CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Regal Dropping Two Edwards in LA? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Regal Dropping Two Edwards in LA?
Jeff Arellano

- posted May 07, 2010 09:52 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
One sounds to be true, the other sounds not right at all.

First off, the one that seems to be correct. Apparently, Edwards will pull the plug on the Edwards Atlantic Palace 10 sometime in the future after the opening of the AMC down the street. This theatre opened in 1991 and was state of the art at the time. Im sure the lease was a 20 year lease and will be up soon as well. This theatre recently has been mostly for moveovers from the Renissance, with family films opening here for the most part it seems. All the blockbusters open at the renissance.

Now the one that had my mouth drop......

Apparently Edwards may be closing down the West Covina 18 after the summer. This theatre opened in 1996 I believe. There were apparently rumblings that the city wants to redevelop the area with office buildings. Barnes and Noble is rumored to be moving later this year to the mall (possibly in the vacant space that was Steve and Barrys). The food court is virtually vacant now and Best Buy had moved as well. Wicks has been vacant next door for years as well.

|  IP: Logged

Matthew Lok

- posted May 07, 2010 11:21 AM      Profile for Matthew Lok   Email Matthew Lok         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jeff. If its true about the Edwards Atlantic Palace 10 closing, than I will be bummed. Not devastated, but at least bummed. Well thats until I found about how the AMC MP ATS 14 is. Thanks for your dedication to our passion!

If the West Covina 18 goes, I'm not sure how I would feel. I think it has different themed auditoriums which are nice. But to many losers go there.

Plus in of the auditotiums, I do not remember the number, it has a weird wall/"pit" design. The row I'm talking about is the one behind/right next to the walkway that lets you walk left to right inside the auditorium. Also, the Auditorium in question has this big swirly WHITE art deco like piece just to at least the right side of the screen which I find distracting.

Jeff Arellano

- posted May 07, 2010 11:35 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
The edwards wc18 has suffered a lot since the opening of the AMC, but holds its own. It rarely gets busy nowawdays.

Bob Allen

- posted May 07, 2010 12:00 PM      Profile for Bob Allen   Email Bob Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't Edwards now owned by Regal?

Chris Utley

- posted May 07, 2010 12:14 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob is right...Regal would indeed be the ones doing the dropping as Edwards only exists as one of Regal Entertainment Group's brand names for their theatres.

Jeff Arellano

- posted May 07, 2010 12:24 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, yea. True. OK, I'll fix it. Regal dropping two Edwards.

Matthew Lok

- posted May 07, 2010 12:55 PM      Profile for Matthew Lok   Email Matthew Lok         Edit/Delete Post 
How did I overlook the accidental error in the thread title '.' [Big Grin] Because I was in a hurry to post.

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 11, 2010 12:56 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/16237482/700-W-Main-Street-Alhambra-CA/

The Palace is for sale!

Also, the Palace has been getting moveovers and really bad films lately. This week they had an indian film. This theater is on its final days.

Todd Erwin

- posted June 23, 2010 10:32 AM      Profile for Todd Erwin   Email Todd Erwin         Edit/Delete Post 
They did drop Triangle Square, finally, and turned it over to Starlight.

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted June 25, 2010 01:02 PM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
Regal/UA East Hills Mall 10 closes its doors Sunday,June 27.

Jeff Arellano

- posted September 19, 2010 08:53 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I just noticed that this weekend the Atlantic Palace started a $3 any ticket any show policy. The first REG discount theater in LA. This theater is now in borrowed time I feel.

West Covina continues to soldier along it seems.

David Pulido

- posted September 20, 2010 01:35 PM      Profile for David Pulido   Email David Pulido         Edit/Delete Post 
Regal can probably afford to lose those. They are building a new theater under the Edwards brand in Santa Monica. Theater will open in 2012.

Mark Campbell

- posted September 20, 2010 10:29 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Any link to info on this new Santa Monica theatre?

Chris Utley

- posted September 21, 2010 11:18 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
David, are you perhaps confusing Santa Monica with Santa Maria? According to Regal's website, there's an Edwards being built in Santa Maria...but nothing on their website shows any upcoming builds in Santa Monica.

Besides...doesn't AMC have Santa Monica completely locked down - they own all the 3rd Street theatres...and will replace one of them with a brand new plex in the next year and a half.

Danny Baldwin

- posted November 16, 2010 01:41 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like the Atlantic Palace 10 will be put to rest this weekend. Showtimes are only posted through Sunday, which is usually the clear sign a location will close.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.