CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » how many screens did the Halls Ferry 14 have when it opened?

Author Topic: how many screens did the Halls Ferry 14 have when it opened?
Bradley Higgins

- posted December 14, 2009 08:16 AM      Profile for Bradley Higgins   Email Bradley Higgins         Edit/Delete Post 
The earliest memories I have the theater had six screens. Did it start with five or six?

|  IP: Logged

Chris Utley

- posted December 14, 2009 08:55 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
6. I was there on opening weekend 1978. Saw "Return From Witch Mountain" with my mom and a bunch of other moms and kids.

Bradley Higgins

- posted December 14, 2009 08:32 PM      Profile for Bradley Higgins   Email Bradley Higgins         Edit/Delete Post 
We went to see Disney's Cinderella in 1982 and it was sold out there were lots of other parents and kids trying to get in to the same movie. We came back the next day and ended up in the front row our eyes were watering like crazy. That was when Disney rotated their movies in theaters every so many years. Why did that place close?

Kyle Muldrow

- posted December 16, 2009 11:51 AM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
It's all about one thing: money. This place just wasn't generating the traffic like it was in the days you and Chris mentioned, and after Wehrenberg went through bankruptcy, they decided to close any theater that wasn't generating a lot of revenue...and the Halls Ferry was history. Plus, North County just doesn't seem the right place to support a big theater like it used to be.

That's my take...if you think I missed anything, feel free to add.

Bradley Higgins

- posted December 17, 2009 10:37 PM      Profile for Bradley Higgins   Email Bradley Higgins         Edit/Delete Post 
Everybody is running away from North County. The area around the old theater is a ghost town. If the Regal 18 hadn't opened the Jamestown 14 would be doing much better.

Ray Zacher

- posted February 22, 2010 11:36 AM      Profile for Ray Zacher   Email Ray Zacher         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm from north St. Louis originally, and after Ike took my parent's house for I-70, we moved to Jennings, then to Florissant after I got married. Moved to the Cincinnati-area in 1992 where I currently live. Every time I go back to St. Louis to visit, it's painfully obvious why north county is becoming a has-been for anything. Everything that is new lies outside I-270, and that's where the money is perceived to be. Great memories abound of all the theaters and drive-ins the area once hosted. Yeah, the Halls Ferry opened with six screens. The Jerry Lewis theater was a two-screen, and I remember it was re-named Hall's Ferry after JLT went belly-up. Then they built the HF6. There never was a theater at the intersection of Old Hall's Ferry & Parker Rd.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.