HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » drive-in theatres of the past

Author Topic: drive-in theatres of the past
Eddie Hilton

- posted November 20, 2008 12:46 PM      Profile for Eddie Hilton   Email Eddie Hilton         Edit/Delete Post 
I lived in Kansas up to 1977 before moving to las vegas,nv.
my father manage 1 indoor and 3 drive-in theatres
2 of them in kansas city,kansas and one in kansas city,mo.
the indoor located in downtown kansas city,ks.
if anyone out there remembers the state twin drive-in
or the lake park twin, the 63rd st.drive-in one screen
and the electric theatre please let me know.

|  IP: Logged

Larry Karstens

- posted February 13, 2009 08:42 PM      Profile for Larry Karstens   Email Larry Karstens         Edit/Delete Post 
I attended all the driveins listed during the late 50' & early 60's frequently. I am assuming that the electric theater was the indoor in KCKS. I remember that the 63rd st drivein was huge and as far as I know it was operating until recently and may still be operating. I recall driving by the site within the last few years and it appeared that the screen was still standing. Don't remember about speaker posts but it is possible that they bradcast to cars via radio now.

The Evil Sam Graham

- posted February 15, 2009 12:08 PM      Profile for The Evil Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email The Evil Sam Graham         Edit/Delete Post 
The 63rd St was twinned in the late '90's and was closed just a couple of years after that. The screen tower that overlooked 435 (with its big "63RD ST DRIVE-IN" lettering on the back side) has come down. Don't know about the rest of the property. That whole area is just trashed now. The Bannister Mall to the south closed along with literally everything surrounding it (even the Wal-Mart Hypermart) except Burlington Coat Factory. It's a big box ghost town. Very strange to drive through there now when I can remember when every one of those buildings were busy just a decade ago.

The State Twin came down years ago. The Twin in Independence and the four-screen I-70 still operate under Globe Theatres, and the Boulevard independently by Wes Neal.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.