CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » AMC TAKES OVER MANN CRITERION 6 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: AMC TAKES OVER MANN CRITERION 6
Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted June 18, 2010 06:11 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet Regal will go for it ala E-Walk in NYC... unless Pacific thinks they could Arclight it so close to the Cinerama dome.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Campbell

- posted June 18, 2010 09:06 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
AMC or long shot Regency

Christopher Crouch

- posted June 20, 2010 02:09 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
Another possibility is that Mann continues on with just the Chinese, until the land lease expires.

For one of the big operators (AMC, Regal, etc.) to take on the Chinese, I think there would have to be some option to develop a more viable adjoining cinema complex and a new lease agreement. Basically, CIM would need to conduct a major redevelopment on a property which they have already redevolped somewhat recently. Unfortunately, I don't see something that drastic being undertaken in the immediate future.

More likely, I could see a smaller party stepping in to run the Chinese through it's existing lease. Then, when the lease runs out, enough time may have passed to warrant another redevelopment of the property.

Some existing center tenants need to become expendable (i.e. opening space), the money already invested needs to depreciate, and some serious questions about the future of the film exhibition industry need to be answered, before such a project would be an attractive option.

Mark Campbell

- posted June 21, 2010 07:38 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there is no reason Mann would want to keep the Chinese. It is obvious their only intention is to close down the circuit by dispensing of properties as leases expire. The booking pattern of the Chinese and Chinese 6 over the last couple years shows that they have little power left and I would think that even if they kept the Chinese locations open it would only be at a loss until the right buyer/take-over bid surfaces. Having such a theatre that lives mostly from premieres only is probably not profitable.

Brad Erickson

- posted June 21, 2010 08:53 AM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Mark. If Mann were to keep the Chinese going they would be a bit more agressive with booking films. They seem to be showing less and less interest in keeping it competative with Arclight. It is mid-June and they have nothing new lined up for the rest of the month. Splice seems to be remaining until July when they book something new; whatever that film may be, and chances are it will not be that great.

Danny Baldwin

- posted June 21, 2010 10:22 AM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they could be getting GROWN UPS. ArcLight doesn't have showtimes up for that yet. And, heck, even the Crest was able to book it!

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 21, 2010 03:23 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I just have a feeling this will happen:

1) Glendale 18 will be Arclighted, Pacific will pick up the 4 plex like Sherman Oaks and Manhattan Beach.

2) Thousand Oaks or Agoura Hills will go to Regency. The other will be shut down. I have a feeling TO will go to Regency.

3) Plant will go to Regal or Cinemark. AMC will not pick it up as they have the Burbanks, Woodland Hills and Universal not far from it.

Brad Erickson

- posted June 21, 2010 05:14 PM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
My guesses.

Glendale 10 is closing, already determined.

Glendale 4 - perhaps Laemmle? It has a good location, they could work their magic and book eclectic films Pacific won't in the 18 plex.

Agoura and Thousand Oaks, I say Regency for both. They tend to take over these types of venues.

Van Nuys, perhaps AMC or Pacific. It is the only theatre in Van Nuys. It could be doing decent business. Taking over the space would act as a marker for AMC to perhaps rebuild in its spot a state of the art plex.

Chinese, I will be bold and say AMC will take it over.. Just because Mann has dumped on it does not mean it does not have life still. AMC has muscle and could bid for some blockbusters again. The 6 plex opened November 2001; and depending on the lease expiration date, it could change hands during the Fall months.

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 21, 2010 06:30 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I just noticed that Shrek 3D is playing one one screen at all three theaters! Seriously that is an overkill for that movie now.

Mark Campbell

- posted June 21, 2010 10:11 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Agoura Hills is already Regency. I think you guys mean the Westlake Village.

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 21, 2010 11:36 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha oops. Yea Westlake. The two are too close to each other.

I knew it. Just Agours came out.

Danny Baldwin

- posted June 22, 2010 05:51 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would be tough to justify ArcLighting the Glendale 18. It's only two years old, so you'd think they would have built it as an ArcLight if they intended to make it one. Also, over half of the auditoriums are VERY small, so it'd be pretty impossible to appoint them with ArcLight's wider seats and side-masking.

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 22, 2010 06:24 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
If they can Paseo anything is possible.

They are afterall going to Arclight the small and crappy Beach Cities which has more small auditoriums than any other Pacific.. Except Winnetka.

Bill Gabel

- posted June 29, 2010 06:47 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
The end of the Mann's Glendale Exchange 10 might be coming to an end sooner. Because a friend told me yesterday that another major plex will be closing in a week. And they (Mann Eng.) are ready to pull the equipment out of it. They wouldn't say which theatre complex. Another theatre is biting the dust.

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 29, 2010 09:12 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldnt be suprised. This theater has been dead for years. If it isnt, Thousand Oaks would be my next guess(since Im sure TO has been killed by Muvico).

All times are Central
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.