee side (8-14) are closed. I talked to an usher, she said they thought they were going to close down last weekend, but decided to stay open. She said that when Ultra Star comes in, they are going to be closed for 2-3 weeks and then reopen. She said most of the staff will get job offers.

Jeff Arellano

- posted July 19, 2010 09:53 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Jesus that is bad. I wonder if UltraStar will keep the 21+ lounge and theaters.

I wonder if they are going to keep the Imax light.

[ July 19, 2010, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: Jeff Arellano ]

Christopher Crouch

- posted July 21, 2010 12:47 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I've been reading, it appears they will be continuing what the theatre had been offering, but "kicking it up a notch" (ex. the 21+ auditoriums will begin offering in seat service).

While I'm sure Ultra Star will do a better job of marketing the theatre (almost impossible to do a worse job), the venue's future success/failure will hinge on whether the Gardenwalk center manages to pull something off as a whole; which is a tall order.

Jeff Arellano

- posted July 21, 2010 12:00 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Im sure they can do a lot better than Movie Experience / Sanborn / SoCal.

Danny Baldwin

- posted August 11, 2010 07:19 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw who the manager is on the UltraStar site -- good guy, knew him when we both worked for AMC. While I dislike UltraStar on the whole, I'm sure he'll do a good job getting the place back up on its feet.

Jeff Arellano

- posted August 15, 2010 11:02 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I can neither deny or confirm that the last day of operations for SoCal will be Tuesday ...

Christopher Crouch

- posted August 18, 2010 07:42 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
Ultrastar will reopen the theatre this Friday 8/20 and has showtimes up on their site now.

Danny Baldwin

- posted August 18, 2010 08:04 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how long it will take them to convert it to digital.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.