CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » ArcLight Pasadena set to open soon (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: ArcLight Pasadena set to open soon
Bill Gabel

- posted March 02, 2010 08:36 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
Pacific Theatres is converting their Pacific Paseo complex into ArcLight Pasadena in time for the summer 2010 season. Just got an e-mail from them on this.

|  IP: Logged

Danny Baldwin

- posted March 02, 2010 09:08 AM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
Where will the Pasadena teens go now!? [Wink] First the One Colorado goes luxury, now this. They'll be driving to Arcadia or Alhambra... or *GASP* seeing indies or moveovers.

Even though I love the original ArcLight, I think the Sherman Oaks job was disastrous and I'd expect this one to be similar. I've only been to the Paseo twice and, despite the criticisms of some, found it a pretty good place to see a movie. This just seems like the easiest attempt to squeeze out $3 more a ticket from an area that can afford it.

Chris Utley

- posted March 02, 2010 09:35 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
They're trying to cut into Gold Class's action. Don't know if it'll work. Folks who attend Gold Class swear by the place.

Danny Baldwin

- posted March 02, 2010 10:41 AM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
But how much business is Gold Class really stealing? The max seating capacity of the biggest auditorium is what, 50?

Chris Utley

- posted March 02, 2010 10:51 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
50 X 6 X 28-32 (the ticket price range). AND the ticket price doesn't include food. Do the math. [Rolling on Floor Laughing]

The BALLERS will continue to go to Gold Class. Everyone else will go to Arclight.

Brad Erickson

- posted March 02, 2010 11:09 AM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
I have not been to this theatre or the Sherman Oaks theatres. But I would imagine converted Arclight is not up to parr with "Hollywood" standards. Arclight Hollywood is a superbly designed complex. I am not a fan of multiplexes, but the Archlight Hollywood is the except to my rule. Each auditorium is flawless in design, with high ceilings, and great sightlines from wherever you sit. I'm never uncomforatable and yet to have a bad experience at Arclight Hollywood.

Chris Utley

- posted March 02, 2010 11:17 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Arclight Hollywood was (to this day) the only Arclight built from the ground up (except, of course, the Cinerama Dome portion). I call Sherman Oaks "Arclight Lite" because it's basically a near-micro condensed version of the Hollywood location. I suspect Paseo will be the same way.

I'd love to see another one built from the ground up, though.

Mark Campbell

- posted March 02, 2010 02:23 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Those in the know answer me this: I know a theatre gives back a percentage of each ticket sold to the studio and that percentage is on a sliding scale that starts at virtually nothing for the theatre in the first week or two and begins to expand more in their favor as a film's run progresses. Now for ultra premium venues such as the Gold Class cinemas (or to a lesser extent Arclight) where the price of the ticket also includes amenities such as food or drink or conveniences such as assigned seating etc., does the studio still get the same percentage of the premium priced ticket as it would a regular ticket at a regular theatre for the same film on the same week of its run? (So would the studio get 90% of the $35 gold class ticket as it would 90% of the $8 Century North Hollywood ticket for the same film on the same day?)

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted March 03, 2010 11:35 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is currently being debated by some studios at least in regard to the added fees for 3D movies. The exhibitors say they're using the added ticket price to cover the cost of the 3D glasses where the studios say it doesn't matter, it is their advertised ticket price and they deserve a straight percentage of it.

Now Gold Class may have some super legaleze setup in their contract with the studios, but if not I would assume that the $35 has all the necessary costs built in so that the exhibitor doesn't lose the share needed to justify the food/drink.

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted April 30, 2010 07:59 AM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
Opening Date:Friday,May 7th

Matthew Lok

- posted April 30, 2010 11:40 AM      Profile for Matthew Lok   Email Matthew Lok         Edit/Delete Post 
QUOTE Richard S.: Opening Date:Friday,May 7th

The soon to be Arclight Pasadena is not too far from my work.

Thanks for posting that. I was going to post it but I ddin't (I don't know why). I don't remember if its was on Pacific's website or the General Arclight site, but one graphic said Summer 2010. But your right Richard, posters say May 2010 as well. Thanks again.

Chris Utley

- posted April 30, 2010 01:26 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
They've been adverstising the May 7th opening date for the past month in their LA Times ads, their website & their Twitter & Facebook pages.

Matthew Lok

- posted April 30, 2010 01:37 PM      Profile for Matthew Lok   Email Matthew Lok         Edit/Delete Post 
Your right Chris. On their site they say May 10.

Chris Utley

- posted April 30, 2010 01:38 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
They've been adverstising the May 7th opening date for the past month in their LA Times ads, their website & their Twitter & Facebook pages.

Danny Baldwin

- posted May 01, 2010 02:49 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
They're showing movies in select auditoriums right now, much like Sherman Oaks did before its opening. Good time to go, too, because not many people know, clearly. Looks like very few tickets have been purchased for tonight, for instance.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.