CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Renton Village 8 to close?

Author Topic: Renton Village 8 to close?
Mark Campbell

- posted May 22, 2009 01:11 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like AMC will let the Renton Village 8 go when the lease expires. A real estate agent offered it up for lease available November 2009 and posted on Cinematour.

http://cinematreasures.org/news/21108_0_1_0_M/

Owner seeking an operator to possible run as a 2nd run house. They did not mention Regal has a 13 screen Stadium 2nd run house 2 miles away.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Felthous

- posted May 23, 2009 11:04 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
The Regal East Valley 13 is running only 11 screens. There was serious winter damage to the roofs on two auditoriums and they apparently are permanently closed. I heard a rumor that it's for sale for $17 million.

I was a checker for General Cinema back-in-the-day, and Renton Village was one of my theaters when it was new. The stairs up to the boxoffice were killers. To begin with only four of the eight auditoriums had Dolby, although the big house was THX certified. A cheap-charlie policy that marred an otherwise good cinema.

Mark Campbell

- posted May 24, 2009 08:42 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if AMC dropped the THX in all of its GCC acquisitions like Regal did for its ACT III theatres. (Although I think AMC kept THX at the Avco in L.A.)

Dave Felthous

- posted May 24, 2009 02:03 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
The Eastside and South End could certainly use a theater that shows at least some indies and other arthouse stuff, which could be a possible use for Renton Village, but Landmark has a stranglehold on that kind of fare in this market, even though it has no venues outside Seattle/Shoreline.

David Au

- posted May 24, 2009 08:21 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
AMC kept THX certification at all of the theaters that they acquired. AMC Renton Village still has screen 4 THX certified.

Mark Campbell

- posted May 25, 2009 12:09 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, would be great if somebody would get creative with the theatre and program a mix of films. Laemmle did so with the old GCC Fallbrook in the West Hills area of Los Angeles. It has a mix of foreign, independent, decent Hollywood and Indian titles, and was reasonably crowded the couple times I went. The AMC Renton Village 8 books the same films at the Southcenter, Parkway Plaza and Landing so I think whatever operator it might be could have their pick of the Hollywood crop.

If no operator takes over the Renton Village 8 (which seems likely as there is the AMC Southcenter 16 and Regal Parkway Plaza 12 two miles west, the Regal Landing 14 two miles north, and the discount Regal East Valley 13 two miles south) I think Regal would be smart to do the following affirm a stronghold on the EAST Valley:

The Landing 14, North Renton: - business as usual, but sprinkle in some high-brow art fare.

The East Valley 13, South Renton: - close down, remodel and repair the damaged auditoriums, and reopen as 1st run playing the same films as Landing and Southcenter as each is within its own booking zone. The East Valley 13 has tons of parking and a few restaurant around it. People may want to choose it instead of dealing with the masses at Southcenter Mall and the Landing.

Parkway Plaza 12 (West Valley, Tukwila): - Make this theatre the discount theatre. It has too much competition from the AMC Southcenter 16, less than a mile to its north and seems to have 2nd choice for bookings, usually playing on too many screens or getting too far into their run.

Bob Allen

- posted May 26, 2009 05:48 PM      Profile for Bob Allen   Email Bob Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Mark about the film mix and have suggested that possibility to the agent for the owner. The agent also wants to see if he can keep AMC from gutting it. The other theatres in the area are only competition if the RV8 plays the same films everyone else is playing. There is a large ethnic population in that area and no one is playing to them.

Mark Campbell

- posted November 13, 2009 11:29 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
The Renton Village 8 has no showtimes posted past Sunday. This must be it...

Jerry Norwood

- posted December 01, 2009 12:33 PM      Profile for Jerry Norwood   Email Jerry Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Parkway Plaza Stadium 12 is still a fairly new multiplex (opened in 1999). The only thing it doesn't have compared to the AMC Southcenter 16 is IMAX and stadium seating in the very front rows. This theater should remain 1st run and just compete for product better.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.