CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » AMC TAKES OVER MANN CRITERION 6 (Page 0)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: AMC TAKES OVER MANN CRITERION 6
Brad Erickson

- posted July 01, 2010 08:56 AM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the first I have heard of FORK & SCREEN. How awful! Can't we just have movie theatres that show just movies? So many gimmicks these days and AMC is the culprit of most of them. AMC is ruining film exhibition on so many levels. They are really awful when it comes to presentation anyway; add the distraction of serving food and the chomping of the food. This is just ridiculous.

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Arellano

- posted July 01, 2010 09:29 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
AMC has had fork and screen technically for years at Buckhead Backlot 6 in Atlanta and then in 2002 when it acquired the Framingham and Yorktown Premium theaters from GCC. The idea now has spread to keep the megas from becoming dinosaurs. In Studio 30 Olathe's case they converted one wing to Fork And Screen and it is run seperately than the rest of the theater. 13 screens as fork and screen and 17 as regular. Its not a new idea but something they have had for years.

Chris Utley

- posted July 01, 2010 09:52 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Brad: The Fork & Screen concept is an off-shoot of the Drafthouse Cinema concept where theatres serve a full menu that patrons can eat while watching the flick. Drafthouse Cinemas bave been going on since the mid 90's or so in the rest of the country. LA is just about the only place in the US that does not have a drafthouse...the closest thing we have to that is Gold Class.

FWIW, AMC did not pioneer this concept. There are a plethora of mom & pop cinemas (mostly in Texas) who have been running this concept long before AMC's Fork & Screen thing started popping up.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted July 01, 2010 11:44 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Food+Movie is the future. Especially food+movie+drinks... one stop shop for all your going out and relaxing needs. Add to that if the complex is strictly 21+ then you got yourself a true niche. I know that I would drive past numerous theatres if it meant I could go to one that served food and drinks and didn't have teens texting the whole time.

Mark Campbell

- posted July 01, 2010 12:19 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Right Chris thats what I did mean. I think its a great way to keep smaller older plexes open or at least "downsize" a slow megaplex. Seems like some of the dine and drink theaters can play same day and date with the regular theaters in the same zone. Must be cause its a specialized thing?

I have a friend in Los Feliz who swears by Gold Class. Its the only place she'll see a movie now.

Brad Erickson

- posted July 01, 2010 12:58 PM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess people need to be constantly eating. Could explain why everyone is getting so fat, they cannot find time to put the fork down. Popcorn is not enough, now you have to have a full meal. If people think this is the way to see a film then fine. Personally, I think it is a ridiculous concept. You should just go watch the film. Dinning is a social experience that should have nothing to do with film watching.

Mark Campbell

- posted July 01, 2010 01:05 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend likes the 1st class treatment and lack of teens etc. She never really does a full meal, just drinks and an appetizer. Its the pampering that got her hooked. If you can afford it...

Chris Utley

- posted July 01, 2010 01:49 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
One day I'll splurge and take my wife to Gold Class. One day. [Big Grin]

Brad Erickson

- posted July 01, 2010 02:04 PM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I am in the minority on this. When I go see a film I like to have no interuptions and I like it quiet. Perphaps I like Arclight Hollywood so much because I can get that, and if I choose to Nosh I do it before or after I leave the theatre. The Arclight provides the Teen-Free environment and the perfect film watching experience.

Jeff Arellano

- posted July 01, 2010 02:22 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Fine print in Brads last post about Arclight:

*applies to Hollywood only. Teens do run rampant at Pasadena Arclight and I am sure will at Beach Cities Arclight.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted July 01, 2010 02:29 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the dining experience isn't for the sake of eating all the time, I find it would be useful for those times when you want to grab a bite and then see a 7:30 show but by the time you get off work and to the theatre it's 6:45 already and you don't want to rush through a crappy fast food meal.

If I can meet friends for a movie, go to my seat and get a meal that I can eat at a leisurely pace while enjoying my movie then that's what I want. Why should I have to go to the 9:30-10:00 show just because I want to get food after work?

Chris Utley

- posted July 01, 2010 02:37 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
When these Fork & Screens finally do hit LA, my film clubs will be all over them! All of our events consist of dinner & a movie anyway. Be nice to do both under one roof!

...actually, we DO do both under one roof when we go to ArcLight Hollywood. But that's mostly scarfing down plates at 6-6:30 in order to get to our seats by 7-7:15. No fun at all!

Mark Campbell

- posted July 01, 2010 03:02 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
The nice thing is that there are options out there...at least in metropolitan areas.

Back to the Criterion: AMC seems to be booking the Santa Monica theatres like they do in Burbank with the same film playing in multiple locations. Almost all the films are playing at at least 2 theaters, and in the case of Twightlight, all 3! This means you have a choice to watch it in an AMC environment, a Mann environment, or a Cineplex Odeon environment. I prefer the Criterion over the other 2.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted July 01, 2010 03:39 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
It is strange how chains are booking nearby theatres nowadays. Now that it's not such a prestigious big deal to have it "Showing on 4 screens!" they seem to be spreading their movies out so people don't show up to one complex and get told "Oh sorry... that's playing across the street."

Jeff Arellano

- posted July 01, 2010 04:05 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
That was the issue at Burbank all the time. Customers would miss their movie cause they went to the wrong theater. Then would expect a free ticket because they were inconvenienced for being dumb and not reading the right theater. For santa Monica it won't be so bad since two theaters are across from each other and the third a block and a half away.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.