CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Havens called it -- ArcLight Beach Cities to come this Holiday season.

Author Topic: Havens called it -- ArcLight Beach Cities to come this Holiday season.
Danny Baldwin

- posted June 10, 2010 05:01 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
The story is here. The Pacific in El Segundo will be given the ArcLight treatment... which makes sense geographically, but I gotta say... I'm surprised they went with what is regarded as a grimy, teenager-filled theater... It's going to take a lot of good PR to get the more affluent, older ArcLight crowd to bite.

[ June 10, 2010, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 10, 2010 05:16 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
That theater is HORRIBLE. I've been there several times. This means all the teens will have to go see films they can afford at the AMC galleria. I'm sure also they will play all first run films again at the Manhattan Village 6 like they do at Sherman Oaks. Right now the 6 plays mostly art movies.

Danny Baldwin

- posted June 10, 2010 05:33 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
It will be interesting in terms of how the bookings spread out. Up until recently, the Sherman Oaks 5 was almost completely moveovers from ArcLight and I was convinced it was done. This summer so far, however, they have gotten lots of first-run films.

The Manhattan Beach 6 has always been more conducive to art film than the Sherman Oaks 5 just based on clientele, so I would think the MB6 could continue to play lower-profile indies that won't gross high enough to receive prime ArcLight placement.

Isn't the parking situation at the Beach Cities plex really awful? Wonder what ArcLight plans to do about that.

Chris Utley

- posted June 11, 2010 08:25 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That theater is HORRIBLE.
Co-sign 1000% [barf]

Hopefully they'll close it in July and knock down a couple of shoebox walls so they'll actually have more than 2 auditoriums worth seeing a movie in!

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted June 11, 2010 10:04 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never gotten a good picture of the Beach City 16 because of the parking problem. Never worth it to me to go find a place to park just for a few shots.

One thought on this whole Arclight thing... it seems like Pacific is just rebranding their profitable theatres to be in line with their better brand much like National was doing with the Cinema de Lux name. After having visited some of those theatres it makes me wonder how National thought they could get away with remodelling four auditoriums at one of their Showcases and call it "de lux". Half the auditoriums still had low back rockers, probably the same ones that were installed with the original slope seating.

I'll be interested in seeing the BC16 after it's remodelled since it will be the oldest of all the remodelled theatres. Wonder how far they'll take the Arclight theme.

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 11, 2010 11:07 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I can see Pacific (and Mann) disappearing eventually. For Pacific, Arclight used to be where you would see the movies at, now its being too drawn out.

Pacific could close down Commerce, Sherman Oaks, and Manhattan Village as they are the only theaters that don't really follow Arclight (well and the fact they still have the Vineland DI)

I've been saying "The Grove will eventually become an Arclight". Ill stick to this. Grove, Glendale and Culver City could all become Arclights with Pacific's new model it seems.

Pacific is bastardizing the Arclight name with Paseo and Beach Cities. Small Screens doesnt fit the original Arclight model.

Chris Utley

- posted June 11, 2010 01:41 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Small Screens doesnt fit the original Arclight model.

For you out-of-towners, ArcLight Hollywood is (STILL!) the only ArcLight complex built from the ground up (except The Cinerama Dome). The rest are all conversions of (DUMPY!) pre-existing Pacific locations.

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 11, 2010 01:53 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
So Chris, I think you must agree with my statement: Pacific is bastardizing the Arclight nam

Christopher Crouch

- posted June 12, 2010 04:35 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
It's my understanding that the Decurion Corporation (Pacific's parent company) is focused on the Arclight brand, as their cinema future. As such, I would asume they are planning to convert what they can and phase out sites that aren't viable for that concept.

While the Arclight brand has proved much more lucrative than their standard Pacific sites, one does have to wonder if that will continue to be the case. In addition to these converted locations being scaled back versions, the special attraction and unique offering factor(which has been the key to Arclight's success) might become diluted as more Arclight venues hit the market.

Eric Gieszl

- posted June 12, 2010 11:08 PM      Profile for Eric Gieszl           Edit/Delete Post 
Parking is much improved in recent years thanks to the structure across the street.

I'm in agreement though that this is one of the WORST STADIUM CINEMAS EVER BUILT. Even the two large auditorium have a terrible design with the entrance being next to the screen.

The affluent crowd of Manhattan Beach and the South Bay won't be fooled into going to this location to see movies. Reserved seating and premium prices command a premium experience which cannot be delivered with the current configuration of this building.

Edward Havens

- posted June 26, 2010 11:00 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course I called it. [Big Grin]

And here are my next calls:

Arclight Lakewood. Early summer 2011.
Arclight Culver City. Late fall 2011.
Arclight Commerce. Spring 2012.
Arclight Chatsworth. Late fall 2012.

Arclight Grove. Not until 2015, if ever.
Arclight Glendale. Not until 2018, if ever.

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 26, 2010 12:26 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
You forgot Arclight Northridge in Summer 2012 and the newest concept: Arclight Vineland. A true Drive and dine in experience. The first stadium driving experience with an all new speaker concept that plugs in to your aux input to your car for full digital sounds.

Chris Utley

- posted November 09, 2010 09:16 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Now is when I insert my fat foot in my fat mouth... [Rolling on Floor Laughing]

Me and my film club SoCal Movie Fanatics will be checking out the place - as special guests of ArcLight themselves(!) - on Saturday. I'll send a report.

Jeff Arellano

- posted November 09, 2010 10:04 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Take pictures haha.

Chris Utley

- posted November 13, 2010 10:59 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Posted my report on another thread. But...the place is OFF THE CHAIN! After spending the day here, I will never go to AMC Rolling Hills or AMC South Bay Galleria again!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.