HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Laemelle Pasadena 8 Closes

Author Topic: Laemelle Pasadena 8 Closes
Jeff Arellano

- posted November 18, 2008 07:47 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Former AMC Old Pasadena 8. Opened in 1989(?)

From their website:

quote:

After five years and a thousand and one good foreign, independent and art movies (or thereabouts)

Laemmle Theatres reluctantly announces we are ending our tenancy at the One Colorado. Sincere thanks to all our One Colorado customers for their loyal patronage.

We continue the tradition of quality cinema at our other moviehouses around the Southland and hope you can continue to visit our Pasadena Playhouse.

Other than that, no article about it. It hasn't been a successful theatre for years. When it was an AMC, it was the lowest attended theatre in Los Angeles, even some of the 4 plexes would have larger attendance numbers than the Pasadena 8.

|  IP: Logged

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted November 18, 2008 11:55 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
That's kinda of depressing. It's not that bad of a complex and as an L.A. outsider it seemed like a much better location and experience than the UA in Pasadena.

Though I suppose Laemlle did it to themselves with the Playhouse 7 so congrats to them for keeping 15 screens surviving for so long.

Brad Erickson

- posted November 19, 2008 02:59 PM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like another Regency take over. Either that or they will just gut it out for retail or offices.

Jeff Arellano

- posted November 19, 2008 10:15 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt it will be gutted for retail. The entire complex is underground. The only thing above ground is the box office and entry. I'm sure some other theatre company will grab it.

Then you have an escalator down to the projection/office level. All that is here is one door to that area. Then a 2nd escalator down to the main lobby and theatre area.

Regency already has the Academy 6 down the street about a mile or so. I dont know if they can have 14 screens here, then again, they can make this stadium and make it work.

Christopher Crouch

- posted November 21, 2008 03:23 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
It's being taken over by Gold Class Cinemas; the Australian based company that is atempting the "ultra high end" approach (i.e. $30 tickets, 50 seat auditoriums, waiter service, etc.).

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted November 21, 2008 09:49 AM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that $30 US or Australian? Paying $14 at Arclight is bad enough. In the current economic state this country is in,i'd have to politely pass on a $30 movie ticket,regardless of amenities,thank you.

Bill Gabel

- posted November 21, 2008 03:54 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
It's $30 US.

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted November 23, 2008 12:04 AM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
Gold Coast Cinemas has 2 US locations. One in Redmond WA and one in S. Barrington IL.

$32 per ticket with an additional $3 fee if purchased online.

Matinee and evening shows. Again,no thanks.

Dan Roben

- posted November 23, 2008 01:22 AM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
Just a clarification on the $32 ticket price...

That amount is for all shows on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Monday through Thursday, evening showings are $27 and "bargain matinee" showings are $22.

Obviously very expensive still.

Christopher Crouch

- posted November 23, 2008 03:30 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
And, of course, those prices don't include your food and drinks. I'm also aware that there are plans for valet parking. I'm not sure if tips are allowed/expected for the various personal service providers. In any case, you could easily be looking at $100 for two people.

While there is a niche market out there for this sort of approach, I have to question a chain that is entirely centered around the "ultra premium" theatre (especially within the current economy). Will it be able to pull in enough people week after week? I think I would be more open to the idea if it were an option, within a more traditional setup.

I also question the three locations they've announced for Southern California; Pasadena, Costa Mesa, and Ontario. Pasadena seems like a decent demographic choice, but this particular theatre has more than demonstrated that it has trouble attracting movie goers. Costa Mesa is another choice that looks good on paper, but I've been told the plan is for Triangle Square; I had thought there were plans to raze the center in the near future, but, if it does remain and that is the location, you have another theatre/location that is highly suspect. And, finally, Ontario; I'm really not sure if Ontario is suitable for the ultra premium market. There just seems like there are better location choices for such a concept in the L.A. area.

Jeff Arellano

- posted November 23, 2008 11:26 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm at a loss to what theatre they plan to use in Ontario. There is not a single vacant theatre. I highly doubt they would use the Edwards Mountain 14, unless its a new build. I highly doubt they will evict a church out of the former Pacific 10 on the south side of the city.

Plus, where in Ontario would they plan to build this at? There is no place to put it. The Market is crowded (Edwards 14, Edwards 20, AMC 30, not to mention the AMC Victoria Gardens 12 just outside Ontario, and the theatre in Claremont that just opened last year).

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted November 23, 2008 02:49 PM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
The Cinemastar Empire 20 in San Bernardino would never work,besides,Downtown S.B. is a traffic nightmare anyway.

And the Sterling 6 on the north side of town is too far for a lot of folks.

You know,years ago,this idea would have been ideal as a replacement for the AMC Commercenter 6 or the GCC Rancho 6 in Colton.

Chris Utley

- posted November 24, 2008 09:13 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
At $32 bucks, those screens better be bigger than The Dome! Or, at least, the big rooms at Arclight.

John J. Fink

- posted November 29, 2008 08:18 AM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
They aren't - what I know about Gold Class is they take over existing theaters (the first was a former Cineplex Oden site in Redmond, WA) gut the theater and take an auditorium that once sat around 150 and put in about 40 oversized seats that fully recline. Blankets are also available upon request. I've heard it described as a spa treatment of sorts. The theater has upscale finger food and drinks - all extra.

See, I actually like crowds - but I understand people's criticism of crowds: the cell phone text screens, the chatting. I like crowds that enjoy films and are respectful. Gold Class removes this element and I suppose for some films that can be fun, but I can't imagine it'd be very fun seeing (for example) the new Jim Carry movie Yes Men, with only 40 others.

Chris Utley

- posted December 30, 2008 10:38 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
So has anybody went to one of thise Gold Class theatres yet? I would LOVE to know what a $22/$27/$32 dollar movie ticket buys you...especially if food is not included!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.