CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Cinemark Remodeling To Look Like Century

Author Topic: Cinemark Remodeling To Look Like Century
David Au

- posted May 30, 2009 04:35 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
I have noticed that Cinemark has posted photos of some of their theaters on their website to go along with the lists of showtimes.

Some of the older Tinseltowns and Movies have had their exteriors repainted and the marquees were covered over in Century Theatres style wall murals.

The Tinseltown in Pasadena, Texas has been repainted and received a new Cinemark sign. The old Tinseltown sign is gone, and the new colors look like Century Theatres colors. The Tinseltown in Plano has also been renamed to Cinemark West Plano. I wonder if these theaters also had their interiors altered from the standard clashing Cinemark colors.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted May 30, 2009 05:37 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
The theater in Pasadena, Texas, was not a Tinseltown design, but a Hollywood USA design. Scott was there yesterday; I sure hope he went inside and maybe got some photos.

David Au

- posted May 30, 2009 07:45 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the difference between Hollywood and Tinseltown? Is Tinseltown the one with stars and Hollywood has palm trees?

Maybe they got rid of the Hollywood name in order to avoid confusion with Hollywood Theaters.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted May 31, 2009 12:28 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I was assuming the same thing with the Hollywood name. Also though I saw that they re-did one of their Tinseltowns to be a "Cinemark".

It's slightly freaky how much they're embracing the Century "look". Going into a Tinseltown and seeing the Century murals all over the place is going to take awhile for me to get over. I want to see a Cinemark with a self-serve snack bar... that'll be amazing. [Smile]

As for remodelling the Blackhawk Movies 7 -- that makes sense to put a Century sign on there... to let the locals know that they're all the same company.

David Au

- posted May 31, 2009 06:49 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
A read on some website, about how the new Cinemark theaters that have recently opened have Century decor. I saw the photos, and they really do look like Century Theatres with self service snack bars. Also, it seems like all the new Cinemark theaters have also adopted Century style seating. The chairs look like Century chairs, but they are covered in Cinemark colored fabric. That was a wise decision. Those old Cinemark chairs were very uncomfortable and hard. Also, the West Plano Cinemark got new chairs in their XD3 auditorium. The chairs are Century chairs with what appears to be a brown pleather covering. The carpet looks like colorful century carpeting.

Link

[ May 31, 2009, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: David Au ]

John J. Fink

- posted May 31, 2009 07:48 PM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
Good to see since Cinemark's look was extremly tacky - especially the older styles with the dizzying purple and green tiles - awful stuff. Theaters in general seem to be going with classier, cleaner looks.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted May 31, 2009 10:26 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting... Joliet is a Cinemark city so why they would put a distinct Century design is somewhat intriguing. It may have someting to do with there being more Century builds in Illinois than original Cinemarks. It may also have something about whether Cinemark is approached by a developer who took notice of a Century design, that they may opt to build more of a Century Theatre.

I was curious whether Cinemark would build any more self serve snack bars after those they were obliged to build tha Century committed to. It seems that they will.

As for those Cinemark seats... yeah, they put those in the Tan Foran 20. They're awful. Hopefully they'll switch over to the Irwin seats.

David Au

- posted May 31, 2009 11:07 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemark is building new Cinemark theaters with sort of a blend of Century and Cinemark decor. The Cinemark at Richmond Centre in Richmond, Kentucky has a Starcade sign just like a Century Theater and there is also a Century mural. The poster cases that Cinemark now uses are the black plastic ones like Century used to use. They don't use the gold picture framed cases any more. The color scheme is now brown and gold rather than Cinemark red and gold.

The Cinemark in Yuba City that opened a few months ago also has a self serve concession stand. That theater replaced an older Cinemark.

Cinemark at Harker Heights that opened May 22, 2008 was the first Cinemark to feature self serve concession stands and it looks like a Century. The wall lettering is Century style and there is a Starcade.

The Evil Sam Graham

- posted June 07, 2009 04:01 AM      Profile for The Evil Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email The Evil Sam Graham         Edit/Delete Post 
The Cinemark in Orem, UT, which opened last November, also uses the new Cinemark/Century hybrid decor/format. But it's not all one or the other...and some of it is completely different from either format.

Some notes I made over at Film-Tech for a movie review...

The snack bar is on the left wall of the lobby and uses a single-lane variation on Century's self-serve format. The ticket window is in the lobby to the left of the snack bar. The arcade (which got the Century "Starcade" moniker) is on the right side of the lobby. The ramp to the auditoriums has moved to the left to make way for the arcade in space that would have been the snack bar in older builds.

The lobby has a big Century mural, but the lobby and corridor uses Cinemark colors otherwise. It's NOT Cinemark's usual wallpaper though...it's all new and uses a lot of textures. Pretty nice, actually.

The auditoriums are standard Cinemark with red curtains and the big antique looking sconces. The seat bodies are the ones Century was using at the end, but it's Cinemark fabric in them. The runner lights are red and green, and are REALLY bright. The exit door is at mid-level instead of down by the screen, so there's no doors or annoying exit signs down there.

Sound is basic Cinemark, but the subwoofers here seem beefier. For now, at least. Projection is all DLP. The local paper says five of the fourteen auditoriums are 3-D capable. This auditorium had side masking and a curved screen.

Matthew Williams

- posted June 07, 2009 08:10 PM      Profile for Matthew Williams   Email Matthew Williams         Edit/Delete Post 
The Cinemark 16 in Somerdale, NJ is still using a legacy Cinemark interior, so it has the eye-straining colors and lights. (Actually that theatre is quite weird - it's a Movies 10 with a six-screen stadium addition. It's a sight to behold.)

Anyway, I did a doubletake when I saw the ICEE cups they were using there - *Century's* ICEE cups, complete with centurytheatres.com web address. At a Cinemark in New Jersey, far removed from Century's historical base. They're using Century on a lot of things in the theatre now - lobby posters, gift cards, and the policy trailer all mention Cinemark and Century (as well as CineArts and Tinseltown...)

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.