CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Regal LA Live Stadium 14 - Los Angeles, CA (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Regal LA Live Stadium 14 - Los Angeles, CA
Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted November 11, 2009 12:20 PM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're sucking it up, Eric, I wish you'd suffer more silently. Hey, I wish you were in a w/c instead of me!

|  IP: Logged

Rich Charles

- posted November 11, 2009 01:36 PM      Profile for Rich Charles   Email Rich Charles         Edit/Delete Post 
this has really taken an ugly turn...

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted November 11, 2009 02:28 PM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
I've calmed down,thought about it and would to apologize,Eric,for what i said. While i don't agree with you on this,it was wrong to say what i did. It won't happen again.

Robert Crabtree

- posted November 11, 2009 09:40 PM      Profile for Robert Crabtree   Email Robert Crabtree         Edit/Delete Post 
Just want to start off by saying- I'm NOT looking to fan flames, or single anyone out. I just want to explain a viewpoint and clarify some info. Regrettably, in my typically long-winded fashion.

At my alma mater, a deaf professor taught all levels of sign language. While he was positively reviewed across the board, he was definitely a litigious person. In one instance, he sued his home owner's association for failing to accommodate him at what was a very important/required meeting.

His stance/experience was that if he were to wait for the benign (and not so benign) negligence of those in charge to give way to ACTION to accommodate himself and other disabled folks, accommodation would never happen without legal action.

A second professor in a wheelchair, an instructor I hold in high esteem for her remarkable accomplishments, echoed a similar stance.

My own experience? In a previous position years ago, I sat down with my supervisor, and weeks later, his direct supervisor. I explained to BOTH that a long overdue improvement to the work environment would not only accommodate my own disability, but would ultimately improve functionality for ALL involved- employees and customers.

I was not asking for a luxury, mind you. Simply the removal of an obstacle to performing my job to the best of my ability, an obstacle that would affect me in a more profound way than others.

Response? "We'll see." Nothing ever happened of my request. I face a similar problem in my current position. While I generally enjoy my job, appreciate my supervisors, and feel that my contribution is valued by them, I know that short of litigation, I will NEVER be accommodated unless I throw a pack of lawyers in their direction.

And perhaps my knowledge is off, but ADA never banned new builds to be less than 300 seats. Rather, an elevator was a required accommodation to build an auditorium larger than 299. A req I believe was rescinded IF new builds provided for handicapped seating at multiple levels of the theatre. If a theater company was too cheap to do either, that is NOT the fault of ADA or its revised form.

That's my 2 cents- and first post. How bout a return to the topic of the shiny theatre in El Lay?

Rich Charles

- posted November 11, 2009 09:53 PM      Profile for Rich Charles   Email Rich Charles         Edit/Delete Post 
"And perhaps my knowledge is off, but ADA never banned new builds to be less than 300 seats. Rather, an elevator was a required accommodation to build an auditorium larger than 299. A req I believe was rescinded IF new builds provided for handicapped seating at multiple levels of the theatre. If a theater company was too cheap to do either, that is NOT the fault of ADA or its revised form."

So what are the basic rules for this settlement... I guess I have never heard of it before...

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted November 11, 2009 10:41 PM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
That was the best thing about the Cinemastar Empire 20 in San Bernardino. One of the screens(#9)had wheelchair seating in the back that was accessible by elevator. I'm sure there were others but that's the one i remember the most. from the very top you could see everything. Hopefully,when Maya Theatres reopens the theatre(which was supposed have already happened but will now,again,hopefully,happen next month)they don't screw with it. But,since they're supposedly putting in an IMAX screen,they probably will.

Eric Gieszl

- posted November 11, 2009 10:44 PM      Profile for Eric Gieszl   Email Eric Gieszl         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to apologize to Richard for upsetting him. I’m not here to insult those who are in wheelchairs. I'm not against helping them and accommodating them either. My original post about the 299-seat rule being stupid wasn’t meant to suggest that I am against them.

Chris while not specifically looking at the accommodations for the disabled mentioned something that possibly suggests that the Regal Premier auditorium may not be as accommodating to the disabled as it possibly could be. The problem with such definitions is that they often result in the architect doing the “minimum” to simply adhere to the rule.

