CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Regency acquires Mann Village and Mann Bruin

Author Topic: Regency acquires Mann Village and Mann Bruin
Danny Baldwin

- posted March 29, 2010 07:19 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
Check it out--appears to begin April 1:

www.regencymovies.com

So Mann IS out after all.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Utley

- posted March 29, 2010 10:32 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Edward Havens is THE MAN! He indirectly let the cat out of the bag, the wise among us caught it, and he played a classic Pokerface the whole time!

Chris Utley

- posted April 26, 2010 01:22 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the Village on Saturday 4/24 with my film club to see "The Losers" (R-rated concept neutered down to PG-13 level execution). Regency looks to have exclusively booked with Warner Bros for both this and the Bruin. Both theatres featured upcoming WB/New Line flicks in their poster cases and all the trailers were WB/New Line.

House was roughly 10% full (that's 10% out of over 1000 seats for those unfamiliar with the place). No more Screenvision preshow - curtain was closed & stayed that way until showtime. Trailers/feature all ran on film. Did not take a tour of the joint to confirm whether or not DP is still installed here (I will try to hook up a tour with Regency's management the next time we see a flick here). Film print was clean & sound was top notch.

Hopefully my fellow film nerd Angelenos continue to support this place. Yeah, Arclight is the new king of the LA jungle, but there's no reason why the Village/Bruin can't rise up to their former level of success. A tell tale sign of how open the gate is for a re-awakening: Many of my film club members had never even been to the theatre before! After our visit, they'll be coming back!

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted April 27, 2010 09:49 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Are any of Mann's remaining theatres actually viable or are they just stuck in leases? I can't imagine that as a movie theatre that the Chinese makes that much money.

Bill Gabel

- posted April 27, 2010 10:10 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
As for the Chinese Theatre, Mann Thetares owns the building for only 13 more years, when their 99 year ground lease expires. A company called CIM owns the land. So the Chinese Theatre's ground lease expires in 2023.

Brad Erickson

- posted April 27, 2010 11:06 AM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
Mann was pretty much showing only Warner/New Line product during the remaining days of thier leases. Looks like Regency is following for the time being. AMC books mostly Universal, Fox, Paramount (who also used to be always Mann) and some Sony into the AVCO. Landmark books Disney into the Regent. I'd say, at least for this year the booking paterns will remain the same for Westwood.

Christopher Crouch

- posted April 28, 2010 12:21 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are any of Mann's remaining theatres actually viable or are they just stuck in leases? I can't imagine that as a movie theatre that the Chinese makes that much money.

A few of their remaining theatres still pull in decent business. As for the Chinese (Grauman's and the six plex), I would think special events/rentals account for the bulk of that site's current revenue.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.