CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Regal LA Live Stadium 14 - Los Angeles, CA (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Regal LA Live Stadium 14 - Los Angeles, CA
Chris Utley

- posted October 28, 2009 08:26 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going on Sunday afternoon. The game plan is to catch the Premiere Cinema showing of "This Is It" and then to snoop around the rest of the joint as best as I can. If they have ticket takers policing the floors of the regular auds, my snooping will be limited. Also, my digital camera was left in a car rental 2 weeks ago so I can't take any pics.

|  IP: Logged

Eric Gieszl

- posted October 29, 2009 03:37 PM      Profile for Eric Gieszl   Email Eric Gieszl         Edit/Delete Post 
From the Variety article:

"The concert film will unspool on the multiplex's 14 screens at 9 p.m., following the nearby Nokia Theater premiere."

I thought the premiere for This Is It was going to be in the Regal Cinema. That's kind of slam on this theater and I agree I don't see this becoming a premiere house.

Chris, when I want to snoop around a new theater I usually ask to speak to the manager. If it's not too busy, that introduction usually results in a tour of the complex or a welcome invitation to look around.

Chris Utley

- posted October 29, 2009 04:02 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
They had the premiere at the Nokia because it seats over 5000 folks. I think that was their plan all along.

Just had another thought: I probably won't be able to fully "test drive" the theatre - and the depth of the Premiere Cinema's (and the others) screen until they run a more regular schedule. "This Is It" looks to be 1:85. We won't know what's the deal with 2:35 films until "2012" and other films fill up the complex in 2 weeks or so.

I'm still going on Sunday.

Chris Utley

- posted November 01, 2009 07:54 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Riding the Metro back home after test driving this joint...

As feared, it turns out that this is another typical Regal boredomplex. Premiere house is large...but the other 13 are all standard issue Regal auds with fixed length 35-40 foot screens with top masking. The seats in the "largest" of the 13 seat a whopping 290 folks each.

And...the Premiere Cinema looks like it may be top masking after all. They do have a bit of presentation going on in there. After the Regal First Look thing is done, they lower not 1 but 2 waterfall curtains - a sheer white one followed by a maroon one. Both are subsequently raised when the trailers start.

Cute as that may be, it still doesn't hide what we knew all along - this theatre stinks! Arclight ain't got nothing to worry about!

Christopher Crouch

- posted November 03, 2009 04:16 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, I'm thinking the political muscle of Regal and AEG will draw far more premieres and attention than this venue truly deserves (the current buzz is already unwarranted). Yes, the big house is impressive and they have included some premiere oriented amenities (VIP areas, separate entry, etc.). However, as Chris mentioned, the overall theatre is nothing special. Aside from the big house, the theatre is no different from what you'll find at just about any other new Regal. I really hate to think of this place drawing attention/business away from established, and more deserving, L.A. showpieces.

David Au

- posted November 03, 2009 10:28 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that this Regal Cinema will probably not cause much business to be lost at other theaters. Once people see the 13 tiny theaters, they will return to their regular theaters.

The few people who will patronize this Regal Cinema are probably the same ones who are satisfied by bland multiplexes such as some of the AMCs in the area. Crowding might be slightly reduced at those multiplexes.

Classic theaters in the area have their own loyal customers and will not see any significant loss of customers.

Chris Utley

- posted November 04, 2009 10:37 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
I was actually able to take pictures of the inside and outside of the theatre (thanks to my shiny new iPhone). I sent them to the CT Newsroom. Hopefully they'll get posted soon.

A bunch of shots from inside the Premiere Cinema all came out dark but hopefully they'll show up.

Rich Charles

- posted November 04, 2009 02:56 PM      Profile for Rich Charles   Email Rich Charles         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you think everyone, like the normal public, really pays attention enough to the screen size vs. another theatre, or do you think it is really just an "in house" crowd that pays attention to those things?

David Au

- posted November 04, 2009 04:47 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
I only got interested in movie theater architecture in the past few years. Before that, I was just a normal average movie theater customer. As an average customer, I did notice the tiny multiplex screens when they started showing up in the late 90s. Prior to the multiplex craze of the mid-90s, there were many single screen theaters with huge screens. Those were classic.

Young people these days don't know what they are missing. Many of them are too young to remember what movie theaters were like before the small screened multiplexes arrived.

Older people know better and seek out movie theaters with huge screens. However, across America there are cities where the only theater in town is a boring multiplex with small screens.

Some people settle for mediocre sized screens these days because they just don't want to drive to another theater farther away. Multiplexes do offer a bigger selection of movies. Sometimes the movie you want to see is only available at a multiplex. You grudgingly go to the multiplex and see it on a small screen because you can't find it anywhere else nearby.

Chris Utley

- posted November 05, 2009 11:08 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, today's generation is being cheated out of the experience of pristine motion picture presentation. While the advent of home theatre systems is a good thing, nothing they build compares to the experience of seeing a film on the big screen. Big screens accurately capture the scope and depth of the films in which they project.

