HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Regency drops two

Author Topic: Regency drops two
Edward Havens

- posted March 10, 2010 09:31 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens         Edit/Delete Post 
In the past couple weeks, the Los Angeles-based Regency Theatres has shuttered the Fairfax 3 and the Redondo Beach 3. I still remember when the Redondo Beach 3 was five screens in three different buildings and seeing films like Pete's Dragon and The Empire Strikes Back there.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel

- posted March 11, 2010 06:23 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
On the Fairfax Theatre the owner did not want to fix the roof of the theatre.
While it was operated by GCC as the South Bay Cinema. The original house was a single and later twinned and later tri-plexed. They also built a large single on the other side of the bowling alley. This was a big house which they later twinned, but when it was a single it was a nice large house. And across the parking lot across a small street there was a third large house built which was 70MM equipped and THXed. When GCC built a newer large complex they dropped the former South Bay Cinemas. The large twin and the third house were razed. Rengency picked up the original house in front and operated it as a budget second run house.

Mark Campbell

- posted March 11, 2010 09:17 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody should let Scott Neff know another old GCC has bit the dust.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted March 12, 2010 04:33 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I felt something off in the force. Now I'm just pissed off I never took the time to see a movie down there and get pics.

BAD SCOTT! BAD BAD SCOTT!

Danny Baldwin

- posted March 12, 2010 06:22 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm mad at myself about it, too. Last September, they were finally playing two movies I hadn't seen and I was going to hit a double-feature, but it started to rain so I decided I didn't want to make the trip. Alas, I wish I had.

The Fairfax, on the other hand, will always hold a special place in my heart, even if it had its fair share of flaws.

Mark Campbell

- posted March 12, 2010 06:34 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott I have a dim picture of the main house of the Redondo tri-plex. Not sure if I have sent it in. I can tell you the lobby had definitely been updated in the 80's with the 80's GCC wood theme and rounded railings etc.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted March 12, 2010 09:37 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah -- you sent it in. Wish we had more pics... ah well. Maybe some Regency folks will send in some things.

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted March 13, 2010 11:07 AM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
The Fairfax had awesome midnight showings of "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" featuring the "Rainbow Carnage" cast. They now do occasional shows,usually a Friday slot,at the Nuart.

The only time i went to Redondo Beach was in the GCC days in the 80s to see "Rocky Horror" with the cast i was in from San Bernardino. Good times.

John J. Fink

- posted March 14, 2010 11:42 PM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
The inside pics of Redondo Beach remind me of a former GCC here in Williamsville, NY/Buffalo - the Eastern Hills III. Buffalo was a market GCC had a strong presence in, not to change the subject but there's lots of old school GCC plexes around of both the 70's era (Eastern Hills) and 80's-early 90's (McKinnely, Market Arcade), many operated by Dipson Theaters. Eastern Hills still has a shadowbox in its large house.

Mark Campbell

- posted March 15, 2010 10:01 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Both these theaters that Regency is losing have the same configuration for their triplexing split: main auditorium consisting of the front half of what what the old auditorium accessed by a central hallway flanked by the two smaller auditoriums which are in back corners of the old auditorium.

Also, the Redondo beach has an interesting note that Scott Neff might like: apparently during the mid '80's remodel they painted the old school GCC currogated metal on the walls red and left it.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted March 15, 2010 08:41 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Ewww no wonder nobody liked this theatre after the split.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.