CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » AMC TAKES OVER MANN CRITERION 6 (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: AMC TAKES OVER MANN CRITERION 6
Mark Campbell

- posted June 29, 2010 09:19 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like the only viable theatre in the Mann chain that isn't getting killed by nearby competition would be the Plant 16. I think the next to close could be any of the others, save the Chinese complex.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Erickson

- posted June 29, 2010 09:30 AM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say the Glendale 10 will close. The Thousand Oaks theatres still may be doing okay if the Muvico is too highbrow and expensive for locals. I'm still thinking that Regency will take over the Thousand Oaks and Westlake Village theatres from Mann.

Re: Chinese. I'm guessing Mann is riding out the Summer and either October or November the Chinese will have a new operator. My prediction is AMC.

Mark Campbell

- posted June 29, 2010 09:34 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
If AMC takes over Grauman's Chinese will it be called "AMC Grauman's Chinese 1"?

Brad Erickson

- posted June 29, 2010 09:41 AM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
I would think they would still call it Grauman's Chinese, but will call the 6 Plex, AMC CHINESE 6.

AMC makes the most sense to me. It would give them a presence in Hollywood (again) and if they could swing it with the space provided within the center they could open an IMAX screen there. I'm saying Fall, only because if Mann's lease for the 6 plex ends it probably would be during that period. The Chinese 6 openend in November of 2001.

AMC could make the Chinese a player once more. They have the Muscle to bid against Arclight and bring some 'hot' bookings there once again.

Mark Campbell

- posted June 29, 2010 09:51 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Although they no longer have newspaper ads in Seattle, AMC used to show the Cinerama as the "Cinerama 1" and they still do on internet listings. Seems like they have some corporate uniformity they have to stick with. I am still confused why they still call all their Loews acquisitions "AMC Loews ______", something they never did with the GCC theatres.

I agree AMC would probably be best for the Chinese, purely for their booking leverage. I have never been to an "IMAX-lite", nor do I intend to but it seems they could pull that stunt in the #1 auditorium of the Chinese 6.

Brad Erickson

- posted June 29, 2010 09:59 AM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
I did not realize that they listed it as Cinerama 1. Then I guess it would be Chinese 1. :-) I've never been able to figure out about Loews also. Must be a contract agreement clause.

Bill Gabel

- posted June 29, 2010 10:14 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am still confused why they still call all their Loews acquistions "AMC LOEWS
It could be how the deal is structured for building leases, taxes. Like Pacific Theatres operated their theatres under different smaller companies/corporations within the main Pacific Theatre banner.

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 29, 2010 10:34 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
How about the AMC HiHo 6 and AMC Chinese 1.
(sorry in a bad joke day phase)

Danny Baldwin

- posted June 29, 2010 01:23 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
Re: the Glendale 10. It would have to be at least 2 weeks weeks away as they're getting ECLIPSE and that movie definitely has two weekend contracts.

John J. Fink

- posted June 29, 2010 01:49 PM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
My guess on the AMC Loews thing is so they didn't have to change the signs to reflect the AMC name (they haven't really aside from menu boards). As for the Chinese, you'd think AMC would take it for the brand recognition of having arguably the most famous theater in America under their banner. But I agree that it's dumb that corporate keeps numbers next to their names: my favorite is the newly acquired AMC Kennett 1 in Kennet, MO....

As for the GC merger, their name came down pretty quickly (within two months I'd say). Loews although run into the ground still has a name brand recognition, what's stupid of coarse is you have sites (in the US) that still fly the Cineplex Odeon banner now called AMC Loews. But unlike Cinemark and Regal they haven't opened any Loews new builds (the way Century and Edwards are still used, hey why no new United Artists?)

Mark Campbell

- posted June 29, 2010 02:42 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
In Bellevue, WA there is the AMC Loews Factoria 8, but has nothing but CIneplex Odeon on the outside. Ditto for the Broadway in Santa Monica.

There are a couple newer Loews branded theatres in WA, so it would make sense for those but it seems confusing for all the Cineplex branded stuff.

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 29, 2010 03:22 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Mark - Marina 6 also has nothing but Cineplex Odeon signage up. With the rumor (from an AMC manager) that this is being converted to a Fork and Screen, Im sure the signage will finally come down.

Mark Campbell

- posted June 29, 2010 03:53 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like the Criterion would make a good Fork and Screen if AMC goes through with a new theatre on the Promenade.

Back to off topic:
The Factoria 8 in Bellevue was originally built by SRO before Cineplex took over, so if AMC wanted to be really thorough they could call it:
AMC Loews Cineplex Odeon Sterling Recreation Organization 8

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 29, 2010 04:12 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
You forgot:
quote:
AMC Loews Cineplex Odeon Sterling Recreation Organization Factoria 8

Mark Campbell

- posted June 29, 2010 04:20 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. I guess it could be:
American Multi Cinema Loews Cineplex Odeon Sterling Recreation Organization Factoria 8
- but that should be a topic of a new thread...

All times are Central
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.