CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Seat Design: AMC vs. Regal/Edwards, vs. Krikorian.

Author Topic: Seat Design: AMC vs. Regal/Edwards, vs. Krikorian.
Matthew Lok

- posted April 28, 2010 05:12 PM      Profile for Matthew Lok   Email Matthew Lok         Edit/Delete Post 
So I did a search first on here and on Google.

?(1)I was wondering if AMC has a Patent on their seat design?

I find them the most comfortable. Than Edwards. I have not been to a Regal ever. Whether it be the Regal LA Live 14 or any other one.

My second choice for "comfortable" seats if I had to pick one even though I don't like them. Is like Edwards Renaissance 14 Alhambra. They are too upright.

For Krikorian, I just HATE! their seats. I'll only go to sit in the back row. Its sad for me to say because the Krikorian that I go to and its only about 10 mins from house (Pico Riviera, CA), is very nice. I find their seats head rest to jutted out. I'm 5 feet 11 and my head hits that thing dead center and is uncomfortable for my neck.
Krikorian PS: I wish at Pico they would have BLACK or at least like dark brown curtains around the screen instead of light beige colors. Its kind of distracting.

Thanks. I can't wait for you to share your knowledge.

1 EDIT: Edited put that I hate the rocking motion of the Edwards Renaissance 14 Alhambra.
I don't mind rocking motion in the seats, like the Edwards Atlantic Palace 10 (I enjoy that theater), but not when the seats are to upright.

[ April 28, 2010, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: Matthew Lok ]

|  IP: Logged

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted April 28, 2010 09:01 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Though I haven't been inside I wouldn't be surprised if the seats at the newer complex in Alhambra were the same type that Regal puts in a lot of their locations since it was one of the first Edwards to open after the company was bought by Regal.

As for patents on seats I doubt it's patented though now that you mention it I've never really seen the older AMC seats with the fixed bottom seat in any other company's theatres. Their newer red velvety seats are similar to what most other chains are putting in.

Christopher Crouch

- posted April 29, 2010 01:36 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
AMC's seats aren't patended (the terms "Loveseat" and "arm rests that lift up so you can cozy up" are trademarked), but they do maintain an exclusive deal with their manufacturer. It's basically a stock model that is slightly altered, so as to be unique to AMC.

John J. Fink

- posted April 29, 2010 10:29 AM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
Kerasotes has similar seats to AMC in their new builds - although I agree I think AMC's are wider.

Matthew Lok

- posted April 30, 2010 11:43 AM      Profile for Matthew Lok   Email Matthew Lok         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all your replies. The AMC I visit the most is the Santa Anita 16 Arcadia, CA. Red nice comfortable plus velvety seats. I like sitting in the first row behind the railing so I can put my seat up.

AMC COVINA 30

Same seat design I BELIEVE as Arcadia, but with nice "obscure" black velvet seats.

Eric Gieszl

- posted May 01, 2010 11:09 PM      Profile for Eric Gieszl   Email Eric Gieszl         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know none of the exhibitors are in the seating business. They all use outside companies to outfit their auditoriums. Also, I don't see consistency even in a single chain.

For example, AMC has the original "megaplex" seats at Norwalk 20, Fullerton 20 (Stadium-Side), Rolling Hills 20, Burbank 6, and Promenade 16. There is another type of seat found at the Block 30 and then Downtown Disney 12 has rocking chairs that seem to be unique to this location. The newest complexes like Tustin 14 and Del Amo 18 have an entirely different rocking seat.

Christopher Crouch

- posted May 02, 2010 08:23 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
You'll notice different seating between the generations of theatres, not only due to styling choices changing from era to era, but given runs of theatre builds fall under different contracts. Example, back in the late 90's AMC utlized the Premiere Seating Company for a few years, then went with Irwin Seating for their next cotract.

Funny story about those first generations stadium seats. Back when the AMC Norwalk 20 opened, the modern stadium concept still had a few "bugs" to be worked out. One of the more notable early "bugs" was how the seats were attached to the stadium risers. First generation seats mounted on the vertical back wall of each step and didn't have floor mounts. During a VIP night walk through, it was discovered that longer anchor bolts were needed, as a group of guests sat down and their seats came loose, sending the VIPs scrambling as the row sagged to the floor. The seating issue was quickly fixed, but I think that incident played a significant role when the next generation of seats was decided upon. If I recall correctly (I can't remember if it was Norwalk or earlier, at Woodland Hills), the VIP night also had a projection problem in the film, then company ceo/chairman, Stan Durwood was watching (he demanded that everyone in attendance be issued a free pass, even though the vast majority were AMC employees).

Dave Felthous

- posted May 03, 2010 11:53 AM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
All of Regal's seats come from Erwin. New theaters vary in design but all have the same Erwin seats.

Matthew Lok

- posted May 22, 2010 09:31 PM      Profile for Matthew Lok   Email Matthew Lok         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the help guys.

ERIC: All the theaters listed (except for Rolling Hills 20 and Promenade 16), are on my list to visit. Even Norwalk. I think they will be next one. I got honest curiousity to see the split (old/new) Fullerton. I want to checkout these theaters even more now you said they have different type of seats, and just to experience. Thanks again.

Christopher Crouch

- posted May 23, 2010 03:13 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I got honest curiousity to see the split (old/new) Fullerton. I want to checkout these theaters even more now you said they have different type of seats, and just to experience.
Due to Fullerton's 8/10/20 expansion over the years, at one time, you could see three different eras at the theatre. The late 90's stadium mega plex style in auditoriums 11-20; early/mid 90's multiplex style in auditoriumss 2 & 3; Late 80's style multiplex in auditoriums 1 & 4-10. The stadium side had/has the first generation stadium seats (they've been refurbished, so they look slightly different now), auditoriums 2 & 3 had the plastic shell seats with AMC logo cupholder armrests, and the remaining auditoriums had the generic metal shell seats that were in most theatres during the 80's. There were also significant differences in the three areas' overall decore/ammenities.

Unfortunately, you are a few years too late to experience the "old" side in it's full timemachine glory. A few years back, they did some remodeling, which matched the three decore themes closer and replaced all of the "old" side's seating (still not stadium, but modern). However, you can still experience AMC's first generation "high impact theatre system" (aka HITS) in auditoriums 2 & 3.

If you want to see the original stadium seating (prior to refurbishmwnt), here is a picture from a staff meeting held shortly before the stadium side's opening in 97': Picture

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.