My point is that these laws and or settlements prevent innovation that may actually improve their situation. It’s the typical solution to every problem in the United States – just pass a law.

Does no one else understand my point? Again Richard, I apologize for saying something that upset you.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted November 13, 2009 09:10 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow -- a lot happens here on the one day I was away from my desk.

I'm pleased to see everybody getting along again.

Chris Utley

- posted November 13, 2009 10:42 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott: Did y'all (the CinemaTour newsroom) get my pictures?

John J. Fink

- posted November 14, 2009 07:48 AM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
Quick question: is it mandatory for theaters seating more than 299 to have top access via elevator or would a multiple level entry (ie: perhaps the theater opens on to the mid level of the stadium seating providing wheel chair bound patrons seating on the medan )? A theater can be well constructed in that patrons using wheel chairs can get excellent seats.

Most of the late 1990's stadium seating builds were awful in this respect, at best they would open on to the 4th row, a bad seat in the house, even worse for the disabled. I understand the ADA requirements although it still appears a lot of theaters are built where for whatever reason 299 is the magic number, most of the auditoriums are only slight improvements over their later 1990's counterparts if you ask me. While I'm perfectly able bodied the seats set aside for this abled quite frankly still suck, if I get to a popular show late I will have to take seats near those assigned for handicap patrons and their companions and I'm annoyed at the site lines. I can't imagine what it's like for someone with a limited range of movement. Granted it's rare I see a wheelchair bound patron at the movies - I'd like to propose this question to Richard (sorry for getting off topic): what chains are doing the best jobs with this issue in their new constructions (and those modified under ADA settlements) and who's not. Personally AMC and National Amusements seem to do a pretty good job (National's newer auditorium style has sloped floor rows in front separated by 3-4 steps from the rest of the theater)? I'm familiar with one new Regal which seems just okay, better in larger theaters. Also I went the new Keratoses in Secacus, NJ and the theater I was in was pretty good (entry at the mid-point in the theater seating). Your thoughts?

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted November 14, 2009 08:26 AM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
Of the big chains,AMC is my choice for exactly the reasons you state. Of the smaller chains,San Diego based Ultrastar also has good seating for wheelchairs. Mostly up in the very back with a half wall separating the wheelchair from the back row seats,at least in the Fontana California location i'm familiar with.

Harkins Theatres has its wheelchair up front but it's not as painful to the neck and back as,say,Regal(Edwards being the exception,IMHO.)

Chris Utley

- posted November 16, 2009 03:45 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Getting back on topic...again...

I went back here on Saturday (11/14/09) to see "A Christmas Carol" and "2012". "A Christmas Carol" was in their one size fits all regular auditoriums. The 3D was decent and the sound kicked but, but, of course, 1/3 of the screen was masked to fit the 2:35 projection of the film. [moon]

As for "2012", I saw it in the Premiere Cinema. Sound wise, it packed some of the best sound in the city! The bass rumbled, the low frequency effects pounced in your chest, the surrounds were all crisp and the center channel sound was clear and clean.

And I regretably can confirm that the Premiere Cinema is top masking...AND HOW! I guess-timate that they had to cover at least 1/3 of the screen to show the 2:35 image. The "First Look" preshow was set at full masking...then they did the aforementioned dropping of the 2 waterfall curtains. When they raised the maroon curtain and the trailers kicked off, I said to myself "Why is the projection so friggin low?". And then as the clear curtain got raised, I got my answer!

Screen size notwithstanding, the presentation in this room is pretty spiffy. I think that once you get over the masking issues, you'll enjoy a good action/FX heavy show in here.

Danny Baldwin

- posted November 19, 2009 02:02 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, is there somewhere one can find the showtimes for the premiere auditorium specifically online, or do you just call the customer service line to find out every time?

Chris Utley

- posted November 20, 2009 08:34 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
To get Premiere Cinema showtimes, you have to call Guest Services or check out the big Regal ad in the LA Times - they list the specific showtimes there.

Brad Erickson

- posted December 23, 2009 05:24 PM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
Are these theatres doing well?

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.