CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » AMC Magic Johnson Crenshaw 15 to close (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: AMC Magic Johnson Crenshaw 15 to close
Bill Gabel

- posted June 10, 2010 01:22 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
AMC is planning to close this plex. prnewswire

|  IP: Logged

Chris Utley

- posted June 10, 2010 01:59 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

FRIGGIN WOW! Now Rave 18 will become a bigger zoo than it already is!

Bill Gabel

- posted June 10, 2010 04:41 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
A new state of the srt plex will open sometime in Nov..

Danny Baldwin

- posted June 10, 2010 05:06 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
This may also give the LA Live 14 the bump in attendance I hear it needs. Or, God forbid, might be enough to keep University Village alive a little longer.

I admit this theater's reputation rendered me too much of a wimp to ever go--a friend from my days at AMC was a booth manager there and told me all kinds of stories--but I was very tempted to see several Tyler Perry movies there over the years. Heard that was a fun experience.

Also, the new plex will open in November 2011, not of this year.

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 10, 2010 05:13 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Lakewood's Pacific 16 will also get a boost. I may try to email Johnson industries and see if I can go snap pictures. This was MJ's first theater and Loews only ground up build here in Los Angeles.

Danny Baldwin

- posted June 10, 2010 05:28 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you'd want to talk to AMC, and you'd probably do best just by calling the theater at (323) 290-5919 and asking for a manager or OC. They'll be a lot more uptight about it than Rave was--when I closed an AMC in San Diego, we couldn't even TELL the public we were closing 'til 3 days before--but it's worth a try. Loved your Beverly Center set and would like to see all of MJ. Worst case scenario, though, somebody's just gotta go snap what they can as a patron.

Danny Baldwin

- posted June 10, 2010 08:43 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
Closing is this Sunday, by the way.

Chris Utley

- posted June 11, 2010 08:27 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Danny is right. AMC completely runs the place...not Magic.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted June 11, 2010 09:59 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Before we went to Indianapolis I got a response back from AMC about taking photos saying they'd consider it. I think because of the Kerasotes transaction about to take place they never got back to me. Were I to have thought about it I probably could have emailed them about the Baldwin Hills plex.

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 11, 2010 11:09 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I will try. I am going to be gone today and tomorrow. I wont be back till sunday. I didnt expect it to be this soon that they close.

Eric Gieszl

- posted June 12, 2010 11:02 PM      Profile for Eric Gieszl           Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you guys ask for permission at a location that's closing? I respect the fact that you do ask, but when a location is closing I kind of feel like the rules don't really matter in the final days.

Surprisingly, I've been to this theater. When I worked for The Bridge I went to this location for a tour. I'm a little surprised that it's closing.

If you can get a tour, ask to see Magic's private viewing area upstairs.

Danny Baldwin

- posted June 14, 2010 12:00 AM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they're asking for permission because it allows them the ability to turn on the house lights between sets and photograph all the auditoriums and also photograph the booths... You wouldn't have access to those privileges without it.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted June 14, 2010 09:39 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
With the right camera and a tripod you really don't need the house lights on, sometimes the work lights ruin photos if you ask me.

I like to ask for permission so some control freak manager doesn't get super touchy and kick me out when I snap the first shot in the lobby. I figure it's best to let people know whenever possible so they don't jump to the wrong conclusion and think the wrong thing. In the case of a closing theatre I've had managers still freak out on me because of the corporate brainwashing (posters are copyrighted! you can't take pictures!).

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 15, 2010 10:55 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry guys, wasnt able to get out there. Was out all weekend.
I'll see what I can do though....

Chris Utley

- posted June 15, 2010 01:47 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Place may very well be gutted by the end of the week. Hope you can make it.

This theatre had a mural of legendary African American film/TV/stage performers on it's interior walls as you entered the complex. It was truly a thing of beauty. I'd love to know what they're planning to do with the scraps.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.