CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Regal Deer Valley 16 (Antioch CA) becomes AMC

Author Topic: Regal Deer Valley 16 (Antioch CA) becomes AMC
Edward Havens

- posted June 26, 2010 11:01 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens         Edit/Delete Post 
Happened yesterday.

|  IP: Logged

John J. Fink

- posted June 26, 2010 11:52 AM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
Regal/UA Rainbow Promenade 10 in Vegas was the other one Regal traded to AMC.

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 26, 2010 12:54 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Antioch is good for AMC. It is giving them more of a presence in the Sacramento and Cenral Valley since they picked up the Kerasotes in Mamteca as well.

I don't know if I like the Vegas acquisition. This would be there first Nevada location and with Regal and Cinemark basically owning Vegas I don't think this theater will be around long.

John J. Fink

- posted June 26, 2010 04:07 PM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
It always sounds like whenever they do these trades AMC gets the crappy locations that Regal wants to unload. The last trade they did was for two 16-plexes during the AMC Loews merger. One was in a mall owned by the FDIC.

Then again Regal now has the headache of a 30-plex.

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted June 27, 2010 06:22 AM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
AMC should have built a new theatre in Las Vegas instead of taking over a dump like the UA/Regal Rainbow Promende. With Galaxy opening a new multiplex at the M Resort later this year(according to thier website),this was a bad idea.

Eric Gieszl

- posted June 28, 2010 02:47 AM      Profile for Eric Gieszl           Edit/Delete Post 
Neither chain is trying to dump their lousy locations into each others hands. They're scrambling to swap these locations for antitrust reasons. That's why AMC is likely getting this location in Vegas. Desirable or not they don't care. The alternative of the government coming in and forcing them to break up is much worse.

John J. Fink

- posted June 28, 2010 04:36 AM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
True but I think AMC gets the short end of the stick, Regal Entertainment Group has had to divest itself of locations before (during the Consolidated purchase - a few remained with Consolidated's owner). I'm just saying I guess when AMC's hands are tired they end up having to sell off two good locations and in return they get two token sites that are less desirable than say having a theater a stadium seating theater in Chicago. Your correct, the alternative is much much worse but I think big chain only control in certain areas is very bad: it doesn't give anyone an incentive to upgrade or make the experience better.

What do I mean by this? AMC retreated from Western New York and have a single 80's era location that they must have forgotten about in Buffalo. The rest of the town is run by Dipson (a fine operation, lower prices, well run, excellent popcorn - but no stadium seating), and Regal which does better because although the experience is acceptable (the popcorn is awful) people are dumb sheep and swoon over stadium seating. If an excellent third operator or even AMC came and built a modern multiplex it would force the two dominant chains to focus on getting more competitive and Regal into providing better customer service.

I'm concerned about all this consolidation because it means people will either be forced to accept a decent or even in some areas sub-par movie experience, which will taint their view of movie going in general, they'll stay home and it'll mean the downfall of the chains...again. Case in point in reverse: a friend of mine moved to Western New York from MA and said "I forgot all theaters weren't as nice as Showcase Cinemas".

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.