Yes, you don't need a big screen for something like "Paranormal Activity" or "Saw 19" (or whatever number they're on!). But, at the same time, a nice 70 foot screen does wonders to capture the panoramic vistas of such modern day classics like "Star Wars," "Superman," "Alien"/"Aliens," "Die Hard," "Terminator 2" and countless others as well as the upcoming "2012", "Avatar" and "Iron Man 2". There is a HUGE difference between seeing "Iron Man" at Regal and seeing it at Arclight Hollywood/Cinerama Dome. Same movie - 2 totally different film experiences.

Those of us who gush at our memories of "Star Wars" do so not just because of the movie but, also, the theatre we saw it in. There ain't a person alive from that era who cannot vividly detail the sequence of curtains opening, extended 20th Century Fox logo blasting from the theatre speakers, seeing "A long time ago in a galaxy far far away..." and then that opening blast of music with "Star Wars" reverse zooming on the screen followed by that long panning overhead shot of that Star Destroyer. Big screens & big theatres were made for moments like that!

But as any of our "old school" CinemaTour regulars will tell ya, that "Star Wars" experience was the culmination of years of big screen showmanship that followed films like "Lawrence of Arabia", "2001 A Space Odyssey", "This Is Cinerama" and dozens of other films in which the presentation of the films themselves and the theatres they were exhibited in was just as important as the movies themselves.

The art of showmanship in theatres is being lost. And that's why folks are staying home. It ain't cell phones. It ain't texting. It ain't rowdy teenagers.

Eric Gieszl

- posted November 08, 2009 07:39 PM      Profile for Eric Gieszl   Email Eric Gieszl         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you think everyone, like the normal public, really pays attention enough to the screen size vs. another theatre, or do you think it is really just an "in house" crowd that pays attention to those things?

If you've been reading the negative publicity over the Digital IMAX garbage then you'll quickly realize that the "average" moviegoer pays attention and knows a large screen when they see it.

Go read Yelp! or any of a number of blogs.

What's a shame is the fact that the ADA screwed theaters with their stupid lawsuit. Now we're stuck, no punished, by the fact that most new cinemas built will seat less than 300 people. That lawsuit really accomplished a lot.

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted November 10, 2009 07:35 AM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait...ummm...
So are you implying disabled people shouldn't go to the movies or that we should only sit in front,craining our necks,risking neck injury? What if the person is mobility impaired and can't transfer from a wheelchair to a regular movie seat? Does seeing a person in a wheelchair sitting in what could have been "your seat" offend you?

Does my being in a wheelchair offend you? Help me understand your postion here. I'd really like to know.

Chris Utley

- posted November 10, 2009 12:01 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
The best large auditoriums that I've seen with ADA/wheelchair accessibility are the AMC "Colossus" auditoriums (like the one at the AMC 30 At The Block in Orange County). Audiences enter the auds from a midway point between 2 sets of stadium seating with the ADA level seating right at the midway point. No craned necks. No eyes going darn near blind trying to follow the action. Practically the best seats in the whole house. Why didn't/wouldn't most theatres adapt to that floorplan?

Richard: The Regal Premiere Cinema is accessible from 3 levels: Ground, 2nd Floor & Balcony - although I don't recall seeing any wheelchair accessible spots on the main stadium seating level. Maybe the back of the auditorium - I'm not sure.

Eric Gieszl

- posted November 10, 2009 05:28 PM      Profile for Eric Gieszl   Email Eric Gieszl         Edit/Delete Post 
Typical. You write some thing like I did and suddenly its inferred that you're against the disabled. I'm used to it and I like being controversial.

Fact - Life isn't fair. We all have our own personal issues and challenges to face. I just suck it up and deal with what comes my way.

Are the ADA laws fair to the "private" business owners? No. Is going to the movies a right written into our constitution. No. Is a private owned movie theater on private land a public building? Not in my opinion.

My point is the lawsuit accomplished nothing. The accessible seating is still in the same location, but only in a smaller auditorium with a smaller screen. Therefore, we all loose.

The settlement also defined what was required, so no further innovation or improvements from theater owners are necessary or attempted for fear of another lawsuit. Therefore, those requiring accessible seating loose again.

The 299 number is your typical stupid "draw a line in the sand" type of rule, because it's impossible to define a truly ideal and real solution because every situation is really unique.

It's too bad the disabled advocates wouldn't work with the theaters to come up with innovative, unique solutions and be willing to compromise along the way. In other words, a win some and loose some type of approach. Instead they resorted to the court, where in my opinion they lost for all of us.

Chris Utley

- posted November 11, 2009 09:50 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Typical. You write some thing like I did and suddenly its inferred that you're against the disabled. I'm used to it and I like being controversial.

Fact - Life isn't fair. We all have our own personal issues and challenges to face. I just suck it up and deal with what comes my way.

Wow...that WAS rude and insensitive!

[Mad] [moon] [barf]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.