CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Regal Terrace Cinema 6 Closes/Reopens

Author Topic: Regal Terrace Cinema 6 Closes/Reopens
Jeff Arellano

- posted February 09, 2010 05:02 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Closed and immediately reopened as a Starlight Cinema. First run still and lower prices. I wonder how long this will remain open.

I went to this theatre back early last year and it was a decent cinema, nothing too spectacular but it had a very odd layout.

http://www.starlightcinemas.com

|  IP: Logged

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted February 10, 2010 09:58 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
How is it I've never even HEARD of this theatre??? Is it that old Krikorian that replaced that other 9-plex in the area?

Also I'm glad that this little chain of theatres found themselves a name.

Christopher Crouch

- posted February 10, 2010 10:56 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
I've wondered about Starlight Cinemas for some time now. Until recently, they didn't brand their theatres and seemed to pick up unusual sites as first runs. They ran late night television commercials for their Garden Grove and Anaheim Hills venues for a year or so. They were the first to go all digital in Orange County (long before anyone else was serious about it); even at their Garden Grove four plex. They operate first run, but at unusually low prices. Etc. Etc. Basically, they don't appear to operate under the standard theatre business model.

Jeff Arellano

- posted February 11, 2010 11:37 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, the Krikorian 9 plex you are talking about is now the Regal 13 in Palos Verdes...It was in the old mall that was later converted to an outdoor mall. Its technically still there. The 9 screener was morphed into 13 when Regal added 4 more screens on the top level of what was a department store. The lobby was moved here too.

This is a 6 plex that used to be a Krikorian. I think it was opened by Krikorian. Its on Western Ave at Coddington and located more towards San Pedro than Palos Verdes.

Christopher Crouch

- posted February 12, 2010 03:14 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
The old mall theatre was originally a six plex and Krikorian's first theatre. Company folklore held that George Krikorian grew tired of carting his kids a distance to watch movies (i.e. he saw a need in the Palos Verdes area) so he approached the mall about opening a theatre there. Being a real estate tycoon and race horse owner, not a cinema person at the time, he hired a guy named John Dolmage to be the resident "theatre expert" and manager (I worked for this "expert" at Buena Park and don't have much of anything positive to say there). The theatre was a huge success and launched the original Krikorian chain (which he later sold to Regal and went on to launch his present day chain).I'm don't know anything about this theatre on Western.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted February 12, 2010 10:18 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy that this 1995 photo is still up somewhere with the Krikorian name on it.

Jeff Arellano

- posted February 14, 2010 02:24 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
That is definitely the same theatre! It still looks like that in front minus the Krikorian logo. Inside has the look of a Krikorian (odd lobby design).

I went to the Regal 13 on Friday and you can tell where they added on. Theatres 6-13 are the old theatres (I was in 6), there are two large theatres (6-7) with 6 smaller theatres (7-13).

The concession stand that is closed there might be the original stand from the days of Krikorian. I don't know where the 9th old auditorium, seeing as auditorium 5 could have been it, or they merged two smaller in the old wing.

Theatres 1 - 4 are angled off the side of the stand forming another "wing". These are the third level of the former department store. in theatre 3, there is a post they kept off to the side of the theatre as you enter in (its an odd thing since its at the side of the screen in your vision from anywhere in the upper stadium area).

Eric Gieszl

- posted February 17, 2010 03:28 AM      Profile for Eric Gieszl   Email Eric Gieszl         Edit/Delete Post 
None of the original Krikorian Peninsula Cinema 9 exists. The original 9-screen cinema was entirely removed when the mall was converted to an outdoor center in 1999. The Regal Avenues 13 occupies very little of the original complex. It primarily use the space of the former May Co department store. They tore down this portion of the original 3rd floor so they could raise the roof for Regal. Screens #10 - #13 reside on top of the original location, but nothing was retained.

Here is a little history on the two Palos Verdes complexes. Peninsula Cinema 6 opened on June 29, 1984, was expanded to 9 screens on June 18, 1986 and closed in January 1999. Terrace Cinema 6, I believe Krikorian's third complex (Upland 8 his second), opened in May 1990 in a shopping center in Rancho Palos Verdes bordering San Pedro.

Most of the story above about how George Krikorian got into the cinema business is correct. However, he was actually forced to sell his theater chain to Regal when he got a divorce. The only location he retained was the La Mirada 7.

Also, some may remember the well publicized fire in the wall between screen #1 and #2 that delayed the opening of the Peninsula Cinema 6 for several months. At the time the center was called The Courtyard Mall.

Regarding the Regal Avenues 13, there are two large houses (nearly 400 seats) #4 and #8, three medium houses (approx 300 seats) (#2, #6, #9) and then three small houses (approx 150 seats) #1, #3, #13 and five more (approx 80 - 100 seats) #5, #7 and #10 - #12.

As mentioned several screens #1, #3, and #13 have a single odd support column within the auditorium, but they don't actually block the view. They're on the side and the only view of the screen they obstruct is the aisle into the auditorium.

The second unused concession stand in the lobby was originally a Regal Cafe serving alternative concessions. It's been closed for several years.

Jeff Arellano

- posted February 18, 2010 10:55 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Did not know that Eric. Thanks for clearing it up.

It looks like though the screens 7-13 look like they would be the former theatre the way the corridor angles up and goes up in elevation to the other auditoriums..

Eric Gieszl

- posted February 27, 2010 08:57 AM      Profile for Eric Gieszl   Email Eric Gieszl         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff I can understand why it may appear that way. There's also a joiner in the floor outside #6 that makes it appear that way. It's very similar to how the new and old buildings at the nearby AMC Rolling Hills 20 were attached.

Jeff Arellano

- posted February 27, 2010 02:43 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats what I recognized first too. I still love how they did the addition for Rolling Hills, by adding 13 screens to the south, making the old 6 stadium, and using the old lobby as the last screen. I do like how they kept the old concession area (albeit remodeled) and the restrooms down there.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.