CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » St. Louis: Jamestown 14 closed?

Author Topic: St. Louis: Jamestown 14 closed?
Kyle Muldrow

- posted July 10, 2009 12:57 PM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Just looked on Wehrenberg's website and the Jamestown 14 Cine is not listed. It wouldn't surprise me if it closed, since the mall is not doing well and was looking at a major reconstruction, but I'm still a little surprised at this. Can anyone confirm?

|  IP: Logged

Kyle Muldrow

- posted July 11, 2009 02:47 PM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Fast follow-up: I went to the Entertainment section of the Post-Dispatch's website and that site has showtimes listed for the Jamestown 14, so I guess it's still open...but it's still not listed on Wehrenberg's website. Wonder what's going on???

David Au

- posted July 11, 2009 03:40 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
It might be possible that the theater was sold. Fandango used to list the theater as owned by Wehrenberg. Now there is no owner listed.

The theater is still showing first run films, but the ticket prices are quite low compared to other nearby theaters. They must not be doing much business.

Kyle Muldrow

- posted July 11, 2009 07:49 PM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting...the Post-Dispatch's movie section still lists the theater as Wehrenberg Jamestown 14 Cine, but the P-D is well known for not updating information very quickly.

I checked Fandango, David and you're right...those prices ($5 matinee and children, $7 adult evening show) are pretty cheap for a large theater showing first-run films. Also, you currently cannot buy tickets online from Fandango for Jamestown, which hints very strongly that Wehrenberg isn't running that theater anymore.

From what I've read, it wouldn't surprise me if Wehrenberg sold Jamestown. That mall has been struggling for several years and is scheduled to be undergoing a major renovation into a mixed-use facility...which basically means a whole wing of the mall will no longer have stores. There was also a rather nasty incident a couple of years ago, which I believe centered around somebody talking too loudly on the cell phone during the movie and a heated argument ensued. I guess whoever's running the place figured the lower prices was the only way to get good crowds into the theater. We can only hope it works.

If Jamestown does indeed close, that would leave the Regal at St. Louis Mills as the only movie theater in north St. Louis county. That's just a shame.

For the record, I saw one movie, Flatliners, at Jamestown Mall. This was back in 1990 and was in the old 2-screen theater that General Cinema had originally built and Wehrenberg took over. Never have seen a movie in the 14-screen version.

UPDATE: It appears this theater is now owned and operated by the mall itself. The following link is not official, but it does shed some light: http://cinematreasures.org/theater/6678/

[ July 11, 2009, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: Kyle Muldrow ]

Kyle Muldrow

- posted July 14, 2009 02:51 PM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
More information: The Jamestown 14 now has its own website. Check it out here:

Jamestown 14 Cine

The site says this theater has the lowest ticket prices in town...but forgot to list their ticket prices on the site!! Oops...

Chris Utley

- posted July 16, 2009 09:32 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Kyle and I had a chat about this offline last night. My thought is that Harman Meseley could snag this up into the St. Louis Cinemas wing and reconfigure it to show 8-10 mainstream flicks and 2 indie/arthouse flicks. I mentioned him since he snagged and upgraded the Galleria 6. Perhaps he could do the same with Jamestown. He mildly disagreed...but understood where I was coming from.

One thing we both agree on: North St. Louis County is a shell of it's former self. We're both 70's/80's era St. Louisians and we remember the life, energy and vitality that North St. Louis County once had - and we lament the fact that it's all but gone now.

Fred Schreiber

- posted July 17, 2009 05:32 AM      Profile for Fred Schreiber   Email Fred Schreiber         Edit/Delete Post 
The theatre is own bt the mall

Kyle Muldrow

- posted August 14, 2009 12:26 PM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
On a related note, the Post-Dispatch is now reporting that Northwest Plaza, another struggling North County mall, is going into foreclosure on Sept 1:

Northwest Plaza goes into foreclosure

There are over 20 comments on this story, bemoaning the current state of Northwest Plaza, Jamestown Mall, and St. Louis Mills. As my good friend Chris said, North St. Louis county truly is a shadow of its former self...sad...very sad...

Kyle Muldrow

- posted October 05, 2009 02:04 PM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't let this thread go dead...

Here's a recent opinion from blogger Toby Weiss, a St. Louis native and resident who made this post on her blog recently. While it's not actually about the movie theater in Jamestown Mall, the theater is mentioned. Besides, I figured any ideas about the fate of the mall directly affect the theater as well, so I might as well post it here and let people have a look.

Here it is. Feel free to comment:

Toby Weiss' BELT St. Lous blog

Bradley Higgins

- posted December 08, 2009 04:40 AM      Profile for Bradley Higgins   Email Bradley Higgins         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't the Jamestown theater built to replace the Halls Ferry 14?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.