CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Regency Theatres Acquires Former Mann Theatre (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Regency Theatres Acquires Former Mann Theatre
Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted November 24, 2008 04:38 PM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
I Know.right? I mean "Role Models" is the best they could do?

Sad. [Frown]

|  IP: Logged

Mark Campbell

- posted November 24, 2008 04:45 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Arclight would probably have taken Role Models if they had known it was going to open as big as it did. Even Mann must have not had much faith it because they opened it in the Chinese 6 but moved it to Graumans after Soul Men tanked on opening week.

Brad Erickson

- posted November 24, 2008 04:55 PM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
Mann does not have the clout any longer. The theatres they operate in Westwood and Hollywood are the greatest theatres in L.A., but unfortunately they cannot compete with the oversaturation of theatres surrounding them. The Chinese is a Landmark but mostly to tourists. I know many people who cannot stand going to the Chinese only because it is too congested. They love the theatre but feel its too much a headache. I pretty much walk to it from my apartment and it does not bother me. But to most it is easier to go to the Arclight, Grove, AMC Century 15 etc.

Soon, I fear we will have the pain of losing the Village and Bruin. Mann is not renewing those leases and even though the structures are Landmarks, in this economy no chain will want to sign a lease to run them as they are.

Westwood does not look to be on a mend, parking is still awful; it is depressing to walk around these days because most of the store fronts are empty, there is no shopping district. It is mostly UCLA, some movie theatres, and many restuarants. It is sad. I hope there is still a chance for them, but I am not optomistic.

In my opinion, I really do think Mann is closing shop. They are letting leases lapse, they are not making big strides in upgrades or new multiplexes.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.