CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Need Help Identifying Location Of Two New Mexico Theaters

Author Topic: Need Help Identifying Location Of Two New Mexico Theaters
Michael Coate

- posted January 16, 2009 03:23 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate         Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the CENTRE and WHITE ROXY theaters in New Mexico...

Can anyone identify in which city these two theaters were located? I believe they were in or near Los Alamos, but am uncertain and need their location verified. (I've found no references for either venue on CinemaTour or CinemaTreasures or anywhere on the web, but it's possible I haven't looked thoroughly or that entries exist under an alternate name.)

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted January 16, 2009 05:45 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
The 1933 Film Daily Yearbook doesn't list any theaters for Los Alamos, which I don't think existed as anything other than a boarding school at that time.

My next FDY volume is 1949, which lists "Hill No. 1" and "Hill No. 2". It's possible that the theaters were built as part of the Manhattan Project, when the government bought the land in 1942.

The town proper is known as "the hill" and nearby White Rock is now incorporated as part of Los Alamos.

Roger Katz

- posted January 16, 2009 08:54 PM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz         Edit/Delete Post 
The White Roxy opened in the White Rock Shopping Center on Route 4 (between Rover Blvd and Sherwood Blvd) in Los Alamos in early 1973 (or possibly late 1972). It had 193 seats and took up 2650 square feet. The screen was 10x20.

The Centre Theatre was located at 1070 17th St. in Los Alamos.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.