CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Los Angeles: Laemmle Grande 4 Closing

Author Topic: Los Angeles: Laemmle Grande 4 Closing
Jeff Arellano

- posted September 30, 2009 08:38 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Im sure the University 3 will soon follow

quote:
As Downtown gets sets to welcome one theater, another is already waving the white flag of surrender. Citing impending competition, the Laemmle Grande 4-Plex will close its doors on October 25, two days before the opening of the Regal Cinemas Stadium 14.

Laemmle Director of Operations Kevin Gallagher confirmed that the staff was informed of the announcement on August 1.

While the company discussed the option of focusing on art films or commercial crossover indie films, it felt that the specialized market needed more than locals to fill the house.

"It's always been difficult to bring people downtown and even though the image of the city changing, we felt it was best to close the doors." said Gallagher.

Hidden away, the Laemmle Grand first screened the indie films that the independent chain is known for, but changed to showing mainstream films to maintain a profit. "We've been on a month to month lease for a while now, and managed to break even. It's always sad to close a theater," said Gallagher. "I don't know what our niche would be at this point."

|  IP: Logged

Chris Utley

- posted September 30, 2009 10:25 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Im sure the University 3 will soon follow
Good FRIGGIN riddance! I wasted many a Saturday from 1986 through 1991 in that place (reasons of which I discussed in another thread).

Sorry to see the Grande go, though. I think it would find success as an arthouse - given the right marketing, management & whatnot.

Danny Baldwin

- posted September 30, 2009 06:18 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
Somewhat sad news. Even though the place was beyond rundown--and that ages long "B" grade from the health department was beyond deterring--it was always a good option for cheap weekend matinees or Academy qualifiers. But I would HIGHLY doubt anyone would want to take it over.

I guess the only plus is, since it won't go art/specialty, then perhaps there's a better chance of a Broadway theater re-opening with fare that doesn't have to compete with LA Live. Nonetheless, that's a longshot.

What's sadder, of course, is that it couldn't have been the UV3 to go instead. A couple weeks after I started at USC, I thought it would be a good idea to go see a movie that fit perfectly into the two hour gap I had between classes. Needless to say, it wasn't. Between the graffiti on the seats, walls, and screen and kids skateboarding up and down the aisles during the movie, I never came back. That they try to sell the place for its DTS sound is also hilarious.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.